Sonic 1 The Next Level

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by MarkeyJester, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

[​IMG]

>>> Blast through powerful air-tubes, >>> around exploding platforms, >>> ride bicycles with anti gravity >>> then get sucked into an empty void and face your enemy!! >>> Have you ever played Sonic The Hedgehog on a different planet?! >>>

Remember the time that I said to you, that I was done?  Well guess what, I lied!  The initial plan was to submit something to the homebrew contest, a sort of new homebrew ROM I had been working on through the duration of the year.  Unfortunately I had the strong suspicion that I would not have it done before the deadline.  So, the last three months of the contest were spent on making a Sonic 1 hack specifically for the contest, since I don't normally submit to the contest I felt the urge and necessity to do so.

This hack features a new level with three acts.  The artwork is 100% original with exception to the obvious Sonic 1 stuff from the original game.  The music on the other hand is not, some of the music is SMPS based, some of it is PCM tracker based using a new special sound driver.  I won't name the origins as I have a donation drive going on at Retro, but I shall update them as they are discovered.

And a final note, probably the most important one, the credits (lest we forget):

-> 3rd Act Layout - Gallium Grant.
    -> Gameplay Testers - iojnekns, snkenjoi, EditChris
    -> Bug finders - DAGarden, qiuu, Selbi, SonicVaan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  2. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Awesome...

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED, GO PLAY IT NOW, DON'T READ THIS UNTIL AFTER YOU DO!!

No really, this is absolutely amazing! I just got to beating it and I am very satisfied with what you had done with this! I LOVE the gimmicks with gravity, the bike, the tubes! The boss impressed me the most with its excellent deformation effects.l! The graphics and sound are astonishing! I also love the transition from title screen to the level, very creative! To top it all off, it was really fun to play!

I musn't forget about the others you've worked with! They are all awesome as well and they deserve as much praise as you.

This was the first hack that made me smile, not from laughter, but from sheer joy.

Well done, Mr. Jester and teammates! You all get a cookie:

[​IMG]

Well, most of it, I kind of took a bite out of it. Sorry. =P

3. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I'm speechless. I swear this is the thing I've ever experienced on the Genesis. How the hell did you make this in 3 months?

Edit: Please release an OST.

4. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

Figured I might as well mention this:

Capture.PNG

I was crushed by this spring. It caused me to go quite a while back in the level.

Other then that. I really like what you got. The art is nice and the music is great. Interested for what you have in store for us in the future.

FireRat likes this.
  5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

[​IMG]

See that badnik? I was supposed to make that. Then shit got in the way and I never got the time to work on it. It sucks, but maybe some other day... 

It's amazing what you can make in just a few months.

6. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

My overall reaction when I first seen and played this.

[​IMG]

The level layouts, the artwork, the music, uuggghhh it felt so gooood!! but in all seriousness, it crazy to believe what you can make within just a few months. awesome work as always as this was definitely well worth the wait.

7. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

I never understood the logic of releasing your own SHC entry early before they all go public, but oh well~ :U

8. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

​*Fixed!. In all seriousness when I first tried it the visual gave off a SonicCD/Knuckles chaotix vibe it look beautiful. That boss is probably the best boss I have ever seen in a hack.

9. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

I'm sorry I wasn't that much of a help this time. :/ Great work though, this is pure candy to play! =)

10. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

This is amazing! You never fail to amaze me. The levels are well designed, the artwork is phenomenal, the music is great. All the effects in the boss fight were outstanding to look at, they really shows what the Mega Drive is capable of with the right knowledge. Overall this is a great experience. Also am I the only one that would love to get a version of this hack with Pana in?

11. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Either that or him as an extra playable character at least. His design the way it is would've most definitely went perfect to me in this now that you mentioned that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
  12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Played it, and as usual with your work, I'm impressed.  Shame you weren't able to get Chu Chu Rocket done in time.  I use to love the game on the GBA and DC.  If you ever want someone to test puzzles....? :)

Anyway, the hack.  For something that you worked on within a couple of months, I take my hat off.  Where is the music from in  act 2?  I swear I recognise it from somewhere.  You've put a lot of detail into this, like the 3rd layer deformation (animated like S3K?).  I like that all the level art is new, my only complaint is in act 2, I found it hard to tell the difference between the FG and BG at times; it clashed at some points, but then, my eye sight isn't the greatest.

As for the smooth animations, I like it that you have thought of every animation for Sonic, but then it's a real shame that other animations like the rings and the check point (and other sprites) haven't changed (art or extra animations).  With new level art and new badnik/object art, etc, it was a shame that the objects like monitors and title cards didn't change.  Same with music, new level music and invinc' music, but same level ending music and extra life music.  But with the short time you have spent to get this in the contest, I can understand why.

The boss, was a huge improvement from what we got in Pana (I only compare because it features the same animations).  It was nothing like what I've seen before in a Sonic hack.  I died a couple of times, but I got the hang of it by my 3rd go.

If you're interested, a few bugs I noticed:

- At the end of act 1, if you pass the end sign post with anti-gravity on, when it reverts back, you can see the green tiles to the right appear for a moment (during layer deformation).

- When you get hurt during anti-gravity, Sonic resumes normal movement (like he does when you get hurt underwater in normal Sonic games).  He goes back into anti-gravity movement when he lands.

- The extra life jingle kept changing at times, even in the same act.  Although I am guessing this is meant to happen, but thought I'd mention it.

- During the boss, if you lose rings, the rings go behind the boss; unable to see the rings.  In my personal opinion, I think the rings should appear in front of the boss.

Overall, good work, and good luck for the contest!

13. Jaypin

Jaypin Leader Of The Sapphire Squad Member

Can I ask what are the Soundtracks to this Hack? They have gotten' my Attention!

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

​I am so sorry Animemaster, I had completely forgotten you...

15. mk8itra1n

mk8itra1n Newcomer Trialist

I can't believe MarkeyJester and his team made this masterpiece in only 3 months leading up to the contest. Everything is amazing ranging from the new level art/design to the new style of gameplay features such as the Anti-Gravity Switches to the Spinning Tube Blasters/Boosters. The music was amazing and really blew my mind of what the Sega Genesis is capable up in that department. I loved the music especially in Act 2 which is my favorite song in this game and sounds very familiar to me and I'm currently trying to hunt down where it originated from. I wonder where all the songs of this hack are originally from? Anyway, this was an amazing hack by MarkeyJester and his team and it truly showed us how far we've come and how the technology has advanced since those palette hacks in the early 2000s. Excited to see what the Sonic Hacking Contest 2015 has in store for all of us if hacks like this can be possible

16. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

So many ideas that I had long before seem to be in this, and then some.
    The title going right into the level was a bit impressive, as I was only thinking of doing something like SMW having autodemos playing as the title sequence. 
    [​IMG]

I'll definitely say, this part made me laugh
    The higher frame rate for Sonic is a really nice addition that I never seemed to have enough time for doing myself...  

I just have one question. 
    How did you go about the sprite's angles on the slopes? Is it actually calculated, now? (As it was once called "impossible on Genesis.") 
    I've always found it tedious to add the animations for the angled walks and runs, and always wanted to port that over from Sonic Advanced.. 

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

They are all pre-rendered as opposed to software generated.  It is not impossible to software render the rotation.  It's just common sense to go with the pre-rendered method, as it saves on a heap load of processing time.

18. jasonchrist

jasonchrist Active Member Member

20 Million Miles from earth

Up above, the universe

and I know there's nothing I can do

'cos I'm 20 million miles away from you...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
  19. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

This hack may be one of my favorites for this years hacking contest but I swear to god that this hack is a masterpiece. Well done Markey.

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Ahahaha, oh jason christ.  Well done my son!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.