Sonic 3 in 1

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by vladikcomper, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

Today, I'm glad to present you my new project, which I've been working on for last months.

It was just a while ago when I first saw Sonic Classics, aka Sonic Compilation (How could I miss it before?). So, I came up with the idea of uniting all three games of Sonic main series, something that Sega hadn't done back then.

Besides that, it was a good opportunity for me to develop a SMD-project from the ground up. My goal was also to design a better menu than Sega did, which also was a great challenge for me in assembly programming.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Games included in this compilation were heavily modified to work in a bunch. But in terms of gameplay and features, changes are quite modest:

Sonic 1:

- Spin Dash added

- Spike Bug fixed

- Speed Cap removed

- Special Stage Physics fixed

- "PRESS START BUTTON" text on the Title screen

Sonic 2:

- EHZ deformation bug fixed

- Air Speed Cap removed

Sonic 3:

- Regions support fixed, game now works on European/Japanese machines

Download

2. KCEXE

KCEXE Active Member Member

I love it! This is like a Sonic Classic Collection, but for Genesis!

3. M3k

M3k h4x Member

Mission accomplished! :D

As I said on Retro, awesome work. It's really useful having my favorite games in only 1 ROM <3

4. Psycho RFG

Psycho RFG Well-Known Member Member

Great work!!! This is another or your fantastic works.

Edit:

I forget to mention maybe you should fix the camera in Sonic 1 due to the spin dash move, fix the checksum and fix the ROM-padding. I think that's all ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
  5. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

I loved it. Mainly because Sonic 3 saves the game, as opposite from the Sega's collections wich doesn't have save feature in Sonic 3. How long you took for make this Sega screen? This looks fantastic. The same for the credits screen wich looks pretty unique and special. Also, the menu have a big victory by using this song from Gunstar Heroes wich I failed on 12 out of 12 tries from import to the Sonic 1 sound engine.

6. vladikcomper

What kind of camera fix do you mean? If that camera delay thing, I have never added it because Spin Dash without it seemed good enough for me as well. And well, I'm too lazy to add something I find not necessary. =P

Don't worry about checksums, I removed checksums checks from every game. ROM-padding is pointless suggestion, weather my ROM padded or not, it doesn't make much sense, except for about 0,5 MB that I can loose with padding.

That Sega screen took me 2 days of non-stop hardworking. And yet another day before the final release to clean everything up and fix few things. In fact, after I had nearly finished the menu, which certainly was the hardest part, programming the logo went unexpectedly smooth and easy for me.

Gunstar Heroes song is a big win of my friend, Jet. He is very cool and experienced in music hacking unlike me =P

7. TheFurryFox

TheFurryFox http://vyrissthevixen.deviantart.com/ Member

Nice work, and I LOVE the credit music. What's it called?

8. vladikcomper

It's from Megaman's 2 Dr. Wily Stage. Here is the original song:

But this tune in Sonic 3 in 1 was actually ported from 'Megaman: The Wily Wars' for Genesis, which has remixed version of this song:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JzyPJQQ-KEY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.