Sonic Hex Adventure

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by RobiWanKenobi, Feb 10, 2023.

1. RobiWanKenobi

RobiWanKenobi Python Developer and ASM enthusiast Member

Sonic Hex Adventure by RobiWanKenobi

I have been working on a Rom Hack for a while now (since the end of SHC 2022) which aims to improve my skills in sonic hacking, and hopefully make an enjoyable experience for people.
    This hack is built off of lavagaming1's sonic 3 object system in sonic 2, so it includes the sonic 3 save screen, and some bugs

Features I have added:
    unique life icons
    Sonic:
    • New Animations
    • Jump dash
    Tails:
    • Flight (Ported from Sonic 3)
    • Custom animations
    • Can call back sonic in the secret Tails and Sonic mode which can be enabled in level select
    Level(s):
    • Jade Valley is the only level layout changed level
    • Palette Changes to look like spring in Jade Valley
    • Small Art Changes + New Hub World
    Controls:
    You have played enough hacks to know how these work

I know Razor and other channels are going to play these as soon as this is out.

Also, New titlescreen, yay!
    Screenshot from 2023-02-10 09-16-21-1.png Screenshot from 2023-02-10 09-16-38.png Screenshot from 2023-02-10 09-19-21.png Screenshot from 2023-02-10 09-19-30.png Screenshot from 2023-02-10 09-20-43.png Screenshot from 2023-02-10 09-21-14.png Screenshot from 2023-02-10 09-22-16.png Screenshot from 2023-02-10 09-24-25.png
    Credits:
    Jump-dash - Based on vladikcomper's jump-dash in sonic 2 tutorial
    SMPS2ASM in hack with help from Clownancy
    Breaking The Habit and A.06 are owned by Linkin Park, the other songs are from other sonic games, or I composed them myself.
    Drums are some improved S3K drums

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  2. Stdh

Stdh Active Member Member

It's definitely an improvement from the first build. The hub world idea seems cool and works good enough, level design is also fairy good. But there's a problem with it and thats the jump-dash, it makes the levels alot shorter (like 30 seconds long) and if it really has to be a move, maybe make it have more obstacles so it gets harder to just spam it.

Another thing is that this demo is fairly short, about the same length as the first one, it was also very quick after the first one. You should maybe use more time and make an more longer demo, because this one does feel the same as the first one.

So yes it is an improvement, but lacks alot of new content to play.

saan1ty likes this.
  3. RobiWanKenobi

Hey Dutch, thanks for your feedback.

I have now decided to remove the jump-dash (maybe i'll add the peelout or something).

Other levels mostly haven't had work because of a slight lack of motivation, I honestly need to stop procrastinating on it.

Stdh likes this.
  4. NewUltramanTime

NewUltramanTime Newcomer Prospect

Great Hack
    Keep it up

5. JGamer2151

JGamer2151 Well-Known Member/Lurker Member

On the topic of replacing the jump dash (or homing attack) with something else, why not use the insta-shield? Just my suggestion.

6. RobiWanKenobi

To be honest two reasons:
    Intsa-shield is boring
    insta-shield is hard to make with very little payoff

7. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

When it comes to application, I feel that the insta-shield is one of the more exciting abilities Sonic has had. Being skillful enough to dodge stuff with it is it's own thrill, but using that extra hitbox size to damage things just out of reach or through through walls or obstacles is accessible and fun in and of itself. Imagine if it was modified to do other more even more exciting things, like adding more of a bounce recoil when using it to break enemies or monitors, or adding projectile reflectivity to it, like in Sonic 3 Complete.
    Way more exciting than the peelout, which is largely all style and flash without real gameplay substance in my opinion.

