Sonic the Hedgehog TX (Demo)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by bluBird, May 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. bluBird

bluBird Game Developer Member

Many years ago, I created my first Sonic the Hedgehog ROM Hack -- Sonic the Hedgehog TX. It wasn't very good, but it was one of the first times I ever did any sort of game development. Now fast-forward to 2022, and I have many years of Game Maker experience under my belt. For a game jam, I had to create a game using an existing IP, and I thought, "why not try to make another sonic fan game?"

So here we are, within the span of a week I made this demo based off the Game Gear titles. This demo contains a single zone and two playable characters. More will be coming in the final version. The engine is also a little janky due to me having made this game in a single week, but for the most part it works well.

27-05-2022_13-00-35_Runner_370d7.png 27-05-2022_13-01-38_Runner_4e468.png 27-05-2022_13-01-50_Runner_60e77.png 27-05-2022_13-04-05_Runner_4c604.png 27-05-2022_13-05-05_Runner_a811d.png
    You can download the demo on my itch.io page!
    https://tailfeatherstudios.itch.io/sonic-the-hedgehog-tx

Credit to the following:
    • techokami for the Sonic the Hedgehog GG rips
    • paveldechevo604 for the 8-bit Cream sprites
    • Jarel Jones for the Sonic Drift 2 Options Menu remix

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  2. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

The thing I liked about the fangame is the level design, which is simple and clear,
    the game will let you know that there are obstacles, so that the player is ready with the reflexes.
    I would have preferred to see the specific abilities of the characters, similar to Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble.
    Good luck with the project!

3. bluBird

bluBird Game Developer Member

Thank you for the feedback!
    The Game Gear titles used the exclamation signs to signal off-screen hazards, so I figured I'd do the same thing for my game. Also, Cream can't fly because I wasn't sure if I would be able to implement that within the time limit or not. It would require entirely different code to handle that. She'll be able to fly in the final version of the game however.

UPDATE: She's able to fly now!

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Angel X likes this.
  4. NewCoconuts

NewCoconuts Newcomer Prospect

Hey, Are you looking forward to do more Characters for Sonic TX?