Sonic 1 25th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by CollinAB, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CollinAB

CollinAB Active Member Exiled

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

You're meant to do that. Can you please post at least 2 screenshots so we have an idea what we're about to try (part of the rules)? Thanks.

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I personally like the fact that it isn't eye raping. I find it to be nice and clean, and furthermore, organised.

However, I dislike the fact that the graphics are nothing more than Sonic 2 & 3 elements shoved in, and it makes for an unplayable game technically speaking, considering it's just full of Sonic 1 layouts. All I'm saying is, that maybe it wasn't a good time to release this with little to no original playability.

HackGame likes this.
  4. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Music in some stages are broken.

5. HackGame

HackGame The ROM Hacker Member

So I've played the hack.

The hack feels like it's made from Sonic Hacking Studio. I don't think it's really a good or bad hack. But it needs effort than just a random software that makes hacks for you. Also, it really doesn't act like a Sonic 25 Anniversary Edition. It needs a different title to fit the hack. Just by using the studio, everyone will make the same hack as this.

6. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Which may have caused a crash for me in SYZ Act 3 in Regen, a really bad one where the whole screen went black and the music kept repeating one note that was ear raping.

7. TheFieldWarrior

TheFieldWarrior Warrior of the Fields Member

I decided to give this hack a shot, I played up to Spring Yard Zone since there really isn't anything special here, I do like the incorporation of Sonic 3 sprites and I even like the fact that you've changed the DACs to Sonic 3's, however the hack is more or less another basic hack of Sonic 1. I've been playing these kinds of hacks for about 7 years, in a way I am getting kind of tired of them, I am not saying Sonic 1 hacks with no layout edits and a bunch of stuff added onto the game can't be enjoyable but it depends on what the hacker incorporates.

Let's take Natsumi's hack SonicMT. It's a Sonic 1 hack with very little layout edits but it does have a bunch of technical features such as custom bosses and a points system that allows you to buy things that would normally be standard in other Sonic 1 hacks (Spindash, Tails and Knuckles, the Extended Camera etc), this alone makes the hack enjoyable as it adds replay value to Sonic 1. Not to mention the "interesting" Easter Egg.

I am not saying you should add anything super innovative to your hack as not everyone is like MarkeyJester or Ralakimus but you'll want to do more than just using the Hacking Studio to add the homing attack and the new music, if you feel that you can't do anything technical then you can stick to creating new level layouts, Good luck.

Jdpense and Crimson Neo like this.
  8. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Boy, this lacks any effort. I could probably make an exact recreation in an hour, even if I didn't use Sonic Hacking Studio. You can't just check a couple of boxes and call it a hack.

The homing attack is way too overpowered and goes completely against what 2D Sonic is about. It takes away the challenge when you can instantly defeat every enemy you see.

I don't recall Ralakimus doing anything "super innovative." I'm not saying that's bad since he did only release one hack. The thing about that is that the hack he did release is joke hack that consists of almost only memes, basically the opposite of innovative. The most innovative part of his hack is that it adds two other games to it (one ported from SNES but extremely basic) but adding extra games into a hack doesn't seem innovative because it isn't that useful or original. Also, most of the other content he's shown off are things ported from other Genesis Sonic games (such as Sonic CD's time travel). I don't hate Ralakimus, but I do hate giving people credit for something they didn't do.

Maybe what we each consider innovative is different.

Devon and Painto like this.
  9. TheFieldWarrior

TheFieldWarrior Warrior of the Fields Member

@ProjectFM: I was mainly speaking about some of Ralakimus's projects that he hasn't released as of yet, last year I stumbled upon the archive of the General Screenshot/Movie Thread and I saw some screenshots of some of the things he's incorporated such the Pokémon town hub, Dr Wily Castle 1 from Mega Man 2 (with a playable Mega Man) and the Punch Out mini game in Sonic 1, I thought these features were really cool and I hadn't seen anyone else attempt to incorporate these features into a hack at all. Though now that I think about it I could've picked other hackers like Esrael or Flamewing as examples since they've done quite a lot of innovative stuff for the hacking scene (I still love Sonic 2 Delta and Sonic Classic Heroes).

10. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

It's pretty neat that you ported the Sonic 3 sprites and palette, along with the spindash, and other things, but other than that, it's just Sonic 1. I personally don't believe that classic Sonic levels are fit for the homing attack, because it's rather overpowered and it can make the levels too easy.

Jdpense and MarkeyJester like this.
  11. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

Yeah, because you definitely have something to back up that statement.

Anywhoozles...
    I'm not giving this a shot until I see some screenies, either from you or from somebody else. I'm one of those people who hates having to go into something blind.
    Regardless, from what you have given me to work with, I'd say you need to add more. Maybe some new art, or a new enemy or something, even if it's the simplest shit on the planet. I'm not really that interested when everything in the hack is something I've seen several times over before. I'm getting tired of seeing the same things added to a hack over and over.

I'm not trying to downplay this as bad, as even though it's legit simplistic I can easily name at least 3 other hacks that fall far further below standards than this, but I just feel it would do a better job at gaining my interest, and that of several others, if it had some more unique content. Be willing to experiment, and don't rely on a program do everything for you. Try diving into the world of 68k ASM, see what you're able to do and what you're aren't. With time, you'll improve and eventually...who knows, you might just be the next big thing in the community.

