Giovanni's Level Pack (Demo)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by giovanni.gen, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giovanni.gen

giovanni.gen It's still Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

"Sup, everyone! I missed this place."

Alright, now that I am back, I am here to present to you a quick demonstration of an upcoming hack that I started yesterday.
    This hack is a level pack which currently features a single level, but will feature six levels when finished. (Six different zones with a single act.)
    What you're going to see is Green Hill Zone, which has a new level design, a little easter egg (which is a reference to a past hack of mine) and a special surprise!
    I hope you will enjoy!

Features:
    Spin Dash
    Removed Life System
    A new level select, where you can pick your favourite level
    A new level
    And more...

Here are some screenshots of what you're going to see:
    Screen 1.PNG
    Screen 2.PNG
    Screen 3.PNG

Tools used

SonLVL - MainMemory
    Sonic 1 Text Code Generator - Selbi
    Sonic 1 Github Disassembly - Hivebrain
    ReadySonic - Mercury
    SonMapEd - Xenowhirl
    HxD - Maël Hörz
    ConTEXT - ConTEXT Project Ltd.

Downloadable ROM at the end of the thread.

Attached Files:

EMK-20218 and pixelcat like this.
  2. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

I'm not a level designer at all, but man, that bottomless pit at the very start wasn't a good idea... replace it with a wall or something...

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

There are some cool ideas here though, despite some rough edges.

Regarding the boss, I honestly lost track of how many times I hit Eggman. I'm not sure it needs to be more than 8 hits, especially if it's that repetitive.

4. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

Some really neat ideas, but rough execution. I really liked how it starts out exactly like Sonic 1, but then throws you for a loop.
    This stands with the bossfight as well, I expected to just have to do the Sonic 1 boss once again but it caught me off guard once he started running away.
    The boss taking more hits is excusable, seeing as with good timing you can get 3 hits on him at once and quickly swoop in for the next.

Additionally, bottomless pits typically aren't a first level thing - if they are, you'd have to really try to fall down them.

Edit:
    nvm i hate it
    [​IMG]

giovanni.gen likes this.
  5. giovanni.gen

giovanni.gen It's still Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

Hi, thanks for the feedback!
    So, the bottomless pit at the beginning was a reference to a very old hack of mine, but I think this reference might be very obscure, so I might change it with a wall or something.
    Also, speaking about the boss, the hits necessary to destroy it are 16. Honestly, now that I think of it, that looks like too much, so I might decide to nerf it in a future version.

Anyways, I'm glad I've received this criticism. The second demo will be released when 3 zones will be ready.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.