S3K/S&KC Random Special Stages

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by MainMemory, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Have you reached the point where you've played S3K so many times, you already know how it's going to go before you even start playing? You've memorized all the Big Ring locations and Special Stage layouts and you know you'll have all the Chaos Emeralds by the end of Hydrocity and all the Super Emeralds just in Mushroom Hill. What if instead of the same old layouts you've played so many times, you got something different? That's where this hack comes in. Every frame of the game (that's 60 times a second), a new Special Stage is selected, based on the code in the Blue Sphere game, so even the smallest variation in your play will get you a completely different set of Special Stages.

What's unique about this hack is, it comes in two flavors: the standard Mega Drive ROM and, for the first time ever, a mod for Sonic & Knuckles Collection on PC! You will need to get the latest version of the S&KC Mod Loader and use the mod manager program to install the loader and activate the mod.

Download MD/Gen ROM: http://mm.reimuhakurei.net/misc/S3KRandomSpecial.zip
    Download S&KC Mod: https://github.com/MainMemory/SKCRandomSpecial/releases

redhotsonic, Niko, rika_chou and 7 others like this.
  2. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Neat I can now say for sure that the Sonic 3 and Knuckles Special Stages will have some challenge to it. As I always get hyper sonic in Mushroom Hill or Flying Battery.

3. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

From one of the easiest Sonic games I ever played, to one of the hardest and funniest things to play. Haha! Seems interesting. I like the idea of having completely random special stages, but I'm curious about a thing. Does this use the exact same methodology Sonic 1 & Knuckles uses to generate the stages? I'm afraid of getting a ultra-easy special stage 1 but a special stage 2 which is near the impossible.

kenny0989 likes this.
  4. MainMemory

It does. Basically every frame increases the Blue Sphere level number by one.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

Does this mean that through frame-perfect inputs, one could play THAT ONE special stage they wish to play?

6. MainMemory

That is generally how things work, yes.

7. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Does the level/frame number get saved into the SRAM? Or does it reset every time you start a new level (or reset the game)?

8. MainMemory

It starts from zero every time you reset the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.