SMPS/"SOUND-SOURCE" Source Code, Documents, and More

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by ralakimus, Jun 16, 2020.

1. ralakimus

ralakimus pretty much a dead account Member

Courtesy of The Video Game Preservation Society and Hidden Palace, the floppy disks containing source code (68000+Z80 and Z80), documentation, and other thing related to SMPS (officially called "SOUND-SOURCE") was finally dumped and put online. See the article for more information.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Nice, it's only taken over 30 years!! My props to those involved in obtaining these~

Also, the English translation of the manual was intentionally missing this:

[​IMG]

"This is a test register. Not used in user applications."

Hehehe, they knew it was there but was told not to use it~ d;

I say as a potential project, someone should go through and translate all of these pages 1:1 to English, because clearly there's information that's been mistranslated or outright not included in the English versions of the documents.

ProjectFM likes this.
  3. Clownacy

Clownacy Mania bad Staff

Since I'm apparently terrible at letting things go, I figured I'd bump this thread to mention some research I did a while ago, where I found the claim that SMPS's real name is "SOUND-SOURCE" to be pretty questionable.

Being an SMPS guy, this subject annoys me to no end. The main point I'd like to make is to not blindly believe what people tell you, and to do your own research. That said, what I say in my posts isn't undeniable fact either: go download the source code yourself, and come to your own conclusions. Personally I want someone to prove me wrong, because surely the Hidden Palace team had their reasons to make the claim they did, right?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I had a look through many of the files myself, and have found 'SOUND-SORCE', 'SOUND-SOURCE', 'DICK_TRACY', and 'MoDeM BOOT ROM' in the same place in various files, while I think you're right, I really don't think the sound driver has a name beyond generic naming. The entry point routine name is "sound:" and majority of the source files are prefixed with "md" or "m5", and the internals always call it "Sound Something Something", be it "Sound Control Batch File", "Sound Main Control", "SOUND COMMAND CONTROL", "SOUND DATA FILE", etc. Even the manual in Japanese refers to everything in relation to the driver as "Sound", though this could just be a poor translation:

"① Clear WORK RAM for sound

Clear WORK RAM ($ fff000-$ ffdbff) for sound to 0."

It could just be generic naming and the driver has no intended name beyond a quick referencing as "sound".