CrazySonic: Super Ultra Cool Bodacious Radical Mega CD Remastered Edition!!!

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Devon, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

CrazySonic: Super Ultra Cool Bodacious Radical Mega CD Remastered Edition!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What even is this???

...hehehehehe, ain't I a real stinker? For the sheer fuck of it, just for fun, I remade the hack as a Sega CD title, added some "gameplay enhancements", ironed out some kinks, and added some fun extra content. ;) Unfortunately, I only spent like 2 weeks on it for the 2023 hacking contest, so I didn't get to add everything I wanted to add, but I did at least get the major stuff I wanted in.

New Features
    • New double jump and slightly increased movement speed to help with navigation.
    • Health and tire pressure mechanisms to add challenge to the gameplay. You can run over enemies, but unless you are jumping or rolling into them, you will take a little bit of damage. Touching anything with a spike will pop your tires and the pressure will slowly go down until you run out or hit a tire monitor or reach a checkpoint.
    • Brand new 3D special stages inspired by Crazy Taxi. Deliver people to their destinations for some sweet macguffins.
    • Tweaked LSD mode (previously known as "420blazeit mode") to both make the color cycling less intense and also enhance it with additional waviness. This can be activated through monitors throughout each stage to give you invincibility.
    • Brand new rave mode with a bangin' and "crazy" track, also found in monitors to halve the damage you take.
    • Updated versions of the "better" games with some cool enhancements. Check them out for yourself to see what's been changed :)
    • New level and boss fight for when you beat the final boss and have all 7 Chaos Tires.
    • You can also go super if you have all 7 Chaos Tires.
    Controls
    • Bus: Left or right to move, A to honk the horn B or C to jump and double jump, C in the air to turn super if you have all the 7 Chaos Tires
    • Submarine: D-pad to move around, C to turn super if you have all the 7 Chaos Tires
    • Special Stage: Up to accelerate, down to brake and back up, left or right to turn, A to honk the horn.
    Who asked for this?

Nobody! And guess what? I don't care!

Screw you! I don't wanna play the entire game! Where are the "better games"? Can I get a level select pls?

Up Down Left Right at the title screen. You'll get access to the "better games" there as well... bitch.

Credits

I shat this whole thing in just 2 weeks at the very last minute. CrazyBus was originally created by Tom Scripts. Credit goes to Flamewing for their Ultra DMA queue and vladikcomper for their improved Nemesis and Kosinski decompression routines. Additional graphics were taken from Sonic CD, CrazyBus, The Incredibles (GCN), Hong Kong 97, and the PC-98 Touhou games. Additional music taken from Nakaura's demo tracks, The Offspring, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, and Hong Kong 97.

And no, the rave track is not Jellyfish Jam nor Tee Lopes' CrazyBus remix, it's an original track made by me.

Download

Here. The zip file contains builds for different regions. Pick the right one for your system. Have fun... or not! I don't really care, I just did this for myself. Go ahead and bitch about it if you want lol

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  2. Devon

I've created a playlist of all the remixes I have made for the hack.

3. Devon

ok what the fuck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

>best character implementation
    y'all can't be serious

I will say that I am genuinely proud of the special stage, so there's that.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  4. Devon

Update time! Got some bugs fixed and also implemented a few things I wanted to add originally, but didn't have the time to.
    • Fixed zone ID not being reset when going back to title screen
    • Fixed super flag not being reset at the start of a level or the ending sequence
    • Fixed issue in Labyrinth Zone Act 3 corridor before the boss where you can become the submarine above water and glitch out
    • Fixed corruption in Better Game 2 if entered after playing a level
    • Made frame rate of Special Stage and Better Game 1 match how it ran on hardware
    • Added Price Is Right game over screen, like in the original 2015 hack
    • Added a crappy image gallery in the level select
    • Added music for the credits sequence
    Download

For the record, the previous build was a newer one built after the contest build. That one already fixed the level wrapping issue and Scrap Brain Zone Act 2 cutscene soft-lock.

ProjectFM, DeltaWooloo and Stdh like this.
  5. Devon

Update time again!
    • Fixed a bug I introduced that caused going to special stages in normal gameplay to go to the game over screen
    • Fixed a bug where pressing start when continuing after a game over in Better Game 2 would also pause the game
    Download

ProjectFM and DeltaWooloo like this.