Problem with Speed Shoes

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by FlyTF, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyTF

FlyTF Newcomer Trialist

Hello there, it's me again.
    I put the S3K Tempo Algorithm into my hack.
    The problem is: if I use Speed Shoes (or E2 in Level Slect) music slows down.
    Click

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

1) You need to show us your workings/code on what you did to implement this so we have something to go by.
    2) For short problems like this, please use the Basic Questions and Answers thread :)

3. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

If I remember correctly, S3K's tempo algorithm runs from fastest to slowest (02 for fast music, 07 for slower music) and S1 is configured to be the opposite. The speed shoes must be hardcoded to increase the tempo by S1's rules, but it causes the opposite effect with the new algorithm. The most logical fixes are to edit the code that speeds up the music, or replace the speed up with a dedicated speed up track like Sonic CD did.

4. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

...or just modify the speed up tempo table in the sound driver to have S3 equivalents of the given values.

NiphFM likes this.
  5. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

ASH is totally wrong here. S1 tempo algorithm uses a timer counting down for delaying ticks, which makes it really bad near 0 and only better away from 0, but at dome point you really dont get good scale. Overall, this system is not exactly ideal and for speed shoes this is even worse. While S3K tempo system uses an accumulator with 256 possible values, and when an overglow happens (going over 256, therefore resetting to 0), it then delays. This makes the latter system smoother and it has better scale. Its especially great for speed shoes. But, you do have to convert the tempo values from Sonic 1 to Sonic 3 (well technically just different SMPS versions) to get the right effect. In fact, in my tutorial, I have detailed how to do this for music and speed shoes.

NiphFM and ProjectFM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.