Sonic Jam World Remix - First UE4 Sonic game

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Raionhardt, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raionhardt

Raionhardt Vanguard Member

Hey there people. I been porting the level I started in UDK, Sonic Jam World Remix to Unreal Engine 4. With much more content then the last version. Now there are the interiors. The missions have been made, but still I need to make the HUD and a save class to hold the values. Still, it is already in a presentable state. Thanks to the efforts of people that went into hacking Sonic Jam, I had in the past access to the files that served as blueprint to remake the map and textures.

Well, then. Take a look at the very first Fan-game level done in Unreal Engine 4:

Vídeo:

[​IMG]

Character House

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Music Shop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gallery

[​IMG]

History

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cinema

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last version video - UDK

Download of the new version that was going to Sage:
    https://mega.nz/#!rhREGB4L!hZ6RZmcf7PJsUQA5Wy7Jd8cZOU6OhNAy9LoVJk_oU6c

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Crimson Neo likes this.
  2. DwhitetheGamer

DwhitetheGamer You got a serious fight in your hands. Member

Holy shit, this is amazing!  Great recreation of Sonic Jam.

However, there is too much bright light when collecting rings.  You need to fix that.  Otherwise, again, great job!

3. AdelTheQadi

AdelTheQadi Leader of the anti body pillow movement Member

Oh god, that interior shading :angry:  (Also the run cycle)

Otherwise it's nicely done.  I mean everything is baked fairly well, but I just think some real-time shadows are in order for the interior environments.  And the run cycle just doesn't seem natural to me.

But keep up the good work otherwise!  I'm loving how everything is coming along with Sonic in UE4 and can see so many things being done with it.  Once it picks up, it'll probably be relevant for quite a long while  :biggrin:

4. Raionhardt

Something wrong with the interior shading?

I if I had real time shadows in a interior environment, the cinema would be the only that woudn't be able to have it. I assemble the level with Light Propagation Volumes - dynamic GI - turned on, and it only works in Shader Model 5. Also, it takes a huge performance hit when is an interior. In case of the cinema, it was on 25fps on my GTX970, that gone to 100+fps (both on Epic configuration) on static lighting.

Make light is complex. I have a limit of Stationary lights, which have the best quality on lightmaps and can cast some dynamic shadows - that is 4 - and have dynamic GI on more than 1 light source as a sun is ask to kill the video card. So I had to stick to static shadows.

Now I have more time to work with the framework, since this level is done. I will be working the entire month exclusivelly on HDK. And there is also the other team members, so we may see a lot of progress on it this month. When I present the first level of Sonic Evolution, HDK will be much more complete.

5. AdelTheQadi

AdelTheQadi Leader of the anti body pillow movement Member

Well not exactly a real-time shadow per se, but just a simple non-directional, independent shadow under the characters like in Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations; gives the illusion of physical presence while being very performance friendly.

Notice how the shadow is simply projected straight down and not dependent on the light source and direction:

Colors

[​IMG]

Generations

[​IMG]

I know that both the screenshots are in an outdoor scene, but they will work perfectly in an interior scene.

I'm not sure what the "official term" is for this type of shadow, but it's non-directional and projected top-down.  Also not sure how to do this myself in Unreal Engine, but I'm 100% sure there is an easy way to do it.  I'll look it up later on.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  6. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

This looks epic and I am quite impressed but the lighting is too bright on some places.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  7. Raionhardt

Yeah, that shadow. It is very dim on the world map, but is there, I dont know​ why the interiors except for the History building are not displaying any shadows. I will check if is casting dynamic shadows on the stationary lights. I'll see if I find a way to tweak it. Probably it does have something to do with the skeletal mesh, as I've been reading latelly.

​I need to study what kind of IES profile I put in each place. Stupidly enough, Epic didn't put on lights a control based or real world information, like wattage of incandescent and LED bulbs, or a measure like lumens or candelas. This makes find the right values insanelly difficult. To make it worse, there is an annoying post processing that is default that is auto expousure. And it stay playing changing the expousure of the scene and do this very slowy and all the times, if you move, the scene becomes a little dark, then it starts going bringther, and it does this to make any scene have the same kind of lighting, messing more the light intensity value input.

Like always, Epic annoys me with some of their decisions on the engine. LOL.

8. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

ANSWER: There is. 
    The music files I packed into a zip and organized here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4TswbxjIZLZExTWHZtOHBnckk/view

​The sound effects themselves are borrowed from the original games, so ripping those would be tedious and unnecessary.
    I organized them and named them accordingly, so here's those:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4TswbxjIZLV3VxV2FvZVp3Mms/view

I hope this helps, and credit would be appreciated.
    ​________________________________________________
    [​IMG]​​

And, I was a little tempted to export the sounds from the Game.com version instead. 

9. Raionhardt

Thanks, but the file I was looking for was Tails propeller sound, but it was a ring sound instead.

So I should had thought about that before, but I solved the problem by getting a properller sound from Sonic R SFX folder I have here.

10. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

The Tails' propeller sound is in the second linked file, but glad you found something. (...I misread?)

Is the Sonic World still supported in UDK, or is it fully moved to UE4, now?
    I was starting to think that taking on a more opensource engine would be beneficial for some of my 3D projects, rather than modding and trying to port it.. 

EDT: Oh, I see, my computer was having copy/paste issues, so let me upload the propeller sound alone. 

EDIT2: Sorry about the trouble, but here's the propeller sound

EDIT3 (Again...): I've been well aware that Sonic World is a level remake in HDK / SonicGDK, but I was just... Forget it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2015
  11. Raionhardt

Actually I already got the propeller sound. thanks.

Sonic world is a game level, not an engine. I just remade the level inside ue4 because I didnt finished it on UDK. Also, the engine, HDK, is not more open source.

12. Raionhardt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.