SonLVL

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by MainMemory, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  2. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

It would help more if it was C#, instead of VB.NET. It's fine though, there are converters available. I'll see what I can do.

@rika_chou What would that look like?

3. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

​Yeah. It has the collision editor, but it doesn't have a visual editor for angles.

​This also confused me a loto to. Mainly when I solve to make the solids from the scratch.

​Yeah, it have. And you can choose which angle to put in the blocks in SonED2. But there's no visual method for choose the angle so we need to test one per one until we have the proper result. This takes more time to find the proper angles for the blocks in case we port collision from other levels or in case of setting up angles for blocks with custom collisions.

4. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

​I always have to reference this site when I am editing: http://stephenuk.hacking-cult.org/SCHG/General/CollisionFormat/CollisionFormat.htm

Reading that, I'm not sure if the information is right because it doesn't seem to match up to the game (but I have a hard time wrapping my head around it, so maybe it does). For a visual editor, I would imagine something like this: (sorry about using SonED2 as an example, I don't have SonLVL set up right now)

[​IMG]

Where the red line represents the angle,which could be selectable/editable just like the collision. I'm honestly not sure if something like this would make sense or work. (I guess I'm not sure how it would look like because I don't understand how the data works. I hope this doesn't sound too stupid :p)

5. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

If something like that needs to be made, it must support curves too. Also, I don't think the collision editors support copy/paste, something I'd love to have to improve level ports; I redo the collision by hand most of the time, and it isn't always right because I can't copy/paste certain slopes/curves over (I may be wrong though, I don't have SonLVL in front of me, and I honestly haven't touched the feature in a while).

6. MainMemory

@rika_chou The problem with that image, is that you want the angle to be aligned to the collision, when in reality, the angle could be a complete mismatch to the collision, so how would it display that? It seems to me that it can only be displayed as a line that goes through the center of the block, possibly as a separate image. What I could do also or instead of that, is have a button to calculate the angle from the heightmap, as it does when importing collision from images. It's not perfect, but it should get you in the general area, excluding blocks that need different collision due to the blocks around them.

@Pacguy64 Copy/Paste is something I can do.

7. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

That sounds good! Though I still wouldn't mind a way to view it in the editor even if it doesn't match.

8. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

Something came to me after an unfortunate incident with FDZ (read: corrupted everything, I have to get the data recovered):
    Why not have an "autosave" feature that keeps a backup of all files currently loaded, saved every 5-10 minutes? This way, should your level's files get corrupted, the autosaved ones could be put in their place to pick up not too far from where you left off.

9. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

Kinda like SoniPlane has, you can set amount of time between autosaves and then if you fail you can pick up a autosave and use it as if it was the main one. You can also do savestates and do maximum amount of data that autosave folder can have and then older autosaves are cleaned when this amount has gone over. Would be neat to have this in SonLVL in some form!

10. MainMemory

I'm not sure how to make that work with the system I have.

11. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

Quick question, I'm not very good at this sort of thing - how can you make loop chunks in Sonic 1?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  12. MainMemory

Double-clicking in Draw mode will toggle the loop flag (indicated by a yellow box around the chunk in the layout). If you have the INI files set up properly, then specific chunks will automatically be marked as loops when placed in a level.

13. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

After upgrading SonLVL today, Avast accused of it be a virus, and removed half of the files. Is there any explanation (and someone had same problem)? Or I just should disable Avast?

EDIT: It's never happend to me before.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  14. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

False positives likely. You should make Avast! either require your consent to remove offending files or add exception to SonLVL's folder so it knows you dont mind if there are "viruses". Some virus mechanics search for an 8-byte sequence, which is fairly common to come by and it is very likely this is being recognized and flagged as a virus. I guess its a good safety measure for old people who understands almost nothing about computers, but for someone like me, I turn the virus scanners off for 99% of the time.

15. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

An annoying bug involving importing; when the chunk list is completely filled up with all but one chunk, and I try to import a 128x128 image as a chunk, Sonlvl says that it cannot import because there are 0 chunks leftover, which it claims it has no room for. The only way I see to fix this is to cut out another chunk, then replace it after the import is complete.

16. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

is it possible to delete selected tiles/chunks/blocks, like ctrl+A to select all & delete this way? (i don't think it does in the update i have if there was a recent one. My computeris now offline work)

17. MainMemory

No. If you wanted to delete all the data, you could click the buttons to clear the FG and BG, then delete unused chunks, blocks and tiles in that order; or just delete the relevant files and SonLVL will create blank ones (make sure not to delete the palette file).

18. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Alright well I found a glitch that can be an issue at times.. When importing chunks even if the palette in the level matches the colors in the chunk it will sometimes make one of the colors use one of the spaces used for transparency. I do realize sometimes people do want one of them to be transparent so maybe it would be possible to add an option when importing if it should use a transparent space or not. Or better yet maybe an option to choose what palette spaces to ignore when importing since it has a tendency to use colors that are similar to others that you don't want used, hope this isn't asking too much or I'm sounding demanding or it's impossible.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  19. MainMemory

Just use indexed color (paletted) images, then you can guarantee that the image will use the specific palette indexes you want.

20. MainMemory

New tool: Sprite Sheet Generator.

Usage: spritesheetgen [options] input output

Input is an INI file containing art, mappings, palette, etc like SonLVL.
    Output is a PNG file.

Arguments:

-h, --help Shows this help screen.
    -p, --padding=number Pixels of padding between sprites. Default 2.
    -c, --columns=number Number of columns per row. Default 8.
    -w, --width=number Width of the image. As many sprites will be placed in each row as possible.
    -g, --grid Align all sprites in a grid.
    -b, --background=color Background color, as a name or #RRGGBB. Default Transparent.

SpriteSheetGen.exe -c 16 -g -b Fuchsia example.ini SpriteSheetGen-example.png
    [​IMG]