Sonic Nightmare Simulator Remake(Demo v1.0)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by ArcaniaCQ, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Sonic Nightmare Simulator Remake
    Story is still in progress.

And so is some mechanics.

Dead Dream Zone
    s1built_047.png
    Bloodbath Zone
    s1built_048.png
    Nightmare Zone
    s1built_049.png

Credits.
    Music: LordXernom, AmateurSonicHacker, G4 And CaveQuest
    Level Layout, Palette and Coding: CaveQuest
    Beta Testing: LordXernom, AmateurSonicHacker and Quirby64.
    Art: DevEd and CaveQuest.

Remake(V.1.0): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ENB5jgFXkiSlZmYTREMDV0Qk0

OLD:Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kteahrw6sveepsj/Sonic Nightmare Simulator Final.bin?dl=0
    Steam:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=677876357&searchtext=
    Be sure to give me some feedback and Enjoy.

EDIT1: No Sonic.exe will be in this.
    EDIT2: Credits
    EDIT3: Demo V.1.1 is out. Stages that are out atm. NHZ and HTZ.
    EDIT4: This hack is now cancelled. I will no longer work on it.
    EDIT5: Remake of the old hack is now in the works. With a playable demo.
    EDIT6: Remake Update: Version 1.1 is being released for now. However feel free to make a video on this specific update if you want to. As it's somewhat more competent then the other build. Just link to this thread and I am alright.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  2. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

Soo.. I played through the hole demo. Its looking very dark. The boss music is from LordXernom right? Cause i am using the same boss music.

3. ArcaniaCQ

The Boss Music and The life up music is from LordXernom yes.

4. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

For me level layout is good, palette also good, but for me clouds with this palette aren't looking natural. Music also good, but for my taste I'll prefer hacks with tiles edit and unique artwork. But it's just my opinion - I hope this hack will be better and better with next versions. Goodluck with hacking. ;)

5. ArcaniaCQ

This build is still a concept build and but the 2nd act is fully finnished. There will be some large edits to this hack before the next build who is going to be the real thing. Also Music in Nightmare Hill atm is getting revamped so there might be a music swap coming so this is just some filler music instead of the old. Enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  6. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

Ok.
    I played through the second build. The act 2 is now perfect. Nice work! Maybe i record this...

7. ArcaniaCQ

Sorry for the quick entry in this book. This hack Demo is now officially finnished.

-Act 1 got small changes.
    -Act 3 is finnished.
    -Enemy placement is now more fair.
    -Added the new theme made by LordXernom as the theme for NHZ.
    -Boss Area is now edited for the better.

Enjoy the last Concept Demo for Nightmare Edition.

Download

Level Select: The original+backwards but do only play Nightmare hill or listen to 86 :p

Jdpense likes this.
  8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Well, I played the new version on stream last night, the enemy placement was more fair indeed. But I don't think NHZ's new music theme is any better, the other levels had somewhat nice music though, and I appreciated LZ's palette (I think it was called "Maze Zone" or some crap. The other level palettes were just horrible though. The boss area has now become a little too easy. Not to be fussy mind, at least it's fairer now and not based on the time you enter. NHZ's dark palette has made it difficult to see certain items for what they are, for example, a spinning spike pole, I thought it was a bridge at first, but because the background was the same dark blue, and the bridge uses the same dark blue, it was difficult to distinguish.

The above are simply gameplay issues really, but one of the side issues I have to mention, is again... what is so "nightmare" about the game? I'm not seeing anything that's horror or scary related (I'm not saying that making something scary for a Mega Drive is easy in the context of a 2D platformer, I know all too well), but the name of the hack has become nothing more than a misnomer.

In fairness, the hack has supplied a fair amount of fun entertainment, but I digress... I would strongly recommend (and this is just my pitch here, I'm not here to tell you what to do with your project of course), that you take this hack in a different direction, supply it a different name, etc. There is something enjoyable about this hack, but not in the way the name describes.

