Robotnik Returns 2 (SHC 2015)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Pacca, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I guess I'm a little late to the bandwagon, but posting a topic late couldn't hurt :p

Anyways, here's my ever growing Sonic 2 hack in it's current form. I haven't edited much in a while, but I'm considering jumping back in to hacking and working on it regularly after the contest. Anyways, here's some screenshots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More screenshots, a general description, credits, and the rom download can be found at the SHC page.

Please play through the whole thing (or try, at least) and leave excellent feedback. This hack hasn't seen the light of day in quite some time, so a huge chunk of the levels have only ever been tested by one person; me. I'm not the perfect playtester though, so your feedback will help make this hack truly shine!

EDIT: If you don't feel like playing through the whole game, PM me, and I might give you a completed save file... But only if you can prove that you'd be a good play tester.

EDIT2: Update! I fixed a fair chunk of the issues you all had, so here's an updated rom. It fixes some major bugs, and level issues, and is perfectly compatible with old save files. I don't think I got around to fixing everyones issues, due to limited time, so feel free to reiterate things I didn't get to fix, along with any new complaints. Enjoy :3

EDIT3: There's a new hub zone! You can choose from 3 saves, and it can now be played in the Sega Classics Emulator! Download

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Let's try it then:

Link

3. Pacca

I really appreciate the effort you put into the video, RHS. I'll go through and fix all the issues you found when I get the chance. Feel free to do a video of the full game if you feel like you have the time and energy later, the later levels have barely been play-tested by others, and you didn't even review the awesome new special stages :'(

In all seriousness, though, thanks a lot! It'll be really helpful!

4. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

There was 1 thing I do actually wan't to mention when it comes to level layout. The level layout while being good has some parts where you don't know where to go seen in the stage who is ported from Sonic 3 (Especially Launch Base Zone) since I don't remember what's it's really called on top of my head atm.

5. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Hey RHS, glad you liked the ports I did. Also this is coming together very nicely Pacguy, one thing I need to mention though with the ports, it seems like whatever sound driver you are using messed up the tempo in some of them, it's not that big of a deal, or I could just be hearing things. Anyway the layouts are pretty decent, but just like my hack yours needs some work as well, but overal not a bad experience. Keep up the work and don't be afraid to ask for more music. :p

6. redhotsonic

I struggled to keep 50 rings =P

These are only "Let's Try" videos so they last 10-15 minutes.  But in the future, I may do some "Let's Play" videos because I'm enjoying making these plays.  We'll see.

7. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

The enemy placement at the start of Retro Ruins 1 is the worst. Also, in the same act, a speedbooster sent me straight into a seesaw, complete with a badnik on it.

8. SoulCircle

SoulCircle Death is my cup of tea! Member

Apart from there being cheap tricks, the hack is not too bad! OK! GLITCHES! On the broken up brick on Hidden Palace, it's easy to clip through and fall into the pit and get sent back to the star post from whence you came. Then there is Death Egg zone, there are glitched sprites for the Chemical Plant 4 block lifts. In  Carnival Night (I think, cannot remember), there is an S monitor that is obtainable. Is this normal? And with SPEED SHOES?! I clipped through the wall after the ramp up the wall there. I think this may be a bit OP for the level. I have gotten an audio glitch or 2 from the end music when I use the figure-8 run on the capsule act. I do not agree too much with the background on Retro zone, but that's an opinion. I can't say anything past Death Egg, for I have given up to write this review. OK, MUSIC! I agree in general. I like the Sonic 2 remixes, I like the Contra music for the score screen, I like the music for... It all. Oh, and I like the way you ported in graphics, but there were cheap moves like in Carnival Night. Well, this is my after play review. Hope it helps! 

9. Pacca

@Clownacy: Thanks for the feedback! I'll read do Act 1s beginning and keep a lookout for that nasty speed booster on seesaw section.

@SoulCircle: Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the effort you put in, but it's a bit hard to read. Try putting it into a pros/cons list like so:

Pros:

• Pro 1
    • Pro 2
    • Pro 3
    • etc...
    Cons:

• Con 1
    • etc...
    It would make your future posts far easier to read.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that Super actually stacks with speed shoes; If you're super, and you grab speed shoes, you go even faster!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  10. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I forgot to mention, act 2 opens in a pretty similar way: you're probably meant to roll there, though there's not any indication, so I ran straight into two Spikers in a row.

Lost Fortress is also insane. An Eggman monitor next to a checkpoint, followed by a firing squad with no rings in between is bound to cause game overs. There's also a part where you can climb up a vertical shaft underwater (yes) in act 2, which will trap you in a box, where you will promptly drown.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  11. Pacca

I've fixed a respectable amount of the issues you've pointed out, as well as fixed the issue that makes the special stages somewhat unstable. For now, if you grab the emerald at the end, but don't have enough rings, it will make the big HPZ emerald that sent you there disappear (I've fixed this, but obviously can't update the file in the contest). When the 2015 SHC is finished, I'll release the updated version. For now, keep playing! If you get any further then Retro Ruins, add some feedback! The detailed feedback I got before pretty much ends around that level...

12. Pacca

The update I promised is here! You can download it at the OP, at the bottom of the post.

Also, an important question: Is Wood Zone decent, or should it be completely removed? If the majority of you suggest its' removal, it will be removed from the main level order, but will still appear in the level select and in the "Bonus Section". I'd try to fix the boringish layouts, but Wood Zone doesn't have nearly enough gimmicks for me to work with, and it shares it's PLCs with Merry Meadow, so adding objects from other levels would be tough.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
  13. redhotsonic

So, why not seperate them then and give Wood zone it's very own PLC?

14. Pacca

I made a small little update!
    When the game starts, you're sent to a hub area, with three saves and a no save option (which is something of a workaround for the SRAM issues the Classics hub is experiencing). There may be some other changes too, it's been a while since I worked on this, but I'm getting back in the swing of things. A link for the download will be added to the OP.

15. Narcologer

Narcologer Hell angel Member

Wow....
    wow.jpg
    I don't think that hub zone with SLZ art should be called "Hidden palace zone" and use cave-themed music.

16. Pacca

It's actually Hidden Palace Zones second act, I plan to replace the title cards and music at a later date. I kinda slapped it together for the Steam Workshop, but I definitely plan to do more work to it.

17. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Don't forget I am still available to help you with music. :p

Pacca likes this.
  18. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

I am available too. Just PM me if you would like my help! (Also, what did you think about my review? Never got anything back!!)

19. Pacca

I didn't forget :p I just have to find a fitting track...

Could you PM me some samples of your work? Also, I'll check back on the review you gave, I must have forgotten :I

Also, minor update, the title cards are fixed:
    [​IMG]
    The download link in the last edit will be updated shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.