does anyone know how to get a ring when you destory an enemy

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by sonicrules, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonicrules

sonicrules Newcomer In Limbo

i went searching the sonic 1 .asm file and found something that said bsr.w CollectRing and I copied and pasted it to touch_kill_enemy

but i didn't build i just said jump height too big.The problem is fixed thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  2. Centurey

Centurey Well-Known Member Member

please clear this up? I really cant understand a word you said :/

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

Yes, there is a limit in how far you can jump within a ROM, due to the fact when you use functions like bsr, they place how many bytes you jumped from on the stack, and sometimes the distance is so great it cannot fit (I believe the max distance you can jump is $FF, or 255 bytes). The solution is to create a function halfway between called CollectRing_jmp or something, and then within that add the bsr.w CollectRing code. In the touch_kill_enemy, you would then want to add

jmp CollectRing_jmp

:tks_return

Then in your CollectRing_jmp routine add jmp tks_return below the CollectRing bsr. I think thats the best way to do it.

An easier solution, if you want Sonic to simply get an extra ring on the counter, would be to simply add 1 to the ring counter area of RAM.

4. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

Huh? I don

5. sonicrules

sonicrules Newcomer In Limbo

now it works thanks for telling me how to get a ring per enemy you should make a how to work with rings guide.

6. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

No, usually, this is a simple task of Sonic 1 ASM hacking. You should learn it by yourself, but Qjimbo was nice and told you how. It

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  7. shobiz

shobiz Well-Known Member Member

Just a small correction - for a short branch the exact limit is 129 bytes forward/126 bytes back from the instruction start address, and for a word branch (as well as pc-relative jsr and jmps) it's 32769 bytes forward and 32766 bytes back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.