How to make a good topic to present your ROM Hack

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Master Emerald, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Emerald

Master Emerald In limbo, just like the original Hidden Palace In Limbo

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
  2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

This was very helpful. Thanks for this. :)

But I have a problem: My hack is for 90% just ASM (only palettes and layouts are changed. The rest is still the same). It's hard to show things like Jumpdash etc. in Screenshots. Any Ideas?

(Sorry for posting so lately. I haven't had the time to post. :))

3. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

Without a doubt the most redundant thing I've seen in the last four years. Seriously, if you are so inept you need a guide just to post to the forum, how the hell are you going to be competent enough to make something to post in the first place?! I didn't realise presentation was so crucial! What happens if I break Golden Rule 4 and put download links in the dead centre of my post? Am I going to be crucified by the angry, baying mob?

What the hell is the obsession with screenshots? All these images and youtube videos - wouldn't you rather people first saw your new features or artwork in-game, as nature intended them?

4. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

You mean, I don't need to post screenshots?

5. iojnekns

Thats pretty much what I said. The only argument proponents of screenshots seem to be able to muster is basically a paraphrase of "IM TOO LAZY TO BOTHER LOOKING" which frankly, is their loss.

Put it this way, if you've done something cool, and then you let the cat out of the bag in a screenshot before anyone has even had an opportunity to play, I can only see it taking away from the impact of your work.

6. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

But you could use that arguement against advertisements for any product, trailers for films, or screenshots/gameplay footage from newly released games. It's just a method of marketing that happens to work, and I don't see why that should be considered a bad thing.

7. iojnekns

True enough, and I can understand when parting with cash for goods, how an image which purports to illustrate the quality of the final product would be a good move for the seller and buyer alike. I'm not against the concept as a whole, I just think that when it comes to showcasing amateur modifications which are done simply for the fun and satisfaction, you are lucky to get a 10 minutes of 'new' experience, you shouldn't go around diminishing the impact further. Ultimately, the choice lies with the poster. I'm really just reacting against the "I didn't play it yet, but you should post screenshots" brigade that like to descend on posters - the fact that they can take the time to post, but not to play the ROM makes my blood boil.

That said, this is a bit of a digression - is a guide such as this really necessary? Is the OP even qualified to be making such assertions about what does or doesn't qualify as a "good topic to present your ROM Hack"? Does the presentation really matter, is it not the content that matters? How about a guide to tying your shoes? Or brushing your teeth? Or a guide to presenting your guides properly in a topic? They might be useful to a similar subset of people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.