SMPS Converter

Discussion in 'Approved' started by redhotsonic, Dec 6, 2011.

1. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

ValleyBell invented a new program to help members get S3K/S3D songs into Sonic 1 a hell of a lot easier. You can also use this for any hack (like a Sonic 2 hack) that has the Sonic 1 sound driver. Here is his post:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
    Stardust and Clownacy like this.
  2. SSGD

SSGD "I can't believe what cool boots you have on!" Member

I can certainly see usage in this tool for people; epically for the DAC fix addition. (No DAC fix on tracks can cause ear rape kids!)

3. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

Here are all of the original S3&K SMPS songs.

Does anyone know where you could get the Sonic 3D blast music files?

S&K music-1.zip

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
  4. redhotsonic

I just rip it out of the ROM itself. I was thinking of ripping all the songs out of S3D then sharing the .bin files, but haven't got round to it.

5. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Hm, not all songs can be perfectly ported, also not al songs can be ported. Actually one of the good points of it is the missing notes fix. Is there a promising tool, but not completely yet.

6. redhotsonic

It will never be pefect because S1 driver cannot support half the stuff S3K/S3D can do. Using this tool will use different drums and PSG's to make it sound similar. If you port the PSG's and drums to your hack, it will use them instead, sounding so close to the original. I've ported the S3K drums and the PSG's (with a bit of help as music is not my thing), the S3K ports I've done with this tool sounds exactly the same, whereas S3D is almost perfect, you can hardly notice a difference.

7. KCEXE

KCEXE Active Member Member

That would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
  8. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Apart from the missing flags that the S3K SMPS engine supports (and uses occasionally) and the Z80 bit crush being missing, I suppose that would be true.

Nifty tool, as always.

9. ProfessorRenderer

ProfessorRenderer Certified Bear Scientist Member

Just a question, how can I get the Sonic 3 and Knuckles/Sonic 3D music ripped? (not .mp3 files)

10. redhotsonic

You can get all the S3K songs from SonicRetro found here. Use the converter to make them compatible for Sonic 1.

As for Sonic 3D, you will have to rip them from the ROM yourself. To do this, get a Hex editor and the Sonic 3D ROM itself. Then go here for a list of addresses for Sonic 3D. Pick a song you want to rip (for this example, we'll rip the invincibilty).

Invincibility's pointer is 8D55. Use a Hex Calculator for this. Swap the bytes around, and it becomes 558D. Then add it's specific (Invincibilty is D0000) which equals D8D55. Then take 8000 away (do this for all songs) which equals D0D55. Go to this address in the hex editor.

You should see two bytes just before 06 03 01 (it should be 54 90 for this song). Starting with 54 90, select (highlight) the next 1000 lines, copy it, and then paste it in a new hex file. (I do a 1000 lines so that way I won't miss any data for the song)

Go to the top of your new hex file and do a search for 06 03 01. The very first one should be right at the beginning (after the 54 90), find the very next 06 03 01. Wherever the second result is, delete everything after it. Save your new file as invincibility.bin. (I learnt all this thanks to M3K).

Now use the converter to make it compatibile with Sonic 1! I just now ported the invincibility to my hack =P

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2011
  11. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

This time I can do the crosspost by myself: :eek:

12. redhotsonic

About time you joined and posted =P

Also, good work. It's nice to see people can put songs into their S3/S3K hacks a lot easier now. Or even if they have the S3K driver in their hack, this tool will be a bonus for them.

13. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

I know that this is a bump but I have found that Hydrocity act 1 wont convert to Sonic 1, I got the file from the Sonic 3 and Knuckles dissassembley. The program just make a 65 byte file, it works fine for the other files I tested.

14. redhotsonic

I just tried it:

Whenever a song states this, it never works. I've tried with the act clear, and all I got was an empty file. Same with HCZ1.

Funnily enough, the PSG's for both files still play.

15. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

Yes, it doesn't work, if the global instrument set is used. The next update will fix this. (The implementation is 50% done.)

But what it shouldn't do is making tiny (or empty) files. Then the Z80 offset is likely wrong.

btw: It should work, if you simply paste the complete S3K instrument bank at the end of the SMPS file. This way I made a working port of LRZ1.

16. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

So where can I get the S3K instrument bank from?

17. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

You can get it from the Sonic3k rom file. I think the location maybe be on the Sonic Musicing Hacking Guide over at SonicRetro.

18. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Or you could download this which is the Universal Voice Bank in BIN format.

19. RocketRobz

RocketRobz Coolest of TWL, and Sonic fan Member

Sorry for the bump, but someone please fix this link?

20. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

Sorry for the minor bump, but can someone please be so kind as to tell me how I am meant to use this thing?