Custom Boss

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Zulkaroth, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zulkaroth

Zulkaroth Newcomer Member

OK, so I'm doing this Sonic 2 hack where I'm trying to make completely new levels, bosses, etc. Like a new game. :)

So, where should I start with making a new boss in ASM? From scratch? Based off of a different one?

I'm a newbie to ASM. I know move and rts and about nothing else. Is this not a good thing to start with? How can I improve my skills?

Thanks for your time.

--Zulkaroth

2. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

You can improve your skills by reading up on how assembly works, as well as trying smaller projects. Basing something off of something else is always easier, but it all depends on what you want to do.

3. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Making a new boss from scratch if you can only work with move and rts will get you nowhere. To answer your question, you should use those two commands and modify the EHZ boss. Comment out and edit various lines and see what happens. This is the usual way to learn Sonic Hacking.

4. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Boss editing can be hard, depending on what you are trying to achieve, and because your new I wouldn't just try to start a new boss yet until you know enough about asm and how obects work.

So my suggestion? go here how to work with asm. This will teach you the basics of asm, and also:

Objects guide by malevolence and markey jester to teach you the basic of objects. But because its in sonic 2 I'm not too sure, it might be simular to sonnic 1 but I don't really know enough on sonic 2 boss editing. When you know enough, trying finding a boss in sonic 2 and experiment with things to see what happens. Best to do your research before, going into the deep end.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
  5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Irixion, Selbi and Animemaster have beat me to it, you know what? All have yourself a point for the great advice and help =)

Zulkaroth, all you'll need to know is what's above you, check them out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.