Sonic Hacking Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Spanner, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Why would we need a mobile client for the Hacking Contest though? The site functions well enough on mobile, and it changes every year.

2. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Well It's not a completely bad idea if we just have the application for SSRG and Retro Users. Just my 2 cents but still. I do agree with Misinko since the site changes each year. So lets keep it that way that it has been for awhile.

3. FохConED

FохConED Join to Digital Resistance! Member

Make then the adaptive interface because my Nexus 7(2012) doesn't cope with such websites quietly any more, and it isn't comfortable to work with it because of the slow speed of work. And I think it is necessary to keep up to date and don't stand still.

4. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

I think we should have a version of site optimized for small screens. :Р

5. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I cannot, for the love of anything, see why such a thing would be needed. An entire app for an event that lasts a fraction of a year for a niche community? There's literally nothing that would justify the work involved to create that. The website may need one of those "classic" modes that use the most basic HTML so that every last potato smartphone can display the entries at least enough so that you can download it.

Better idea, though: use a god dang computer to download and play the hacks. Console games, old or new, aren't meant to be played on badly implemented emulators on a 5''-screen.

Pacca, Soldaten, Crimson Neo and 3 others like this.
  6. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

Or, you could just have the website have mobile and desktop modes, then adjust the mobile site to better suit mobile phones. This is not that hard to do, either, but a lot of work for sure.

Pacca, Soldaten, FохConED and 2 others like this.
  7. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

What if it is, say, broooken?

8. Selbi

Then I would say, tough luck. I will not do your essay either because you forgot to do your homework five years ago, now would I?

TheStoneBanana likes this.
  9. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

Why you're comparing broken computers to unfinished homework? It doesn't make sense for me. Not everyone can use computers and people really want to open SHC site via mobile (I also want it) . It's also plus for our community, because more people will be on this site and be active, because of mobiles. And more people can enjoy SHC 2016.

10. Selbi

I'm not comparing computers to homework for the sake of comparing computers with homework, it was an analogy of how it doesn't make sense to devote a lot of time into a few select cases where people cannot be arsed to get their technical issues set up in order for what the contest is meant to be enjoyed on.

In the year 2016 I don't buy the argument that anyone doesn't have access to a computer, especially not in a community this devoted to technical things. And if that were the case, go to an internet cafe or something.

11. Misinko

Based on what has happened in the past (the very recent past, I might add), more people hanging around the community is possibly the worst thing for it.

ArcaniaCQ and LordXernom like this.
  12. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

Ok, I understand now. I forgot, more people in community = more n00bs with bad attitude. That's why the trialist change was putted and other stuff, so mobile shit is not needed.

13. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

If any of you guys really want a mobile app for the SHC site, you're going to have to convince the staff that there's enough of you guys to justify creating one. Would also help if you can recommend people who are willing to create such an app for absolutely no pay and can do a fine job at the same time. If you cannot do either of the two, you'll either have to find another way of accessing the site or you're going to have to just miss it this year.

The people running the contest shouldn't have to go jumping through hoops and rings for what might be a small percentage of people online who cannot access or refuse to use computers. You can keep making some of the most obscure requests all you'd like, just don't expect every single one of them to be addressed by those in charge. If that answer still not satisfying enough for you, then look into ways you can personally contribute to the contest in such a manner rather than piling on the already big list of things the SHC staff has to deal with every year.

14. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

...why the devil would an app need to be made?
    All that would need to be done would be for Marc to make a mobile version of the site, and if he's willing to do such then he will.

M.N.K., Ravenfreak and LordXernom like this.
  15. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

I really dont see the need for it having a mobile version at all. I mean I go to pc version at times on my phone and i never have any problelms at all. With my opinion out of the way, probably a bit of a dumb question but any chance that there will be streams being done for this year?

16. Misinko

17. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

UPDATE ON JUDGES

We have come to a decision on recruiting new judges to replace those who are no longer involved and two new judges for this year will be amphobius (DalekSam) and Clownacy.

This should complete the judges for this year, but if replacements are needed due to whatever reason then judges may be added or removed at any time.

18. InTheZone

InTheZone Well-Known Member Exiled

Fuck I'm still not a judge.

19. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Send all bribes discreetly to my Swiss Bank account.

Joking aside I hope to contribute and be a useful asset for the contest. I previously expressed interest privately that if there were positions that needed filled I'd put myself forward, and as a musician I hope to be able to provide internal discussion about what to look for in that regard. Very grateful to be in such a privileged position.

20. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

I wholeheartedly appreciate the appointment of both Sam and Clownacy for partaking the role of Superdelegates (Judges) at Sonic Hacking Contest XIV Online, these two have delivered a powerful amount of dedication to the scene since their rise in the ranks during the 200X decade, they are debatably two of the utmost just and fair of the bunch that we have seen up to now and I am more than positive that they will be more than capable of delivering a balanced decision on which entries they vote for at the Convention (Contest Week).
    Especially given their personal expertise in specific fields, I personally do believe that this will allow for other Superdelegates to sway the vote for the entries that best apply to the respective trophy or trophies (rather than certain titles getting some rather obscure ones for them, it has happened before); I also believe that this will also allow for more proper diversity and potentially making the contest one that will be able to tell which titles are the more advanced and which majorly good ones still need improvement over time, these two have handled the odds in their own respect and I know that they will be able to give it their all when discussing the entries in detail in October and November.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016