Sonic Hack: Sonic 1 DLCM (The hack of experimental ideas )

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Joshwoakes, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

Well once again, I'm releasing another hack. This time the hack that I'm releasing is quite short but full of lots of experiment ideas hence the subtitle of the hack "the hack of experimental ideas".

anyway, now when you start playing the hack you will notice by doing normal speed run type play through of this hack is that by default it has 4 levels GHZ 1, 2, 3 and MZ1, yes that's right this hack by default it has 4 levels, another thing you will notice is that the default 4 levels that you get have very minor changes for the most part however if you decide to slow down and explore all 4 levels and collect as many rings and monitors as you can, you may just unlock a one major secret that extends the game's length by 2 more levels (2 challenging levels should I say). however you may be wondering "how does collecting as many rings and monitors as you can unlock a secret?". Well there are two challenges that are coded into the game. one unlocks the game length extension and the other unlocks a bonus stage.

These challenges are as follows:

The Ring Challenge: this challenge is the main challenge of the entire hack, if you want to unlock the game length extension you most successfully complete this challenge. so now your probably thinking "the adjective of this challenge is to do with collecting rings but how many and how should do I this challenge ?". Well this is a challenge of collecting rings and to complete this challenge you have to collect at least 800 rings as your progressing through the 4 levels and now that I said that your probably thinking "but how?, that's impossible as the ring count normally resets after every level". Well this challenge is possible to complete you just got give a go and see for yourself as there some edits to how the ring count works.

The S monitor challenge: now this challenge was pretty much was added in as a last extra feature that allows you to enter a bonus stage to collect rings and 1-ups, which by the way collecting 1-ups is highly recommended for one reason... but I won't tell you that reason as that's for you to find out yourself after completing the ring challenge, anyway the s monitor challenge is simple just find and collect all s monitors in green hill zone act 1

Wow, that was a lot to explain. now with that out of the way I'm going to move on to a list of some of the changes and features.

• Music changes
    • Edited the colour of the sky in green hill zone and marble zone
    • Added challenge features (Ring and S monitor Challenges)
    • Sonic has the jump dash (Which can be activated by pressing B or C to jump and then pressing C)
    • Sonic has an experimental speed boost ability from sonic rush... well... sort of, more like overpowered speed shoes on demand feature that is mainly for speed runners. (Which can be activated by holding left or right and holding the A button)
    • Time attack mode + Hub would which is accessed by doing the entering the sonic 1 level select cheat or just by simply pressing A on the title screen. (please note: when time attack is enabled, time limits will be active so be careful how long you spend in a level when in time attack mode.)
    • The shield that you get from a monitor now has 2 hits before it deactivates and the shield also stops you drowning under water.
    Known bugs\glitches (bugs\glitches that i already know about)
    • Graphical bugs\glitches, glitches of this kind are unlikely but do occur every now and then (mainly in the hub would)
    • Collision detection breaking: this normally tends to happen if you use sonic's speed boost in some areas of some levels
    • Sonic's speed boost does not deactivate in mid air making sonic hard to control in mid air. i have tried to fix this but no luck.
    • The shield's extra hit doesn't always reset when sonic dies or completes the level (please note: although this glitch still exists but it rarely occurs)
    Also one to note is that the "S" tubes in GHZ have been disabled so they don't function properly and please don't ask me why they are like that its just something that I wanted to do even know it may look bad and become buggy.

And after reading all this text and info its finally time for a short video, download link and two logos for people to use video thumbnail if they want to do a video on this hack.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download Link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/sjs0s8dle9lzcoc/S1DLCM_V5.40_Release_(BugFix1).bin

Video:

Logos (for people who want to do a video on the hack can use these logos):
    Logo 1:

[​IMG]

Logo 2:
    [​IMG]

Credits:
    Selbi - Jump Dash Code
    Custom music ports credit to goes to people who made the ports
    Beta Testing: special thanks to KosmoF once again.

Like I always say: feel to let me know what you think, what your opinions are and if there is any suggestions you may have. I hope you enjoy this hack and good luck with the challenges provided in this hack.

Edit: fixed up most of the grammar errors. I'll admit, my grammar is not always the best, I tend to mess up every now and then.
    Edit2: updated download link with bug fix 1 build as the last build had a small bug that was found by VeryCoolGiova

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  2. goalring185

goalring185 Newcomer In Limbo

green hill zone act 2 (aka hold a to win) this hack is a mess, i mean i liked the idea of not loseing your rings when you die, but the level design need a lot of work, and i,ll say it before spanner, no screenshots?

3. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Joshwoakes, the writing in your post is hard to follow and messy. goalring185, you have completely ignored basic English grammar and attempted backseat moderation. Both of you have been warned for ignoring rules. Both of you can do better, so do better.

4. goalring185

goalring185 Newcomer In Limbo

Sorry for may broken english, you see , i,m from iraq, english is not my main language, but i use it a lot, i will try to not to screw up next time

MarkeyJester likes this.
  5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I am going to play this on stream at around 7pm (as usual), all welcome to join for anyone interested, nothing special mind...

I shall edit this post with my thoughts once I'm done.

Right, first of all, the level layouts are questionable in places, but I must have played a fair few terrible hacks in the past, because this one didn't seem as bad (that's not to say it isn't an issue though). A lack of GHZ wall designs would be one of them.

The biggest thing I would say about this hack though, is holding the "A" button while moving - Now... -now... -I did enjoy the humourous results from it mind, but it's just way too fast, as in, so fast you're breaking through two blocks worth of collision, and screwing up the draw code where the camera is moving faster than the strip drawing size. You may want to at least slow it down to a point where it's 10 (hex) pixels per frame or less, or extend the number of blocks being drawn/collision detected/collision set.

A side note, and just my advice, maybe have this boost move subtract rings gradually, so that it comes at a cost.

The final boss once you get 800 rings+ on MZ 1, was damn right extreme, as you saw on the stream though, I did manage eventually, but it required more playthroughs than the number of lives I had, while I don't suggest reducing the boss's difficulty, because while it seems extreme, it's not impossible once you get a grove going. I do however suggest unlimiting the lives for this boss.

All in all, this hack isn't going to set the world a light, but I did enjoy playing it strangly enough.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Painto likes this.
  6. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

For the people who are interested and have some spare time, here's a gameplay video with commentary (and with co-commentary via skype call).

Also @MarkeyJester i'm glad you enjoyed playing Sonic DLCM and I have written down your suggestions\advice as notes for the next update of this hack. (sorry the delayed response).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.