Sonic Sunventure (Demo)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Scrap Brain, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Scrap Brain

Scrap Brain The Final Zone Member

I've been working on a hack and I'm finally able to release a demo of it for all to play. I would have had a realtime day/night cycle but I don't know how to do that so each act just has a set time. Only Green Hill is playable for this demo, however I do plan to have at least one more zone for my final release. No sound effect or music changes because I don't want to get into that at least for the time being. All critiques are greatly appreciated.The only current bug with this demo is that the chaos emerald monitors don't function properly yet. and yeah, I don't mind if you use level select to look at the other zones.

Screenshots (Spoilers because image big):
    upload_2021-4-19_9-57-45.png
    upload_2021-4-19_9-59-2.png

Credits:
    -Angelkor64 (Helped get the dynamic palettes working)
    -Whoever made the art for Sonic CD and Chaotix
    -Various tutorials on Sonic Retro and on SSRG
    -Sonic Sprites and Monitor art were made by me

Tools used:
    -SonMapED
    -SonLVL

EDIT: This demo is now outdated and there's really no reason to play this version anymore, play Demo 2 instead.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    GenesisDoes, Niko, PikaNoob and 5 others like this.
  2. Scrap Brain

Some sneek previews at future content
    upload_2021-4-23_13-21-20.png

upload_2021-4-23_13-25-8.png

upload_2021-4-23_14-14-9.png

ignore the attached file I forgot to remove it lel

Attached Files:

DeltaWooloo likes this.
  3. Mr. Joker 27 Music prod.

Mr. Joker 27 Music prod. Musician, composer, remixer. Member

All is good here, I love the color and scheme, but you forgot something...
    [​IMG]

This chunk should not go like this, this chunk not be cut, many have made this mistake when editing, even me. I leave to you a screenshot here of an edit that I'm doing for Sonic Epic Quest.

[​IMG]
    Look here at the chunk combination, in this way you must edit the chunks. When you start to edit, you must look at the original level design and object position.
    Do you want to know how have I learned to make level designs?. With kicks and blows, that's how I learned over time since I started here in the scene.
    Don't worry about these mistakes, but the next time avoid these kinds of bugs.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Stdh and Scrap Brain like this.
  4. Scrap Brain

I thought it looked alright/ I wanted to save chunk space but now that I have spare chunks I can throw in a custom one for the beginning and make it look good

upload_2021-4-23_21-29-25.png

Attached Files:

5. Mr. Joker 27 Music prod.

Very good, I hope new things for the next version, new music, etc.
    With the time you will be get better, good work.

6. Scrap Brain

How are you gentlemen !!
    All your Sonic Sunventure demo footage is belongs to me
    You are on the way to destruction

7. Scrap Brain

This isn't a update post
    ...but it COULD be if somebody is willing to help me with music/ SFX porting.
    Songs that I'd like to have:
    White Park Act 3 - Sonic 4 Episode 2
    Level Clear - Socket
    Ruins (Round 1) - Air Buster
    Extra Life - Zero Wing
    Boss - Sonic 1 (8 bit)
    Final Boss - Sonic Triple Trouble (Or the final boss theme from metal head I'm flexible)
    Ending - Sonic 1 (8 bit)
    Arabian Jewelry - Columns 2
    the Chaos Emerald Jingle from Sonic 1 (8 bit)
    the Death Jingle from Sonic 1 (8 bit)
    and a few sound effects from Sonic CD
    of course I could do without having changed music and SFX but that'd be like really lame if the music was unchanged so I'd really appreciate it if someone would help me with that. If anyone's interested which I doubt or has questions just private message me.

I mean uh haha the noob hacker is asking for help point and laugh

8. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joevanni, not Geovanni. Member

I tried your ROM hack today, and I must say, I like what it has.
    The artistic changes made, while really simplistic, were just enough to give the game this new look that I really dig.
    The level design, for the most part, was pretty good, but it does have its imperfections. I will detail you the major mistakes I noticed.

