My GH1 Level Design

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Jami393, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jami393

Jami393 Active Member Member

Right I'm just a beginner at everything at Sonic 1 hacking, but I just did a new GH1 level design for Sonic 1. And I just wanted to see what people thought of it, for a newbie.

Here's the link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3F1UYZCM . Also for some stupid reason the Sega sound at the title has gone static could someone help me out with that please.

Also in the level, there is hardly any badniks or rings or anything like that, I'm just paying attention to the main level for now.

EDIT: I have changed the link because I uploaded the wrong file.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  2. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

I've played this hack, but couldn't see any layout changes as well as static noise in Sega sound. It seems to be just a clean ROM.

I just opened the archive and saw "s1.bin" instead of "s1build.bin". This means you've uploaded the wrong file.

As for Sega sound, there is a guide about fixing it: http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Fix_the_SEGA_Sound

3. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

After trying out the layouts to Acts 1 and 2, there are a few things I'll point out that could use some improvement...

- I found myself running into spikes after going through the S-Tubes which isn't a good thing. The last thing you want players to feel is annoyed after playing a level by setting up traps they'll most certainly run into.

- I noticed that a few chunks throughout both acts didn't sit well next to each other. I would sometimes run straight through what I thought would be a solid wall which in the end would lead me straight into a pitfall.

- The layouts themselves appeared to be rather one-sided, and by that I mean multiple routes were at a very minimum (if any at all). Something to note when creating layouts is that the more paths there are to take to the end of the level, the more replay value you'll give to your hack. It also gives the player a sense of exploration if there are other ways to reach the end of the level.

Overall though, having played many beginner hacks out there, I'll admit that your layouts weren't too bad for a start. I believe that all you need is a little bit of guidance, some feedback, and practice for your work to make great improvements. For being new to hacking, I'll say you've definetly done well, just keep at it and you'll do better in no time. =)

4. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

Well, I've just remembered myself, when I was a beginner. I was making my hack, concentrating on level design as well. I had been changing first five levels' layouts for 5 months, but they were quite awful. I was doing each thing slowly thinking it would make it perfect looking. Though I didn't release my hack having only a zone changed.

Your level design is good somewhere but it's generally bad. I mean there are few rings, lots of spikes and some non-solid walls. But don't worry, your hack is pretty good =) There were far more worse beginner hacks.

I advice you to download S1 Hacking Studio learn ASM and try out some tutorials. Also, never disable Level Select menu, because I'm rather lazy to got through the first two acts to see the third one, you know, I often die due to bad level design.

EDIT: Grammar, as always =(

5. RandomAvatarFan

RandomAvatarFan Well-Known Member Member

I played through it, and in my opinion they seemed kind of.. slow.

The first levels almost always include speeding through loops and slopes, collecting tons of rings and the like, and just rolling through enemies along the way. Sonic is fast, he's unstoppable. And then the next level that's when the slow platforming begins. Now, I'm not saying that Green Hill Zone CAN'T be like that, but take a look at the original, or some of the most popular hacks. Green Hill Zone is about speed, and I just didn't get that in yours.

I also agree with Boom, I think there was only one route in the first act, and a split only halfway through the second. I understand making one route is hard enough, but I know the original GHZ had many different routes, which makes replaying the game fun.

I also understand you just wanted to see how the chunks fit together (which I thought wasn't horrible, although there were a few questionable places) but none of the walls of the chunks are actually solid. You have to add the solid wall item to the sides, else Sonic will just be running through the wall and falling to his death. Often. Even if it's on a wall facing the opposite way, they're still needed as a part of the layout.

Conclusion- 75% C. The level is playable, but the concept of speed and area are missing, which are huge parts in the game. Not good, but it still plays. A little extra work and thought can clean it up and make it better.

6. Jami393

Jami393 Active Member Member

But from I remember there was only one solid wall tile missing because, it leads to a extra life box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.