AsuharaMoon, ProjectFM, Stdh and 3 others like this.
  8. RobiWanKenobi

I see your point with why my points don't make sense. One other reason is simply, I don't want to add it, I even mentioned in my discord server when asking for ideas to not request that.
    I honestly think I may add a double jump in though. And honestly, I also don't want to go through the stuff again for the peelout either.
    Screenshot from 2023-02-12 06-14-19.png

9. NewUltramanTime

Quick Suggestion:
    Double Jump for Sonic

10. RobiWanKenobi

I was already think of maybe doing that, but I am now debating about the insta-shield. Luckily a double jump isn't too hard to implement, it just breaks the game fairly easily when not done right.

11. RobiWanKenobi

So, I have done a fair bit off stuff to Sonic Hex Adventure since the last update:

2 New levels to play through, Secret Woods and Ruin Relix, which still needs some work on the object and level layout
    Airdash is a shield only move for Sonic and functions like the fire shield dash
    Improvements to my port of Breaking the Habit

Double Jump and Stomp for Sonic
    Double Jump is activated by pressing C while jumping or in an air-roll
    Stomp is activated by pressing B while doing a jump or air-roll
    You can't double jump and then stomp or vise versa

New Act Clear theme
    Hub World Level Layout Change
    Special Level Select theme that is different from the Data Select Theme
    Both characters can air-roll by pressing A while not rolling, in the air
    Modified the ROM Header

Notes:
    There are some unused tracks in the sound test you can hear, like a remix of Papercut by Linkin Park
    Ruin Relix music is Seaside Hill from the Knuckles Emerald Hunt source code

Screenshots:
    Screenshot from 2023-03-04 10-41-40.png Screenshot from 2023-03-04 10-47-54.png Screenshot from 2023-03-04 10-49-52.png Screenshot from 2023-03-04 10-51-12.png Screenshot from 2023-03-04 10-51-20.png Screenshot from 2023-03-04 10-51-58.png Screenshot from 2023-03-04 10-52-31.png Screenshot from 2023-03-04 10-52-48.png Screenshot from 2023-03-04 10-53-55.png
    Do what you will with this

Attached Files:

EddyTF, Nik Pi and Dark Shamil Khan like this.
  12. Dark Shamil Khan

Dark Shamil Khan TASer lol Member

This was a nice update actually. And I really like the HUB world you've given, although simple, at least it's good in my opinion.
    Now, one thing I wanted to slide away is the level design, I know you already mentioned it. But hey I'll just give advice. I think you should add like curves as well in relix ruin zone since it's using Marble Zone's tiles. To give the level more fresh air if you know what I'm saying.
    Aside from that, it was actually pretty decent and I love the new version of breaking the habit (listen to it btw, it's a song with a meaning.)
    But yeah, I liked it. Rating, although I don't like to do it, but I'll give a 7.5/10. Good luck in the future for the hack. Looks pretty solid so far.

Haven't touched the Level Select, if it is even open.

13. NewUltramanTime

Quick Question:
    Will there be Super Sonic and Super Tails?

14. RobiWanKenobi

No, there wont be.
    I had to make a lot of custom chunks, I honeatly would have a pretty hard time making slopes, hell the collision work for slopes is sketch when i do them.

Also, I have listened to breaking the habit normally, I know what the song is about, I just also find it is a banger for a zone.

The level select code is up up down down up up

Dark Shamil Khan likes this.
  15. EddyTF

EddyTF somebody once told me Member

Bro, there are no words. The hack has become even cooler. By the way, putting Jump Dash in a shield is an interesting solution. Stomp and Double Jump have also been added, and it's pretty tasty: the code works amazing. And what struck me the most was the improved Breaking the Habit in JVZ (it sounds very chic). Well, my score is 7/10. Good luck with that.

EDIT: overestimated the hack too much.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  16. Nik Pi

Nik Pi Well-Known Member Member

Well, I played in it, and I want to say few things..
    I'll say about the pluses and minuses of this ROMhack:
    Pluses:
    1) Original music choice
    2) New moves
    3) Flying Tails
    4) Nice R2 impressed zone
    5) Original title screen

Minuses:
    1) Music choice is... specific... too specific. I'm not fan of ost of this game. As separate, JVZ theme looks not bad, but it doesn't good with zone. Ruins has weird music, that reminds me NES games.
    2) Weird level design. Bad maze in wood, and veird maze in ruins.
    3) Ruins' bg is good, but brown pixels on clouds are bad.
    4) Enemies in WZ look strange... would be better to have another ones, IMO.
    5) Water on JVZ and RRZ BGs looks bad. Better use from the previous games.