See the following image:

Screenshot 2021-05-02 21-44-00.png

It's easy to tell there are two glaring issues already. One being the fact that the large platform will go up beyond the spikes.
    This is a mistake that can easily be addressed by lowering the platform.

As for the second glaring mistake, the fact the camera does not stop at the spikes.
    This is one that can be fixed once you familiarize with Dynamic Level Events, also known as Dynamic Resizing (I will address this with the term DLEs for simplicity). There are a few guides that should help you understand where to find them and how they work. Once you do, it should be easy to address this mistake.

I do have a few more things to say about the entirety of GHZ3.

I see that you've used up a level and dedicated it entirely to the boss. That is alright, a lot of hacks do that, and I don't exactly mind this practice, although I much favor having a level to play through to reach a boss.
    However, you could have most definitely executed it far better, assuming this is what you wish to do.
    Having a giant wall at the start of Act 3 is never good to see. If you are going to just dedicate one act to the boss, at least resize the level accordingly.
    For this, you will need not only to figure out how DLEs work, but you'll also need to change where Eggman spawns (which you can not just change from your average level editor). It's not difficult to do, but you need to know where to edit. You should try and familiarize with DLEs and how objects in general work. There are a lot of resources that can aid you, such as the whole RAM editing section from Sonic Retro.
    Another improvement you can make would be to actually place rings before the boss. It's never fair to be introduced to a boss without rings, no matter if it is something like Emerald Hill's boss or the Hardest Boss Ever Conceived™.

All of what I said above about GHZ3 assumes that you do not actually want to make a third act, and wish to dedicate it solely to the boss. If you do wish to make a third act, then absolutely go for it.

Despite it all, it is a pretty good hack. It does need some polish in some areas, but I'm sure you can create a quality product with time.

I was writing this post while you posted your "musical help request".
    Have you never made an attempt to "port" the music yourself? There are tools out there that make composing Mega Drive/Genesis music pretty easy, as long as you understand how to use them. While I have never released any track myself, I would personally recommend MID2SMPS, along with your MIDI composing tool of your choice (e.g. Anvil Studio) and the MIDI Driver that comes with MID2SMPS. There may be better tools around, but I decided to recommend you these tools due to how easy they were to understand for me.

Scrap Brain likes this.
  9. Scrap Brain

GHZ 2 in the demo is now outdated. I felt kinda forced to include that section since it was in the original GHZ 2 and I felt the need to include it for whatever reason. TheInvisibleSun brought that to my attention very quickly after I released the demo and I changed that section to something more natural
    upload_2021-5-2_17-15-24.png
    Now to talk about GHZ 3. When I was making the hack it started to give me a lot of 8 bit Sonic 1 & 2 vibes so I wanted to channel that with the boss hence why there's no rings. I decided to make it so the player retains rings between acts, so having no rings for the boss isn't a big issue now unless you die to the boss. About the wall, I hid a shield monitor back there to make better use of that space. I personally think the wall looks just fine but then again I may just be telling myself that so I don't have to mess with DLEs and change Eggman's spawn point. I do like the Sonic CD thing of having a small level before the boss so I might do that for MZ but I'm fine leaving GHZ 3 as is at least for now. A part of me really wishes I waited a bit to release the demo since I've made a lot of improvements since the demo came out but I guess that in it of itself is a sign that I'm making good progress.

And about music porting, I haven't really used any good tools since I couldn't really find them/I tried about once and gave up, but what I have heard about it really scares me off from trying. I did try to port a sound effect and ended up wasting a good few hours and was confused the whole way, but I know how to do it now, only problem is it didn't work so I just wasted my time. The theme here is I don't want to try things I perceive as being really hard since I'm scared of failure but this isn't a psychological analysis. I do happen to have Mid2SMPS so I could always give that a try in the almost guaranteed event nobody's going to do the music porting for me and I'll probably just give up on SFX porting for the time being since I couldn't get it to work. I thank you for the feedback though, it helps me tremendously and I appreciate all the feedback I get.

10. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo Another dead account Member

Music porting is technically easy nowadays to accomplish thanks to ValleyBell's SMPS Converter. It is easy to set up, and to convert songs to Sonic 1 requires you to use Command Prompt; however, you need the SMPS Research Pack. If you do ever struggle to use that or make perfect ports, don't hesitate to ask anyone here. I can also help you set it up alongside smps2asm, which is necessary to port sound effects and music; although I'd advise playing around with it first, hopefully, you get a bright idea of how it works. Also, as long as you kindly ask anyone here if they have the appropriate time, they can always lend you a hand with Mid2SMPS and help you set it up.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Giovanni and Scrap Brain like this.
  11. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Since I performed Cube2Smps conversions of the whole Zero Wing OST a few years ago, I looked into my archives to see if the Extra Life jingle was there, but it turns out that it wasn't. I'm sorry.

12. Scrap Brain

oh look new GHZ and a small announcement
    Final/rev.0 build will be delayed. Unfortunately I still don't know how to port sound effects so if somebody would be willing to help me just shoot me a message.
    I haven't tried to port/make music yet because I'm too sega I mean lazy but if it proves to be too hard for my monkey brain I'll come crawling back here or the discord and will cry about it.
    even though I added the peelout animation I'm not going to add the actual peelout because I don't feel like it.
    and no I'm not adding the spindash not because I'm lazy but because I want to prove you don't need to have it if your level design is good enough which I don't think anyone besides me felt was needed of proving but when was the last time I made sense.
    Anyways, hopefully the next post here will be the final build but until then alshark on sega cd

13. Scrap Brain

This just in: Apparently "Soon" means "I will abandon working on the hack for a full month to instead work on writing cutscenes for a sonic game pitch that I'll eventually make a youtube video on"
    but uh
    IT LIVES
    upload_2021-6-15_17-11-28.png
    upload_2021-6-15_17-15-53.png
    new levels
    new attitude
    new enemies
    coming sooner than you can say "god I want to tell everyone I know about sonic sunventure"
    well maybe not that fast but faster than the last time I said it'd be coming out soon

14. Giovanni

Looking at these two screenshots, I can't say the first one looks right. I don't think the color contrast between the foreground and the background makes that much sense. But the second one looks just right.

Scrap Brain likes this.
  15. badnest

badnest Newcomer Member

I disagree with giovanni, the first screenshot is alright. The second one's palette looks like crap, mainly because the background colors are far too bright. That's distracting and pretty much never looks good. Your GHZ palette is looking amazing though, it looks pretty similar to a project I'm working on although on a different time of day (also inspired partially by chaotix's art)

DeltaWooloo and mrcat-pixel like this.
  16. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

I personally think both are good, but yeah - I guess the purple background fits better for Spring Yard's aesthetic? The second one is a bit too saturated if you compare with first screenshot. But eh, the second background / palette could be used for a second (or third) act.

17. Scrap Brain

whoops I accidentally made a new palette for act 1 that looks better than the old one although I did like the purple grass I might use that idea for something in the future
    upload_2021-6-28_0-21-20.png

oh wow man and look is that the act 2 palette with a slightly saturated background and splats who is definitely not there because I haven't actually started designing spring yard act 2 yet?
    upload_2021-6-28_0-21-28.png
    edit:
    the chaos emerald monitors work now
    edit again:
    new title screen almost forgot
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  18. Mr. Joker 27 Music prod.

Is impressive how you learned this, I'm very happy to see the results, this is fantastic, good work, buddy.
    You will improve much better with the time, I will send the music for you later.

Scrap Brain likes this.
  19. Scrap Brain

Update: I'm delaying the final release of the hack to SHC 2021.
    upload_2021-7-8_20-25-11.png
    upload_2021-7-8_20-35-54.png

oh yeah and marble is here (pardon the unchanged tiles they're a real pain to change)
    I wasn't going to include it but I changed up the theme and it's gonna be in the game
    I'll probably put out a second demo in a few weeks

Stdh, Giovanni, Crimson Neo and 3 others like this.
  20. Giovanni

This hack really is shaping up to become something incredible. I can't wait to see it in action.