9. ArcaniaCQ

Ok I watched the stream and I saw that you mention some stuff. I do like the fact that you did mention the chunks and I will fix that. When it comes to other Level's they are fully incomplete. Unless that. I do have plans for a before SAGE demo and will work towards that or the next SHC. I belive that LZ pallete is done but still needs some work. (Underwater). Anyways Thanks for the feedback. Also I may concider changing the projects direction if the plans go south.

10. ArcaniaCQ

There are changes made to Nightmare Hill since last build and so is it even with Underground Maze Zone. Which is still unfinnished.
    There may be a name change in the future since I don't plan on making it Nightmareish anymore. I will probably call it Sonic 1 Sleeping Island in the future.

With that said. Underground maze have puzzle elements to it and you have to access it through Level Select. Enjoy and let me know what you think while on it.

11. ArcaniaCQ

To let you all know I may have been constant with updates. But here is the last for awhile!
    NHZ Changes:
    Level layout has been slightly changed.
    Made this hack look more like a Sonic level. (Placed more walls)
    Sonic got a little bit touched by fixing his palette.

UMZ Changes:
    Edited Act 1 further and Act 2 is unchanged.

BFZ Changes:
    Palette and Underwater is fixed. Level layout in act 1 has started but it unfinnished.

Music Changes:
    All the stages above have no music but those who are unedited do have new music. Aswell as the Final Zone one.

However there is 1 more thing.
    There is nothing new to the special stages. I promise. It's nothing to show off there.

12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Was there meant to be a link with that post? Just the way you mentioned it saying, "here is the last"...

13. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

I just went to the first post it was updated yesterday, so that must be the new update.
    Edit: Also this is a no no. Also instead of going to the next zone it goes to the title screen, and the level select is not accessible.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  14. ArcaniaCQ

The thing is that you are probably meaning after act 3? Right? It's still demo and for the second question. The code is up down left right right left down up A+Start. Just to clear that up. However Thanks for the feedback Joenick.
    No. The original post got updated.

15. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Yeah, I guessed that after I posted it, but I left the post there just in case that wasn't the case...

Anyway, I made a video. Hope you enjoy!

Link

ArcaniaCQ and Devon like this.
  16. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

Hence the SFactor.
    [​IMG]
    Might I wonder why else not?

B. Comet likes this.
  17. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

If you pass the signpost in Cavequest's hack, and then deliberately run back to the point shown in those screenshots, Sonic will endlessly try to run up the slope to clear the level on the right, but won't be able to due to a lack of speed. This is a common problem in many ROM hacks that change the ending in a way like this, but don't change the behaviour of the signpost once it has stopped spinning. This doesn't affect S Factor, as the behaviour to run to the right is no longer there.

18. ArcaniaCQ

Updated the original thread and deleted the old builds download links.

This is the last update before the hacking contest.

19. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

Ok, I have played the entire demo and I already have things to say.

First off, I'll leave this clear. I found the layout changes quite fair, and I haven't had much problem with object placement itself. However, I found Hell Temple 1 too short. How about lengthening the level, you know, making it more vertical, and forcing Sonic go to the left sometimes, like in the original version of Marble Zone?

As for palettes, you will have to forgive me for what I'm about to say. I admit that Nightmare Hill's palette is absolutely lovely, but the rest are a complete mess in what comes to colour choice and shading. You really need to work on that. Also, why is Sonic lighter in a game where you're supposed to be situated in a darker atmosphere?

The music isn't too bad - NHZ's BGM, as well as other tracks sounded fine to me. I especially like the invincibility theme, I don't know why, but I love it.

Aside from that, I don't really know what to comment on. I mean, I know you intend to add more features in the future, but I'd advise you to focus on what you're doing right now. Of course, this is only a piece of advice. I think that, with some work, this can become a project with a bright future, but you have to listen to us and what we have to say about the hack.

Overall, not bad. Good luck with future versions!

20. ArcaniaCQ

To start off. Hell Temple may get reworked to the contest since I do want a full hack release as fast as I can deliver with the best quality. So I may make it larger. As for the music and palette work. It's still being made. I am tho happy you enjoyed the Invincibillity theme that I did post a more upbeat version of.

Sonic's Palette was darker but people wanted me to change it back or have it lighter. Tho I can change it to somewhere between if people want that.
    Anyway Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.