Problem with SonED2

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Unlimited Trees, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees Banned for being a fucking cockwomble Exiled

I was originally going to save my last trial post for the next release of my hack, S2BWMLD, but there is no way for me to ask anyone since the only way of communicating with Sonic fans who know what they're doing is through this website)

As some of you might know, I started to move my project, Sonic 2 But With More Level Design, to a disassembly. I was working on CPZ1. After I did some progress, I decided to save it and test the level using Kega Fusion. When I loaded the ROM, the level was messed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not sure why this happens. I simply saved the project file as you normally would, built the ROM, and played it and... this happened. There are tiles spread all over the place, but the collision detection is still there despite there being no tiles.

Also, there's a similar problem in SonED1 in which if you close out of the program while it messes up.

I need an explanation as to why this happened and how I could fix it. I really don't want to have to restart working on Chemical Plant Zone again.

Also, Sonic is doing the "draw me like one of your French girls" pose in mid air. That's radical.

Attached Files:

MarkeyJester likes this.
  2. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Use SonLVL.

Painto, FireRat, ArcaniaCQ and 2 others like this.
  3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

There is a chance for it to mess up if you don't allow it to save fully before closing the program down (The message "SAVED: DIrectory name here" should occur, indicating that it has saved, if you close before this point, SonED will not have finished its compression/saving process properly/fully). There are however, a few other misc things that are (not really your fault per se), that could also explain it.

I would recommend SonLVL for your needs personally. It is best suited for you due to its stability, and basic/easy UI.

ThomasThePencil and Crimson Neo like this.
  4. Unlimited Trees

I already tried using SonLVL.

ehhhhhhhh...

Also how the fuck am I back in the trialist group

5. MainMemory

Then you'll just have to learn to live with SonED2's shortcomings.

6. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

You were given a retrail because the admins were undecided on whether to promote you or not. The 'Prospect' group was made for these types of situations. Don't blow the posts on something stupid, and you should be able to become a member just fine.

7. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Can you tell us what the problem you're having with SonLVL is? Were you able to use it correctly and just didn't like the interface or did you have trouble installing and decided not to bother using it?

Devon, Ravenfreak and Clownacy like this.
  8. Unlimited Trees

When I tried to load CPZ in SonLVL, nothing appeared. It might be because I haven't downloaded some random Microsoft program. But when I tried to download that Microsoft thing, it said that I had to download ANOTHER program just to get it to install. Being the lazy shit bucket that I am, I just gave up trying.

9. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

So, instead of just telling MainMemory whatever error message(s) you're getting in order for him to help you resolve your problem, you decide to say fuck it.
    That's not an attitude that's going to make people want to help you by any means.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I'm gonna lock up this thread for now.

The simple fact is, there's not enough information to fix your SonED problem. SonED is quite delicate too, and its creator is considerably too busy with important issues to offer a helping hand. Your SonLVL problem can be solved by talking to MainMemory directly. You can PM him on the board if necessary, but I do suggest provided as much information as possible, both to MainMemory if you decide to run him a PM, and on this board in general for the future.

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Crimson Neo likes this.
  11. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

I'm old and biased towards using SonED, so accept my reply in that context.

If I'm using an application and it works fine for my purposes and then someone comes along with something shiny and new, should I abandon it and take up something I know absolutely nothing about? Sure. To see what it's like. To see if I like it better.

If then that something doesn't work out of the box? Yeah, I might put in some effort, but if I already have something that works I wouldn't try all that hard. Why? Because I have something that already works! Why put time and frustration into a solution I already have?

I've never used SonLVL. Unless I go back to making ROM hacks I most likely never will and never had thought to before this because I had SonED. That being said, I'll be the first to admit that it's a dated piece of software.

So tell me, UnlimitedTrees, what is the reason that you stopped:

Did you just figure that you had something that worked and moved on, or did you give up because it was too hard and confusing to figure out?

Just curious.

12. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Unlocking this at the request of MainMemory, who wants to handle the SonLVL issues in public. That being said, this topic's gone deep into southern territory, and it's in severe danger of trashing. There's a lot of information missing here, and if it's not provided, this will be locked and trashed promptly.

13. Unlimited Trees

I gave up on SonLVL because:

1.) As I stated, I didn't want to go through the hassle of downloading other programs just to get one program to work. If I want to get a program, I want it to at least function once I take it out of the box.
    2.) It was more confusing to use than SonED2. Atleast for SonED2 it was simple: Load the Project File and start editing the zone. With SonLVL however you have to copy a certain folder to the disassembly, load a INI file and then you have to choose which level you want to edit.
    3.) At the time of downloading, I had no way of figuring out how to use this thing. The internet was being extremely slow due to my dad playing Call Of Duty in the next room. And to add to this, Sonic Retro went offline for me, so I couldn't find the tutorial for SonLVL.
    4.) I am a lazy assoholic bitch

Also railgun person thing, you could go ahead and trash this. This topic has already gone to the shitter.

14. MainMemory

It sounds like you didn't actually need to download any other programs, since it never crashed, you just didn't understand how to use it.
    SonED2 requires you to copy the project file folder into the disassembly too, unless you're using one of the GitHub disassemblies, which come packaged with SonED2 AND SonLVL project files. And if you're seriously complaining about having one extra step in the process of loading a level, then I have no desire to help you with anything.
    That is a legitimate problem. Sonic Retro has proven to be an unreliable host, so perhaps in the future I will start including a copy of the tutorial with the program.
    Have fun with SonED2 then. I'm done here.

15. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

I think everyone has seen what they need to see here. Don't you agree? Topic closed.

Unlimited Trees likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.