The Rep system

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback Archive' started by M.N.K., May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

I was just looking around the forums for a bit and it occurred to me and made me think "is the rep system really needed?" by that I mean the points you see in posts in the bottom right corner. I also notice that as i look at post that just asks simple questions or post that actually have some meaning to it, or even something as a commenting in a polite way seems to take advantage of it and for little or no reason, gives the person -1. I was just wondering if there's a way to remove it. Just a suggestion from me but if you all (staff and admins) feel this is uncalled for in anyway, feel free to trash this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2012
  2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

The existence of reputation in the first place does not change the fact that it's useless. A person with -50 rep points could be just as helpful as a person with +50. The only reason why this system is kept, is because it's nice to get a little thanks for good posts. It's not like a lot of reputation points count towards any achievements, like becoming a Pro User.

As you said, there is no reason to have it. But then again, there's also no reason not to have it. Unless you are some sort of E-Peen addicts.

3. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Yeah. In my opinion, these points are completely unnecessary. Currently I've noticed that someone is giving -1 to all my posts with no reason. I know that these points may be a bit insignificant for some people, but it's tiring see this when these points are in majority sent to some important things that the people are posting. It's very tiring to see that these points are being given with no reason. I'm not telling this only because this is happening to me, it could have being made with anyone here. I think that these negative points being unnecessarily given could influence new members to think about the member which has those unfortunate negative points.

4. DeoxysKyogre

DeoxysKyogre No idea what to put here .-. Member

I agree with everyone. In my opinion, someone's opinion about other person should be kept in the mind of that someone, and not anywhere else. I advice the administrators to remove it. If you want, you can trash this one too.

5. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Personally I quite like the idea, as it gives a bit of an insight into who is helpful and who is not so much. For beginners, it helps work out who might be worth sending a PM to if they need a bit of one on one advice about something. If anyone feels that the system is being abused against them though, they can always PM an admin and we can look into it. I'm pretty sure theres a way we can find out who has been giving the rep points, both positive and negative, and if we find that an individual is targetting someone, then that person will be dealt with accordingly.

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I'm sure there's a way to see whos rated who in the adminCP and how many times they've done it. I remember seeing something like this in the RetroHack adminCP.

As for the Rep thing, I personally do not notice it. I only notice it as soon as someone mentions it =P

7. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Oh, there is. Those abusing the system can't rely on a cloak of annonymity to protect them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
  8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I am glad that I am not the only one who has noticed the odd reputation points here and there, but it is not only negative points, it is also positive points too, if you look around you will notice a lot of posts that do not require (or deserve) any change in points what so ever, have an increase/decrease of points even though the post didn't contribute enough but wasn't completely pointless either.

In them cases, I do tend to reduce or increase the points on them posts to try and set them back from minus or positive, to 0, but often 1 point simply isn't enough, and I cannot do my own posts, and I suggest you guys do the same, if a post is made and you don't feel it requires any change in points, try to set it back to 0 (to sort of... level it up a bit).

I believe there are two or three individuals, giving or taking points from posts simply based on the "popularity" or "respect" of the member, rather than the post itself, looking at half of my own posts, I cannot really see myself earning over 100 points if I had not have made all of those awesome hacks I did through the years, not to say that they haven't changed the way I think and post mind, but it does show that the reputation point system doesn't always function the way it is suppose to, because certain people simply don't understand how to use them responsibly.

To answer your question, no, the reputation system isn't "needed" but it can be nice to have, it would be nicer if it were used properly for the right reasons though.

9. EMK-20218

As a suggestion only... I think it could be added to the rules, Ordos.

10. redhotsonic

Nice idea, I am giving you a rep point!

11. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Oh hey look at the left side there's a reputation bar.

12. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

I personally find the whole system completely useless and not noteworthy at all, but that's me...

13. redhotsonic

Ugh, that rep bar on the side, I do not like it. It looks out of place. I thought it was a warning bar at first ('til I saw this topic)

Also, it's weird that there's people with 3 or 4 rep points, then some of us has 43 odd, then MarkeyJester with 128! =P

14. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

You could convert them into rings.

That said I've never been a big fan of the +, 'like' and similar rating systems either.

15. JackyFarron

JackyFarron Ah, it suits you! Member

I don't really mind. It doesn't give a special prize but looks like it "entertains" the users in some way.

16. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

It's existence isn't bothering anyone, why remove it?

17. Kensou

Kensou Well-Known Member Member

MarkeyJester is the only one with sense... all others only mind about negative points, but don't say nothing of having positive points in posts that don't provide nothing... The rep system is just the opinion of other users, not a challenge to have more points than others.

18. EMK-20218

It could be better if someone add a kind of configuration option in the profile which could of allow us to configure if we want this thing showing in the profile.

19. DarkLeach

DarkLeach Well-Known Member Member

Maybe, but I think the only people to actually go and turn it off are the people with "-" rep points so others don't see their shame, or how much people hate them (those are the only reasons I can think of. :p )

20. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

I'd turn it off and I have positive points. It's ugly as sin.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.