Removing the HUD in the genesis Sonic games

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by GamesArePlayed, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GamesArePlayed

GamesArePlayed Newcomer Trialist

I'm making a machinima of the sonic genesis games, but I feel that the HUD would be too distracting to the viewers.

Is there anyway to remove it without ASM editing, because I absolutly SUCK at it!

Thanks!

2. GT Koopa

GT Koopa Well-Known Member Member

SonMapEd. You could just change the art to blank tiles. But wouldn't asm be easier anyway? Just search for HUD and comment out the loading code.

Also haven't we had this thread before recently?

3. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

What Koopa said.

There's another easy way to do this in s1, since the hud is an object, you can use an action replay code to remove it from the object table in memory: FFD040:00

4. GT Koopa

GT Koopa Well-Known Member Member

5. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
  6. GamesArePlayed

GamesArePlayed Newcomer Trialist

Thanks, SuperEgg!

BTW, if I put your built .bin file in an assembly, would that enable me to edit other parts of it, like the palette and level layout?

Thanks for all your help!

7. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

Sonic 3&K: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44757401/skbuilt.7z (I've posted this one a while ago in the Sonic Retro topic that GT Koopa linked, read my post there for more info).

In 99.99% of cases no, because even the simplest ASM edits require adding or removing some code, so the different amount of code will be assembled. Basically, if you adding some code, new bytes will appear in an assembled ROM, hence this bytes will shift all the data after them, which mean, if you had Sonic's art at offset $10000 for example, and 2 more bytes appeared somewhere before, the art will be shifted to $10002 offset.

You cannot use tools that work with original data locations anymore - most of the locations are different in reassembled ROM.

8. JeffCharizardFlame

JeffCharizardFlame Escape Reality and Play Video Games Member

I'm sorry if I bump this, but I'm wondering if you could reupload the un-hud-ized sonic 1 and 2 games. Gens Recording works wonders with your HUD removed s3k vlad. I just like using my own hud for that, which is why I have an lua file for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.