Sonic 1: Fishsticks

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DeltaWooloo, Oct 22, 2023.

1. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

DeltaWooloo and SuperEgg presents:
    5164.png

Do you like fish sticks? Do you like putting fish sticks in your mouth? Well, keep biting on those fish sticks because you'll need them as you play this incredible masterpiece of a ROM hack.

Sonic 1 Fishsticks is a Sonic 1 ROM hack created by me (DeltaWooloo) and SuperEgg which aims to give you the best Sonic 1 experience possible. Explore South Island as you play one of the best well-structured, well-thought-out level designs. Jump over obstacles, destroy badniks and hey, do you notice a lot of traps everywhere? OK, maybe what I just said was an overstatement.

This ROM hack will test your strength and ability to manoeuvre through the junk you hated in Sonic games/ROM hacks from the overuse of spikes to the iconic and most lovable badniks we all love and remember fondly. There are 7 levels to go through, and 6 emeralds to collect in each level (apart from the final one) which thankfully, you can keep if you die. As I was making this hack, I was a little lazy with the coding side of things and I haven't been bothered to fix the general Sonic 1 bugs. I'm referring to the infamous walk-jump bug and the classic spike feature (it's not a bug, fight me). They've been left intact within your journey which should be a benefit to your journey if you ask me.

Level layouts aside, we even went ahead and made changes to the stinky blue rat himself by giving him a fresh makeover and using the sprites we all think are the definitive classic Sonic sprites out there (alongside having the best jumping sound effect (that being from Sonic CD)). He even has one neat move to go along with it, the spindash, see at least this ROM hack is being generous to you. There are also additional features that I'll let you read in-game. Whether they'll help you or not is something for you to find out. I don't want to spoil the fun. :)

So, are you up to the challenge? Do you think you're really to keep biting those fish sticks down as you explore the wonders of this game? Get your controller out and explore the joy of playing such an aspiring and pleasant ROM hack!

5289.png 5290.png 5296.png

- shield stacking HUD doesn't clear if you lose all of your shields as it'll stay on the number 1
    - there may be graphical glitches here and there (might be fixed in future updates)
    - gaining one shield gives you two extra hits (call it a feature if anything lol)
    - more bugs will be mentioned here as time passes

Project Leaders
    • DeltaWooloo - the megamind who started this masterpiece
    • SuperEgg - the intelligent bastard who collaborated with me to make this possible
    Playtesters
    • SilviaFox
    • Sock Team
    • KC
    • Battons
    • TheJoebro64
    • gold lightning
    Special Thanks
    • SilvaFox - made the idea of a Sonic 1 with dickish level layouts from one of my tweets (without her, this project wouldn't have even been created in the first place)
    • Chron D - port used in SLZ (Cirno's theme from Megamari)
    • CHRdutch - SBZ2's layout
    • Giovanni, Scrap Sorra, DaxKatter, ArcaniaCQ, pixelcat, Inferno, CHRdutch - all of them suggested ideas to make the levels a lot saucier
    External Assets
    • KC - custom S3K-styled Sonic 2 waiting and balancing frames
    • Smoke-The-Pyroling - custom S3K-styled waiting/lying down sprites
    • Sonic3Expanded - custom S3K-styled Sonic 1 ending sprites (sadly they go unused here)
    • ProjectFM - Sonic 3K object and rings manager
    • vladikcomper - MegaPCM, water skimming code and Advanced Error and Debugger
    • ValleyBell - SMPS Converter and SMPS Research Pack
    • Ivan YO - vgm2smps
    • Clownacy - Sonic CD SFX in ASM format
    • Cinossu/flamewing - SMPS2ASM
    • flamewing - UltraDMAQueue and Kosinski+
    • Filter - Knuckles Chaotix Nemesis decompression and sound driver optimizations
    • SCHG/SonicRetro/SSRG - general Sonic 1 bug fixes/optimizations
    • devon - Sonic CD Spindash port
    • Naoto - extended camera port

DOWNLOAD THE ROM HERE!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2023
  2. DeltaWooloo

We won so much this year - thank you for your votes. Here are all the trophies I earned.

joever.gif

I didn't win anything and now Kanye West is up my ass. Thanks a bunch! :oops:

Because everyone loved the first one, I'm making Sonic 2 Fishsticks. It'll feature double (maybe triple) the length of epicness. If I can release it next year, it'll be poggers and could wipe Blue Potato the McDonald's off the shelves. (btw, if this post gets more than 8 likes, I'll definitely add Blue Potato to S2 Fishsticks. I ain't kidding when I say that, it's fr :D)

3. Nik Pi

Nik Pi Well-Known Member Member

Do not mention it. It was difficult, but we did it :)

No S2, do SCD Fish sticks

4. DeltaWooloo

What are you trying to say? To me, your post isn't making any sense. If you don't have anything meaningful to say, then don't post it in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023