Sonic 20th Anniversary Hacks

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by shadowbeasts, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowbeasts

shadowbeasts I'm Legend Member

Well I decided to release the 1st beta of two of my four Sonic 20th Anniversary hacks. Sonic 1 20th Anniversary and Sonic 2 20th Anniversary with knuckles. Credits go to cookietheguineapig for help with the spindash sprites, Goonie for help with the knuckles to sonic 2 port. Everyone who wrote the spindash guide and jman2050 for the guide to port the rev01 background effects. In sonic 1 many bugs we're fixed like the walk jump bug (my own way) and speed cap is altered. The eggman monitor and slow shoes are in green hill zone. The 'S' box is in every act 3 and I changed the signpost among other things. In sonic 2 super sonic has the double fitted to work with only super sonic (still in the works) super sonic uses the double jump to transform, S3K style. Level select is 1, 1, 1, 1. Debug is 2, 2, 2, 2 and all emeralds code is 3, 3, 3, 3, the only problem is knuckles isn't finished and if u enter debug mode with knuckles or just put in the code debug won't work with knuckles and he'll have no moves but jump.

Sonic 1 Screenshots:

[​IMG]

Signpost Sonic

[​IMG]

signpost eggman

[​IMG]

spindash

[​IMG]

All the new monitors.

Sonic 2 screenshots:

[​IMG]

Death Egg with knuckles

[​IMG]

New Palette

[​IMG]

Knuckles glide

[​IMG]

Knuckles climb

Download here.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Now don't to be harsh or something, but you really aren't showing anything to celebrate Sonic's 20th Anniversary. These are just regular beginner hacks, because most of the things are either done with tutorials or are overused as hell. This is basically hacks like I've seen them named as "Sonic 1 Ultimate Edition", "Sonic 2 Extreme" and similar names.

In my mind a hack that celebrates a special age, should more be about history. For example, like filling the ROM with information about Sonic's past 20 years.

3. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

It'd help if the file wasn't temporary available!

But this still looks awful.

4. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Is Blue Knuckles a playable character? XP

On a more serious note, this doesn't look to special. I've seen this all done before, it doesn't really impress me but i'm just saying that from the images: I couldn't download the file.

Now where's mah homing attack, speedbooster, and Bubbles with a spike up his ass? >:C

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I often don't like putting people down, or making people feel like the work they've done isn't worth anything. But after playing those roms there's nothing else I can say besides that "the work you've done isn't worth anything", I'm sorry, but what I saw was simply Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 with very minor object position changes and as Selbi said, it doesn't fit the idea of "Sonic 20th Anniversary Hacks" and needs a lot of work before it can be considered as one.

You need to put more back into the work.

6. shadowbeasts

shadowbeasts I'm Legend Member

It's only the first beta I'll add more soon. The link should work now.

7. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Right shadowbeasts, sit down.

[​IMG]

You really need to produce more work for your hacks. In fact, cut it down to one and focus on it. Add lots and lots of content and make it something great, not a 5 minute job with guides. Regarding your Knuckles Port, you need to port over Knuckles' TouchResponse port which you could be a lazy shit by copypasting the one from S2K, renaming it something else and having Knuckles use it. It's really simple and it works fine.

Do you want people to play a silly hack with Black Sonic in Sonic 2 or this? Make your mind up or just make another leaving topic.

8. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I also would like to add: A beta is an almost finished game. Even though things still can be added and removed, the majority of the game is done and the main job is to get rid of all the bugs. If you call this a beta, you also call it an almost finished game.

:V

9. DanielHall

One of my first hacks was a palette hack with a Black Sonic. :x

10. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

My first hack was amazing. It was a palette hack as well. But I honestly believe they were the most beautiful palettes I've ever seen.

Now that hack is, somewhere. I dunno where, actually. D:

11. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

Okay, guys, this isn't a thread for you to post what you've done in your hacks or whatever. Let's try to keep our posts to the topic at hand, shall we?

----------------------------------------------------------

SOTI hit some really good points, as did Selbi and MarkeyJester. You haven't really done... well, not ANYTHING, but you haven't done much. It just seems like you've followed a few guides and done about 3 minutes of your own work. It's all good and well saying "It's only the first beta I'll add more soon.", but, was there even enough for this "first beta" as you like to call it?

Your first beta release should be showing off a standard amount of your own ORIGINAL work, and not just following a few guides, and then doing one or two easy things. This was much the mentality of the user "Rydia3667", and he did not last long because of this.

Think up some of your own ideas for your hack, and start putting them in. When you have a few months worth of work done to your hack, that would be an ideal first release. I look foward to playing a future release that is up to a good standard. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  12. JustANewbie

JustANewbie Well-Known Member Member

13. DanielHall

I don't think shadowbeasts will be able to post anymore (validating email address)

Why did that happen BTW?

14. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

He changed his e-mail address, and we admins can't be arsed approving the change.

15. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

One of the best decisions ever made in the history of the SSRG. Good riddance.

16. JustANewbie

JustANewbie Well-Known Member Member

Download link for that bad looking hack doesn't work to me, but I can't see anything special to celebrate 20 years of green eyes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.