Sonic 1 On Speed

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Inferno, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Inferno

Inferno Rom Hacker Member

Has Sonic 1 ever been too slow for you? Have you felt like the levels are too much of a drag, been forced to platform instead of using your momentum to go all over the place? Well, have I got the new technology for you! Using the power of Blast Processing™ and the boundless energy rings provide, you can now speed up your gameplay of Sonic 1 drastically by simply collecting rings! Gone are the days of having to slowly climb up hills, hop across blocks, and more. You will enjoy an entirely altered experience by the end of playing through this small yet life-changing hack!

Just be ready to be in this for the long haul, because you won't want to stop. Also, not sure how I COULD show a screenshot of the hack, since the change is not visual in any way, but I suppose take a random picture of gameplay:
    [​IMG]

Obviously, if you can't tell, this is a joke hack partly made to tide people over until S1D returns for this year's Sonic Hacking Contest, but the reason I made this in a hour is interesting.

I was in a voice chat with a few other friends, one of whom is Giovanni, who was testing Endless Rush in Sonic 2 Score Rush, which has random level order. As a result, my mind wound up jumping to the RDRAND x86 ASM instruction, which reads the entropy of the CPU itself. This instruction takes 1.2k cycles to compute in the best case scenario. I wondered how much this would impact the game if it was ran every frame (surprisingly, not very much), and then experimented with it by increasing the amount of loops for the small little function I wrote for the joke. It made 34 seconds in-game take almost 9 minutes of real life time. I then suddenly had the idea of tying the number of loops to your ring count. As such, this was born, and now it's a build flag in S1D, LOL

Attached Files:

2. JGamer2151

JGamer2151 Well-Known Member/Lurker Member

This is starting to feel like an OMG THE RED RINGS-like hack...

For context, it's basically what it feels like to me, having a negative effect when collecting rings.

Basically, instead of dying like in OMG THE RED RINGS, you immediately start to slow down.

I've even abused this feature in debug/edit mode. Collecting rings that way only goes so far.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  3. JGamer2151

Oops, I posted way too much because my internet connection was bad. Trash this post. Please.

4. JGamer2151

Oops, I posted way too much because my internet connection was bad. Trash this post. Please.

5. JGamer2151