Sonic 1 TX (Open Beta 1.4!)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by bluBird, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluBird

bluBird Game Developer Member

UPDATE: 1.4 NOW RELEASED! Go check it out below!  :smile:

Hello, everyone. I have been avenged of my pointless and stupid death. Whatever, here is my first hack, Sonic 1 TX.

Features:

Modified title screen + added splash

New title cards

Modified levels

Modified music (some might sound a bit iffy -- credit to nineko for some)

Modified special stage

New spin dash

Modified background

--Warning: Do not do a playthrough this hack, as some levels are incomplete--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New version has been released! Download below!

Look forward to the next version (1.5) as well. It includes new levels, new palettes, new sprites, new special stages (less 1ups), and a ton more!

EDIT: Oh, dear... it appears the boss music is messed up. I'll try to fix it as soon as possible, ok?

View attachment s1built.bin

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  2. SoulCircle

SoulCircle Death is my cup of tea! Member

Hey, just a heads up, things go around here as, "No pics, videos, etc., no download." So it would be best if you've done so so more people will play it and review it! So do it if possible!

3. bluBird

Screenshots added

4. SoulCircle

​Ahh thank you! The title cards aren't bad! Better than the original and the palletes are not looking bad. I would play it right now if I currently had access to a computer! Ok now to review said palletes...

#1: A more vibrant look to the landscape with a natural collision. The mountains are a bit iffy though...

#2: To tell you the truth, does not look much different.

#3: Ooh~! Sunset! I always have a soft place in my heart for the sunset, rise feel.

#4: And last, but not least, Sonic treads the purple poisons of Scrap Brain to find wonderful yellow-green crystals whilst avoiding the drowning. He also notices it's rather dark.

#5: Wait, there is no 5... Uhm.... Well we'll say it looks good nontheless!

There's my review on this! Keep workin' and try your hardest to learn ASM if at ALL possible. That's the key to greatness there. You may get more once I can play.

5. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

So... What does TX stand for anyway?...

Texas?

6. bluBird

This may sound a little crazy, but it came from the first phone I ever had, a Palm TX.  :smile:

7. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I played through act 1 of this hack... So far, I'm intrigued. It's not half bad. There are some big flaws here and there, so I'll spell out the pros and cons as I see them (This is in no particular order; the numbers aren't important).

1. The palettes look fine in the foreground, but the background looks a bit off. You could probably leave it as is, but if you have artsy skills, you might be able to add some details to make them fit in better...
    2. There are hidden secrets and multiple paths, even in Act 1. Thumbs up to you, those features are a big part of what makes 2D Sonic games so great!
    3. Invincibility music = All my yes. It fits, it's new, it's fresh it's surprising, and it hit some pent up nostalgia right when I least expected it. I wuv it :3
    4. There are no check points in Act 1, as far as I can tell. Those are important. At least add one or two, it's rather disheartening to restart all the way back at the beginning.
    5. The emerald monitor is a nice touch, but once it's been used, you're sent back to the start of the stage. Again, checkpoints are important.
    6. Just a rule of thumb: don't include death pits in zone 1 of your hack. Ever. They're too cheap in earlier fast paced stages.
    P.S. I wrote this post about 24 hours ago, so It might be repeating what others have said...

8. bluBird

Thank you for the feedback.  :smile:

Right now, I've been experimenting with a new feature I put in my hack. It looks a little silly, but it'll make sense soon...

[​IMG]

Sonic now uses an alternate set of sprites for Labyrinth Zone.

[​IMG]

Since Scrap Brain Zone is also Labyrinth Zone Act 4, it works here as well!

I made this change because I though that the default hurt sprites would realistically drown Sonic if he were to get hurt underwater.

[​IMG]

Sadly, I wasn't able to get this to work when he was JUST underwater. I wonder if this is even possible, but you can't have everything, no?

[​IMG]

The next version (1.3.1) is coming soon...

9. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Test for Sonic's underwater status bit, and branch accordingly. I'd do that because it allows for those sprites in any underwater level you choose to add water to, rather than a level check.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  10. bluBird

Okay, I'll see what I can do.  :wink:

11. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

​Cave story main theme? Yes please. However, it's a bit buggy and off.

Ok, going in to this without reading any posts. The first thing I can say, quite a bit of the music is pretty weird but I did like the HUD. I can see you also have the spindash imported, which is nice. The first level feels like it drags on a bit, but it's nice. Also, the palette isn't really all that good. You should've just stuck with the original.

As for the special stage, I like the idea of diamonds blocking the goal path. I found it difficult and failed, heh.

As I blaze through the next stages I do notice some bits of Zone 2 are a little bit flat and bland. Try and touch the level up a bit and add some more obstacles, even rocks will do.

Also, I really like the emerald monitor and how it warps you to the special stage but that combined with the 50 rings giant ring makes it pretty easy to grab emeralds... assuming you're any good at the special stages which I'm not. In the special stage I'm also finding a LOT of extra lives. As in, I saw 8 at the same time. After grabbing those, the sfx happens but a note after hangs there as if a heart monitor stopped. And may I note I just got the second emerald and I don't have the first.

In addition may I note that when the stage restarts you can go right back over to the emerald monitor and do the special stage again. Whoops.

And zone 3, more Cave Story music. Thank you, based creator.

I got to the boss and not a lot was changed, but otherwise good job. This is a great hack! It's much better than the one I was working on.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015
  12. bluBird

Thanks for all of this feedback. 1.4 is coming today! Keep an eye on this thread!

Includes: Better music, translucent water, new level select, better emerald monitors, better special stages, and MORE!

13. SoulCircle

With good timing! Because I have access to an emulator on my phone.... I can now check your hack! Soon! Beautiful music, and the levels are awesome at the moment. (Snuck into the ending, please remove the waterfall. It interferes with the view of the art.) Then the brown mountains in the first level.... Please change it. It clashes. Or if at all, make your own background! And this applies to some other levels where I noticed colors clashed. Just wanted to say, I noticed you used ASM so now I feel bad for telling you to learn it. But this is my review! Oh and, I instantly thought let's have a battle, when I heard the invincibility music. Have a great time with the rest of the hack!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  14. bluBird

Thanks, again!

I'm going to see if I can create my OWN custom music tracks for use with Sonic 1 TX. Currently, I'm creating new invincibility, game over, level complete, and boss themes.

15. SoulCircle

Any! This shall help get better views on your hack! Any other plans, or are they classified?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.