Sonic The Hedgehog: The New Ranger

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Psycho RFG, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psycho RFG

Psycho RFG Well-Known Member Member

Hi to all!
    This project has been growing over all this years. In this game, the worlds of Sonic and the Power Rangers join in a new exciting new adventure. Here I show a video with the logos screens, the story sequence, the title screen, the options screen and the best scores screen.

In those days I will show a video with some new stuff and gameplay. The game will be released when it was finished, but is planned to be released over this year.

Copy/Stole ideas or stuff is not permitted, please respect!

Credits will be visible in the credits of the game ;) but special thanks goes to Vladikcomper, Crash, ValleyBell, SpirituInsanum, MarkeyJester and Flamewing.

I still need some songs to be done, if Cinossu can and want to help, please, contact with me.

EDIT: Here is the gameplay video:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    elaymm4, FохConED, NiphFM and 13 others like this.
  2. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

Can't wait!

And glad to hear that this project is still alive!

3. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

Impressive stuff you got there! It looks and sounds great! Very nice! I'm awaiting for its release.

4. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

NOO way! This looks just freaking amazing! :) Looking forward for this and when its out, i might do a hole playthrough on it.

5. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

It looks phenomenal! I can't wait to download this thing. I hope the gameplay to lives up the hack's proposal.
    Wonderful stuff. Awesome music!

6. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

This hack looks amazing. I can't wait until it's released.

I could offer some help with music if you need it. PM me if you're interested.

7. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Released in time for the SHC2016?

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

I can't wait for this hack! It's great to see that you're still working on it, the music is awesome and the sprites and concept is great too!

9. HackGame

HackGame The ROM Hacker Member

This hack is VERY promising, also is it possible for SHC2016? I can't wait for the final build! :D

10. Psycho RFG

Thanks for all the comments!

I don't know if it will be released for the SHC2016 (that would be really great), but the most important is to release it in this year (no matter if it is after the contest). Release dates are not good for a project so I will try to finish it, but I can't ensure when it will be. Hope I can have more free time (and the colaborators too).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Ravenfreak likes this.
  11. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

This looks really cool. I remember seeing the start of this project quite some years ago, and it's definitely evolved into something with a high degree of quality and polish. The graphics look well done and fit the scheme of things, while the music choices also fit exceptionally well. Very nice work all round, so far.

Also, I can't agree with you more, PsychoRFG. Giving yourself release dates (Like SHC2016, when it may not be ready, for example) is not good, as it typically only strains the project with an imminent release date that you may not be able to hit without a sacrifice in quality. I've typically worked under this rule myself, and it's done no harm, so keep at it. I look forward to the release as and when it comes.

Ravenfreak likes this.
  12. Psycho RFG

And here it is! The video I promised showing the gameplay and some of the features of the game. I hope you like it! Don't miss any moment of the video ;)

13. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

This is fantastic! I love the minimums details you added there, especially the sound effects. Also the idea adding a music when Sonic dies is pretty nice.

14. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    First, let me come out and say that the concept, while different, just doesn't really appeal to me in the slightest. That's fine, of course, as you're not going to please everyone, but may as well be up front.

That being said, the craftsmanship here is excellent. You've put a lot of care and effort into the hack, and it shows. Everything looks clean and polished, and you've probably spent quite awhile weeding out any bugs that have come up. One personal fuss: Cutscenes. I find them to be obnoxious in games like this, and they look out of place in comparison to everything else. Please do add a way to skip them if you don't already have one. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

MarkeyJester likes this.
  15. Psycho RFG

Thanks, again, for all the comments.

About what LazloPsylus said... you have to give it an oportunity, even with the Power Ranger story the game is still basically a Sonic game and it's very enjoyable ;)
    I don't know what do you refer with the cutscenes... there are no cutscenes in the game, just the one (and it is only one screen) of Lord Zedd when Sonic start to collect the Chaos Emeralds (and, of course, you can skip it).... All the others of the first video are the story, that is showed before the title screen and, again of course, you can skip it...

16. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    I should have been more specific. The cutscenes referred to were in fact the story. So long as it's skippable, it's fine. It just doesn't look right to me at all.

17. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Glad to see more progress with this, I know this has be going on for quite awhile. One thing though, still alot of vanilla layouts from Sonic 1, I'd like that to change.

18. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Some good stuff man, especially the title screen and that zedd boss. Also i have to ask, with this having a score board, will there be some kind of channel for this in the future? (ex. Retro channel, Hatt-net, etc.) would be pretty neat being able to see a leader board for this.

Crimson Neo likes this.
  19. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

Oh wow, awesome work! Wish more hackers put lots of polish into their work like you've done here. Personally, I'd like to see a custom Power Ranger costume tailored specifically for Sonic, but you've clearly put in a lot of attention in quality already. Great job, and keep up the effort!

20. Psycho RFG

Thanks for the comments!

Well, Green Hill Zone is basically the same, because as I have said other times it's Green Hill Zone and I wanted to keep it as originally was (it has some small changes, but nothing major). But you are right, the other levels still could have some parts that reminds too much to Sonic 1 or even the same parts but I think they all have enough changes to make them different... It even have some completely new... Anyway I will try to remove the most parts that are exactly the same as Sonic 1, but some of them are really cool... so maybe you could consider the levels as "remixed" levels from Sonic 1, but different enough to enjoy the gameplay.

No, it is notghing related with that. The game is done to play in real hardware and the score board is just a score board for the game. It will be saved so you won't lose your best scores when you turn off the console. I tried to cover all the cases to not "cheat" the game to do a better score.

Any more opinions and questions are welcome ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.