Reputation system

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback Archive' started by MadEchidna, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadEchidna

MadEchidna Active Member Member

I really would like to see a reputation system implemented here, similar to some help sites and wares sites. Basically, members get an incentive to be helpful and share code and other things, and it increases your rep or karma or whatever.

2. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

I was actually thinking about this recently, as I saw the Sun forums have a neat system where people can offer points for a certain question, and then give those points to whoever provides helpful answers. But yeah, good idea, I'll look into it!

3. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

Because you totally haven't shared enough code already.

Okay seriously, you walked into that one.

4. Chaos Hedgie

Chaos Hedgie I'm 30 years old, with a OC. You'll live. Member

I wonder if it boosts your karma for sharing scapegoats too?

5. Qjimbo

6. Chaos Hedgie

Seriously though, do we really need a reputation system? It probably will end up like postcount, that is boosting your e-dick.

7. Qjimbo

Well like I said, I'll look into it. A system that works will encourage people participate in discussion, and even if some people see that as an ego boost, it'll be somewhat justified since the idea is they'll be earned by helping others.

Just need to think up a system that will work well.

8. Entia

Entia FUCK Member

You say that like it's a bad thing, everyone knows that the only reason people join message boards is so they can have bigger post counts then everyone else, the entire internet is just an ongoing e-penis war.

+1 to MadEchidna's idea.

9. Chaos Hedgie

That's just a retarded generalization and you know it. -2 to MadEchidna's idea.

10. TmEE

TmEE Mélodie is powerful ! Member

Those rep systems tend to get abused...

On Sega-16 it got "fixed" by allowing positive or neutral rep only, and you can see how gave you some. No more trouble now.

11. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire Well-Known Member Member

Yes, it is... but as retarded as it is, it's a perfectly accurate description of internet communities.

12. Chaos Hedgie

Oh cool, mister "He's double standard so I'm going to be a stupid fucking dramawhore and put it into my article" replies.

Yeah so because being an accurate description totally excuses the fact that we need one. Sorry, SSRG is better than that.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009
  13. Qjimbo

Look, all thats going to happen, is in two of the forums on here, people mark if a topic is a question or not. They then can offer a certain amount of their points for it (everyone starts of with say, 10 points). When someone provides a helpful answer, they are awarded the points, then that person can offer those points for answers to their questions etc.

I think it's more an incentive to help each other than an ego thing, but obviously if it gets abused it will go. It may be some time before I get around to making it also.

Chaos Hedgie, you need to calm the hell down as well as stop dragging up totally irrelevant facts, we're all getting pretty tired of it to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009
  14. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

In before Yahoo Answers sues us for ripping off them.

15. Qjimbo

Lots of sites use that system, Sun Forums was what inspired me, but there's also Experts Exchange and many others.

16. MadEchidna

MadEchidna Active Member Member

I think that the crucial difference between a karma system and post count is karma is merit based. One EARNS karma as opposed to just posting more.

17. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire Well-Known Member Member

I lol'd.

Now, the way I act on Retro is different to how I act here for several reasons. First of all, Retro is full of random and obnoxious people, and I love it. Secondly, I'm a member of Staff here, and therefore, have a duty to act as one.

Now, allow me to point out that Retro and SSRG are different sites, and you're the one bringing up your beef about what is written in my completely random article page on the Retro wiki, not me. I would like to steer you away from your destructive path, and towards one of righteousness... or something like that. In other words, keep your grudge elsewhere.

All I was doing was pointing out that what Emily said is, sadly, the truth when it comes to the interwebs.

Now, to go back to the Reputation System, I will (get ready to gasp) side with Chaos Hedgie and say that I disagree with it. We don't need it here. That's what the rating system is for. Sure, it can only be used for topics, but so what? Many of the sites I visited that use the Rep System were rather sucky, and the problem itself lay with people letting their rep get to their heads.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  18. Chaos Hedgie

Kinda like how CulT had the emerald system and everyone thought that having all the SUPER EMERALDS makes you famous and shit.

At this stage in the game a Rep System wouldn't really be beneficial

19. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r HighKnights Member

Hahaha, I remember those good old days on CulT. =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.