What do we need to do?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback Archive' started by Selbi, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

We all want to get the new SSRG finished soon. Qjimbo just "returned" from his idle phase and is able to continue his work. He gave me FTP access, and after looking into the files, I realised that it really isn't hard at all to understand his type of website programming. So besides helping him whereever I can, I decided to fix stuff and maybe add some things.

Basically, this is a "wish" topic. Write down what you want to have done (but don't trash this topic with tons of unnecesary ideas). I know a lot of things have already been mentioned in former topics, but I want you to show me that we really need to do it.

2. SamplingMastersNix

SamplingMastersNix 64-bit Sonic Hacking Novice Member

OK, I've wanted to get this through for quite some time. What if we try providing the neophytes a chance to upload their work? It's like the beginner hacks segment that got the showroom closed in the first place, only this time, they must agree to some form of contract, saying they must identify any bugs, glitches, and issues that the players will expect while playing the hack, in the author's description. They must also agree to the point that no hack is ever deemed "the best hack", "their best work", etc., because those who describe in that manner, will have their game rejected, coupled with a suspension period. I hope this will work. And, if not, can't say we tried.

3. Selbi

4. DrHackMan

DrHackMan I don't always herp, but when I herp, I derp Member

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to add, but would a little wiki (especially about hacking but for other things about Sonic [games, soundtracks, artwork, comics, fan-games, remixes, characters, ...] too) be possible?

5. MicroChirp

MicroChirp Wow, I was so stupid a few years ago... Member

6. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

7. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Really simple shit here, even a monkey could do it.

- Implement a new validation system which will prevent idiots from swarming around this place.

- Look at the current staff team, demote those who don't do anything or don't want to, hire new people to replace them.

- Look at the current forum structure. Boards that don't do well should be dropped (such as Non-English Discussion and Archive), merge a few boards into one.

- Clean up things such as the various pinned threads on here. Some can be merged (ie: gamertag threads).

- Replace forum header to only show Home and Showroom.

- Move the IRC to a non-dedicated server where it will at least have some activity. A trial was performed on BadnikNET, and it went well.

- Contact page could have more names than just Qjimbo. Listing all the administrators would be better, even linking to a PM function would work.

- Many sections on the website have little, or no content. This needs to be expanded upon.

- Showroom design doesn't fit with the theme, this is actually a graphical problem.

- User comment names should be linked to their forum account.

- MySSRG Profile seems to be redundant. All relevant information could be added as additional forum profile fields.

- "EZ Installer" should contain non-SVN disassemblies too.

- Sofia needs to be dropped as an affiliate, as the site closed months ago.

8. Selbi

I'm starting to work on those right now, if the admin(s) are fine with it of course.

9. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Can you make the new posts in the "Projects" section appear in the "View new posts" like they do on the front page?

10. voice

voice Well-Known Member Member

I have no problems letting go of the IRC at this point, but I need to hear from the site administrators first, keeping in mind that I believe Ordos has said in the past he didn't really give two shits if the thing existed or not. I know people seem to prefer BadnikNET, and thats their choice and their opinion. However, what I do not like is non-staff/admins telling me to, in a off handed way, shutdown the network because they want the channel on BadnikNET.

Lack of activity is due to lack of willingness on the membership's part to actively engage the network, I feel I have done more than enough on my end to try to give you guys easier access to the network and while I made admittedly dumbass mistakes in the past, such as blindly setting up DNSBLs that ended up blocking people unjustly, I've been correcting them, for example: the DNSBLs have been whittled down to one and its not even set to block anyone, just mark their hostname, I haven't been banning people for saying something I didn't like, which even though at the time I denied it to myself I can look back now and say "yes, some of the crap I did was personal acts of revenge and irresponsible."

I've even cleaned out the service's auto gline system:

Code:
    <voice> ?stats glines

-OperServ- There are 0 glines active on the network.

Code:
    <voice> ?stats alerts

-OperServ- Current OperServ alerts matching &#39;*&#39;

-OperServ- ----------------------------------------------

-OperServ- Name				 Action &#40;by Oper&#41;

-OperServ- ----------------------------------------------

-OperServ- ----------------End of Alerts-----------------

Why I've posted this, I don't know, I guess I'm just tired of hearing all of the "move the channel" crap because to me petty reasons like BadnikNET having more people is not a valid point to make, quantity does not equal quality.

11. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

If people are anal over possibly going to BadnikNET, I do netadmin an IRC server myself.

12. voice

voice Well-Known Member Member

You're not getting the point of my post, and I probably should have made a better explanation. I personally believe all of this "abandon the network" stuff is more or less directed at me because for some reason people can't seem to get over what happened in the past. I know people in the Sonic Scene don't like me, and from what I can gather that is really the reason behind all of this. As I have stated in my previous post I made it more than easy enough for you guys to connect to the network but you still chose not to and instead insist the channel be relocated to another network.

13. SamplingMastersNix

SamplingMastersNix 64-bit Sonic Hacking Novice Member

Have you tried establishing a WyldRyde chatroom? Use that.

14. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

To be fair, the reason for that statement is that I'm not a big IRC user these days. 5-6 years ago I was a heavy user, I'd be logged into the various community channels, CulT mainly. But, my interest in IRC just began to wane, and then it just tapered off. I'm rarely ever logged into any IRC channel.

But, back to the status of the IRC channel. I'm not sitting on the fence of either the 'keep it' or 'drop it' camp. So, I'll go with what ever the concensus is.

15. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

So, am I the only one who's happy with this forum as it is?

It's funny at times, gets an alright amount of activity, has users of different skill levels and I don't think that needs to change. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
  16. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Yes, I agree with this. Actually, to be fair, a new influx of members have given the place a tad more activity, even if there is a bit of members whom don't know much. We're pretty blessed - a few months ago there was barely any posts at all.

17. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

I'm happy as it is. :|

18. Selbi

I was not talking about changing things, I was talking about fixing things and adding/finishing things. I'm aware that the activity coming back slowly and we may not ruin that chance, but letting this site as the unfinished state as it is right now doesn't help either.

19. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

For sure, I know you meant about the site side of things. I agree 100% with you about the website.

I just meant the Forum side of things.

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

As of what it used to be months back, it is improving slowly, I wouldn't say the members here are what you'd consider forum material though *runs*. But really, people are learning and improving, and it is gonna take time yeah, while the site is ok as it is (hell it could do worse), some adjustments, fix-ups, etc, couldn't hurt...

...could it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.