Sonic 2 Encore Release

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by maple_t, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. maple_t

maple_t Exists Member

TITLE:
    Sonic 2 Encore

DESCRIPTION:
    The goal of this hack is to give Sonic 2 a new level of replayability, as such, what I've changed from the base game is the palettes in each zone, modified most layouts to add new paths and fix any oversights found in the original game, modified most of the monitors to contain different stuff, added SK style ducking and Sonic CD style roll jump behavior, and fixed pretty much all of the bugs that are covered in guides.
    I started this project last month because I was playing Sonic 2 so much that I wanted an improved experience, so this is the outcome.

Credits:
    Guide Bug Fixes and Design Choice Changes:
    Demo Playback Fix and PLC Race Condition Fix: FraGag
    Super Sonic Bug Fixes, Roll Jump Height Fix, Jump Height Bug Fix When Leaving Water, Tails Camera Y Position Fix, OOZ Launcher Speed Up Glitch Fix, ARZ Boss Air Walk Glitch Fix, and Collide With Water After Being Hurt: MoDule
    DEZ Eggrobo Boss Collision Fix, Screen Boundary Spindash Fix, and HTZ BG Scrolling Mountains Fix: Flamewing
    Drowning Bug Fixes, Tails Sub-Animation Fix, Tails Respawn Speed Fix, Accidental Deletion of Scattered Rings Fix, Ring Timers Fix, Rexon Crash Fix, Monitor Collision Bug Fix, Multiple CNZ Boss Bug Fixes, ARZ Boss Sprite Behavior Fix, Scattered Rings Underwater Physics, and ObjectMove subroutines improvement: redhotsonic
    EHZ Deformation Bug Fix: qiuu
    Many Boss Bug Fixes: redhotsonic, Esrael, and MoDule
    Debug Mode Crash Bug Fix: Shadow05
    Level Select Fixes and Improved Debug Mode: ADudeCalledLeo

Programs:
    SonLVL: MainMemory
    Flex 2: snkenjoi

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ROM Download:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/ufl35t0iftltcg0/Sonic_2_Encore.bin/file

Oh yeah, I changed the cheats
    Level Select: 6, B, 4, 5
    Continues: 2, E, 7, 9
    Debug Mode: 20, 19, 8, 1
    Super Sonic: 20, 21, 10, 23

2. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Good initiative, but the Encore Mode in Sonic Mania also modify enemy positions, certain level behaviors and it also changes the level layouts a bit. Your hack isn't doing it yet. Although I like the changed palettes and most of the item modifications in fact changed a bit of the gameplay experience, but not too much. If I was you, I'd attempt to these other details for a next version of the hack. I know you can do more than this. It's a interesting work, though.

3. Jdpense

Jdpense Custom Title Member

I'm liking the encore palettes, although as EMK-20218 stated, I didn't notice a whole lot of layout changes aside from a few and couple of extra pathways. I would also like to state that Mania's Encore Mode also had some gameplay changes as well, such as the removal of the lives system and the tag team gimmick. While I like the addition of being able to change direction while jumping from an angle/spindash in midair, but I think you could still add some sort of addition gameplay changes like new monitor powerups or how bosses handle for instance. It's still nice start, and I'm interested to see more from this project.

4. maple_t

maple_t Exists Member

Hello, this is the next release of the hack which was originally used for SHC2019 (which the entry for had vanished...but I don't question it because of the nature of the hack).
    So basically, palettes were modified slightly, the level select zone icons match the new zone palettes better (but not completely!), and many minor layout changes and minor art changes. The tiitle screen logo, and end of credits logo add "Encore" to be more consistent with the title of the hack while the title card just adds a 2. The threshold for the slow duck was made slightly smaller, and a fix with monitors was implemented from a guide.
    Graphics in the special stage will sometimes appear incorrectly, this is likely because I tried to apply a change to the DPLC format of the special stage character art and failed somehow.
    The shield art appears incorrect in 2P mode because of the new frame of animation causing me to reuse tiles weirdly.
    While this may not be a bug, when you exit debug mode you appear as a ball and potentially break any monitors/badniks you place for fun.

To be honest, I believe this will be the last full update as I would like to do work on other things, so let me know if any of the new changes are good and whatnot. In the future I may consider fixing existing bugs, but programming isn't exactly my expertise...

EDIT: Fixed an issue in Metropolis Zone act 1 where a button near the end of the zone would be impossible to press, thus halting progression. Also, found an inconsistency in Emerald Hill Zone act 2 where a waterfall sprite wouldn't align with the waterfall chunks, this will be fixed in a later build.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    ProjectFM and DeltaWooloo like this.
  5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

So, I cannot progress passed Metropolis Zone Act 1 due to this issue:
    [​IMG]
    I cannot trigger this switch to continue on, and so I'm stuck here.

Apart from that, I actually enjoyed this for the most part. The changes were interesting, although there's still potential to add more (Hill Top Zone Act 1 screams for a lower path, for example), and the art changes were nice enough. I did not like Metropolis Zone's garish red in the background, though. Started to hurt my eyes very quickly.

maple_t and ProjectFM like this.
  6. maple_t

maple_t Exists Member

Alright, thanks for letting me know about this. I actually found the button issue very quickly after uploaded it and promptly forgot about it, so I'll replace the current download with this newer fix. However, it seems a video of it was uploaded by Razor (or whoever grabs the hacks for recording a video of), so that'll have to be worked out...somehow.