Music Porting

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by hakiwad, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hakiwad

hakiwad Newcomer Member

I have read through Sonic Retro's music hacking guide but still have no idea how to port music from any of the games on the data locations. e.g Phantasy star 4.

2. hakiwad

hakiwad Newcomer Member

Every time I port the song "Under Magma" to marble zone, at a certain point I get an illegal instruction error!

Any help would be appriciated. :)

3. FRACH

FRACH Newcomer Exiled

happens to me exactly the same

4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

We need more information before help is at hand. Can you show us the line of the error (or the latest bit of ASM you have done)?

5. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Yeah, we ain't clairvoyants. So, if you want to get help in rectifying your problem, then you gotta do as RHS suggests - give us something to work with.

6. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

"Under Magma" is a Ristar song. Ristar uses two DAC channels -- you'll need to make sure you've converted it properly otherwise you will get unpleasant errors.

7. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

The coordination flags in Ristar also works in a different way. There are some values to add to the pointer stuff and also in some loop flags. He is getting this kind of problem certainly because he tried to port using the ErikJS's Music Pointer Fixer instead of the music hacking guide itself.

8. hakiwad

hakiwad Newcomer Member

This is the error,

ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION$0007659E

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

That error report is no good to us, it displays the offset in the rom of where the processor read an instruction that was invalid, but we'd need to the rom to check this offset.

I'm going to take a guess here, the offset is around the 70000 area where the music in the original title is approximately, and yours is quite close (with the additions to any changes you may have made/added), and the fact that you mentioned porting a track, I'm going to assume the track has a flag that was unchanged resulting in the processor jumping on a table to an incorrect address, thus the possibility of hitting into code that is not a machine instruction.

10. Sinkdude

Sinkdude He looked much leaner on TV Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.