Sonic 1 source code for SegaCD

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by SonicVaan, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

(Not sure if this belongs here or into Discussion & Q&A. Feel free to move.)

Okay, so HCKTROX has completely ported Sonic 1 to Sega CD and it's mostly bugfree as I tested it on real hardware. Below I'll give you links to the original thread, the ISO&CUE and the MP3's.

However, if you want the source code so you could start a hack on it you have to send Hcktrox a PM on SGD... http://www.sonicgamesdimension.net/

Original thread: http://www.sonicgamesdimension.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=2603#post2603

Revised Source Code: http://trox.binary-division.com/public/Sonic1_SegaCD_v2.rar

SonEd2 project Files: http://trox.binary-division.com/public/SonED2_CDProj.rar
    ISO file: http://trox.binary-division.com/public/S1CD_ISO.rar
    MP3 files: http://trox.binary-division.com/public/S1CD_MP3.rar

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  2. SoullessSentinel

SoullessSentinel Newcomer Member

I don't really want to register on another forum, but I think HCKTROX would like to know that I am working on a new version of my Mega CD template he used to kickstart this project which includes these features. I've already got FMV playback via Cinepak working, I just need to clean things up and fix a few bugs, so I can hook you all up with that as soon as it's complete.

3. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I died in GHZ3 because of a collision issue with a platform, not sure if it's related to Sonic 1-28 or to this port itself.

4. SonicVaan

Mind putting the coordinates here so I can forward it to Hcktrox? Or does that apply to a lot of platforms?

5. SonicVaan

Okay, might aswell double post. (One of the staff please remove my post above...)

I edited the first post adding links to both the source code and the SonEd2 project files. You don't need to send Hcktrox a PM to get it, because he requested his brother to post it on Sonic Retro, rendering the PM request pointless. If you don't want to scroll up, get 'em here:

Revised Source Code: http://trox.binary-division.com/public/Sonic1_SegaCD_v2.rar

SonEd2 project Files: http://trox.binary-division.com/public/SonED2_CDProj.rar

If you would like to port your hack to Sega/Mega CD then go to this thread. However, MarkeyJester pointed out some problems converting SYZ and LZ.

And to clear things up, Hcktrox was talking with some members of Team Megamix yesterday and it was concluded that he was not involved in any code theft. Whatever, if you find any bugs or have any questions, please post them here. Until then, I hope this gains some peoples interest back into hacking... new hacks are unfortunately getting rare nowadays!

Happy hacking!

And if you need someone to betatest your hack on real hardware, I could. =P

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  6. SonicVaan

Sorry for double-post but ehh... update time.

Download:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
  7. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

JSYK, you can change the MP3s. I mention this since there was another project (or maybe an earlier version of this project) where you couldn't.

I'm gonna try to whip up something for this. Don't bother offering suggestions since this is mostly just a me thing, but if I do share it, it'll probably just be a track listing. But so far all I have is Le Tigre's "The Empty" (a possible reference to my attempt at a CST project for the SCD version of Sonic CD, though the original PC version would probably work better since the PC version's Past tracks are all redbook audio in lieu of PCM like in the SCD version) as the Green Hill Zone track.

EDIT: Turns out swapping out MP3s and reediting the cuesheet doesn't necessarily yield desirable results. First I just swapped out some tracks and edited the cuesheet and some songs didn't play and one played too fast. And then after editing these tracks, they wouldn't play at all. And each time it said that the runtime for all tracks was close to 256 minutes and that the limit was just around 100, and what was weird is that the new runtime was close to neither. So I've given up. In case you're wondering:

* GHZ - Palmtree Panic - Present (JP/EU version)

* MZ - Forbidden Zone by Oingo Boingo

* SYZ - Hurricane Tonight from Bubblegum Crisis

* LZ - Ancient World by Abney Park

* SLZ - Save Me by Sue Saad (from Vicious Lips)

* SBZ -  GHOST by Gackt (Theme to Japanese broadcast of Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles)

* Invincible - Softcore [Film Loop version] from Dead Pixels

* Act Cleared - Mission Complete from Double Dragon Neon OST

* Special Stage - Money, Success, Fame, Glamour from Party Monster

* other tracks TBD

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
  8. BlackYoshi

BlackYoshi Active Member Member

later can you make a port of sonic 2? because that game would look good in sega cd.

9. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Jareth247, the Mega CD follows the Red Book Compact Disc Digital Audio standard (Red Book CD-DA, alternatively Red Book, Redbook audio, or CD-DA), which specifies a limit of 79.8 minutes for total playing time for audio data. Any more than that, and you will run into problems. You're way, way over the limit, so there's where your primary problem with your playlist lies.

Juan, all the materials to make that happen are right in front of you with the source code. The SubCPU and MainCPU initialization code, the loader code to load CD data to Word RAM and PRAM, CD-DA track playing, all of it. If you want Sonic 2 on the Mega CD, your best bet is to do it yourself, because you basically have all the hard pieces already done for you. All you need to do is break the game into self-sufficient chunks and shift all the data and code into their proper places. Spend some time and study the code, and you should have an idea how to do the same with Sonic 2.

As a side note, the Mega CD does nothing graphically to the game (unless you utilize the ASIC, but that's a rabbit hole of a topic that really doesn't belong here), so I don't really understand what you mean about how Sonic 2 "would look good in sega cd".

10. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

I figured that was an issue, but what really pisses me off is that I can hardly think of a way to get those songs down to a short enough length to work without the risk of becoming too repetitive. I guess it doesn't help that all the best songs are at most 4-5 minutes long and condensing that into 60-90some seconds is basically just playing the chorus in a loop, which sucks for levels that take longer than 2-3 minutes to clear, which is basically every Zone after Green Hill. And what sucks is that my song choices were awesome.

And I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think their combined length was over 79.8 minutes.

11. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Eh, 'twas the late 80's/early 90's when the Mega CD came out, and Red Book was (and still is) the standard. Didn't have much in the way of workarounds, either. Makes sense why a number of games opted for a PCM soundtrack instead of a CD-DA soundtrack for their Mega CD games now, eh? PCM isn't time-limited like CD-DA, but has to keep within the hardware capabilities and space available (which brought on some sacrifices, of course, but the downsides were deemed acceptable in comparison to the benefits).

Yeah, it's a shame that there's that limitation on CD-DA, but there's not much you can do about it without breaking hardware compatibility. Just have to try and make the best of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.