As I think- not bad hack. Playable XD.
    Seriously- it has good and bad sides, so I guess 6/10. You can improve it. If you'll redone level design and art- it will be cool game.

17. RobiWanKenobi

18. RobiWanKenobi

So, here is a new build of Sonic Hex Adventure:

Major Changes:
    New Sonic Sprites
    Victory Poses
    Tails Assist (Controlled By Player 1 only)
    New Jade Valley Art + Parallax
    No save Screen, instead a screen with character selecting and Sound Test
    New Hub music and Art
    Some Fixes to layout and art in Secret Woods(The boss actually is hard too) and Ruin Relix(fixed some blocks)
    new font for title cards
    Music changes
    Press Start Flashing(most of the time) Text On Title Screen
    DAC Samples

Minor changes:
    made samples not DPCM
    fixed some bugs

Screenshot from 2023-05-05 13-39-29.png Screenshot from 2023-05-05 13-39-39.png Screenshot from 2023-05-05 13-39-48.png Screenshot from 2023-05-05 13-40-17.png Screenshot from 2023-05-05 13-40-26.png Screenshot from 2023-05-05 13-42-09.png Screenshot from 2023-05-05 13-42-29.png Screenshot from 2023-05-05 13-43-14.png Screenshot from 2023-05-05 13-44-29.png

Attached Files:

19. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

I just played through the recent version; it's an ok start, but there are some issues here and there:

• There were occasional collision issues in Jade Valley.

• Although custom music is nice to have, I'd go back and evaluate the interpretation of some of your music remixes. Though it has gotten better, I think that there's a lot more you can get out of a song like Breaking the Habit, for example; your iteration seems rather simplistic and repetitive, and it seems to drone on a bit (not sure how much you've experimented with instrumentation and general volume mastering, but focusing on these would do wonders). Sometimes it's ok to break away or add things/changes to songs, especially since you're working with a different medium in the YM-2612, so I'd look for ways to add better depth, and different effects and instruments. I also feel the same about tracks like the title screen, menu theme and Ruin Relix (I don't recognize these tracks, but they again seem to repetitively drone on a bit).

• I'm not a fan of Sonic's walking/jogging animation, as he seems to be using the robotic Sonic CD jog style (which I personally very much dislike, as doesn't bob up and down like a normal person would when jogging, and thus looks rather unnatural). The latter point is a personal preference, but there might be a reason why only CD does that, lol

• I can do this upon completing an Act 2 rather easily:
      upload_2023-5-8_14-56-33.png

By running/spindashing to the left, Tails glitches into the capsule, and Sonic is stuck in his jogging animation (not game breaking, but I figured it should be mentioned)..
    • The player controlled Tails assist is a nice touch, but it is unfortunately too easy to trigger, to the point where it became a hinderance at points (particularly during the drill boss). Perhaps it should require pressing up while mid-jump? That is much harder to input by mistake.
    • The Sound test doesn't seem to work, unless I'm missing something..
    • The layouts seem a bit ...lifeless, I think. Maybe there are some special platforms of other gimmicks that could be added that would give some spice to the levels. Some of the enemy placement is a also bit frustrating as well.
    All in all, it is a decent base point. I think the ported art in the HUB and the bg for Ruin Relix work well, and I appreciate the unique take on the title screen, but I believe that the hack could be much, much better.

Crimson Neo and DeltaWooloo like this.
  20. Arandomguy

Arandomguy Newcomer Trialist

I tried this, and it's nice, it has decent level design, i like that Breaking The Habit port, you really got a decent rom hack there!