(And please, for everyone's sanity...don't let that last bit get to your head.)

12. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

I'm surprised no one has tackled this little nugget yet, considering how terrible this kind of mindset is in hacking in general.

You should never include a feature into your hacks if you cannot justify them being there. Adding random features into your hacks without a proper use for them only serves as a good way to date it terribly. The spindash, I can understand, because this is supposed to be an anniversary game. But why the jumpdash and homing attack if you're only gonna make a hack that celebrates Sonic 1-3? Are you doing anything with it? Is the player going to have to use it in some area of the level? Do you have any real purpose for putting it in?

If you can't at least answer the last question, then the feature should not be added to your hack.

Moving on to the hack itself, it's alright, I guess. I mean, you've changed nothing outside of Sonic's sprite, and you've added nothing outside of the previous messages listed. There's not really anything to talk about really, it's just Sonic 1 with a couple of changes here and there.

Jdpense, FireRat, Devon and 1 other person like this.
  13. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Gave this hack a go myself. seems ok to me even with the small changes made, though while i don't find it much of a problem having the jumpdash and the homming attack added, Im also gonna have to go with Misinko on this one as well. having experience this before, it doesnt really make sense to have those added if their not gonna serve a purpose, not to mention that it's pretty much overused IMO. just something I think you should take into account when doing things like that. aside from that for the most part as a anniversary hack, this was decent.

14. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

There comes a time where ROM hacks such as this one are rendered as severely dated by today's norms, if only because not much outside from porting already existent mechanics and minor changes to the visual and musical approach have been truly done here, nothing new has been delivered to the table, although I will admit that it definitely be fair in quality and presentation, it cannot be delivered anything outside of a Neutral review by myself because there is nothing to truly deliver a bad review on except for the lack of dynamic changes, and that be where this ROM hack suffers, based on what I am reading in this thread.
    Basically put, this is simply Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) with partial Sonic 02 and 03 visuals alongside a Spindash and Homing Attack with some extra tracks, and while it might be decent for those that are just getting into the scene, Veterans, Legends, and Masters of the scene want something that they will come back to play often, at least once a month or season, this hack does not have that impact when compared to the major titles that I have viewed come from the forums and that is what makes this difficult from a reviewing standpoint; again, I am not attempting to badmouth this, there is literally nothing wrong with adding in things such as visuals and abilities from other games, all that it takes be further development to optimize on that in full, that be what I am saying here.

If I had truly wanted to play Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) with a Spindash, Homing Attack, and probably a few other abilities as well, then that be what the Original Mode of Sonic 01 Megamix and Sonic the Hedgehog Megamix were made for, other ROM hacks that attempt to do this for the original game Post~August 013 of 2008 are rendered as deprecated and/or obsolete unless if there be something major implemented that applies to the overall impact and flow of the title that is being played (such as playing Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) but with all of the physics and collision bugfixes from Sonic the Hedgehog 03, or adding in new mechanics for all of the enemies and boss battles that it changes up how the player's strategy while traversing the zones must be handled, those kinds of changes are what get people's attention right away in a title that does not change the layouts at all).
    Megamix (2008)'s Original Mode, Megahack: Ultra Edition, Michael Bay Vision, Beta Remake, Extended Edition, Secret Extended Edition, Lunacy, even SoniNeko and SonicNeckles, all of them bear that impact that deliver to us something totally new while not necessarily doing too much of any changes to the original game that we are able to come back to them more often than others, that is how I feel that a true 025th Anniversary Special to Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) must be approached, it simply cannot be more of the same that we have been viewing since the Late 200X decade, the people want something that will sink into their hearts and spirits and will not ever leave them, a title that they do not ever want to put down at any probable point in time; given this said, I truly do feel that this title could go somewhere if it had ever more powerful dedication put into it, I am able to view this exceeding demands if more detail and uniqueness were to be implemented, this ROM hack is nowhere complete, by any means of the word, and I am positive that others more than likely might agree with what I am saying here; if you truly want to make an Anniversary Special, then it must be something fresh and new, not anything that we are already used to or have experienced elsewhere, that gets rather old extremely quickly in the modern scene; touch up the graphics or make the music feel a bit more modern to attract more players, enhance what you have already worked upon and make it revolutionary, that be the way to take this hack to a better level of quality and performance, and if it becomes received better because of making more dynamic changes such as that, then I am more than glad to have delivered this advice, anything to get this title into a better spotlight then the one(s) that is (or are) currently on it.

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I think that tackling those moves is just as tiring as seeing them in a hack, which is probably the reason why no one's said anything.

However, that statement there...

...right there:
    ...is a wonderful statement, and should be a rule of thumb for anything in a hack, or even a game (I've bold-ed the latter half because I don't want people to only read half the quote, it should be read in full, and should be understood).

You sir Misinko, deserve praise for expressing one of the vital methods to making any great game~

16. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Did you make this code yourself, or get it from a LEGIT source?
    I ask for a reason.

17. JoenickROS

Like people have been saying already, Collin must have used the Sonic Hacking Studio program, that's where the homing attack came from.

18. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

who even cares at this point.

19. JoenickROS

Well he wanted to know.

Crimson Neo likes this.
  20. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I had no idea the homing attack was in the sonic hacking studio. I have one with no homing, but don't use it anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.