Sonic 2 - Text Code Generator

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by Selbi, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

If you read the title, you can guess that I kinda pissed off right now, for a good reason: The title card system is pure pain in the ass.

You need to tell the game how many and which letters you load and then do mappings, which are using VRAM offsets to those letters. That wouldn't have been such a big problem though. The problem was the letters I, M and W, as they have a different size from the other letters (I=2, M and W=6, anything else 4), meaning I was pretty much fucked and had to rewrite a lot of code, when it already was working fine for any other letter.

But anyway, presenting you the Sonic 2 - Text Code Generator, a program I finally did, after months of the release of the Sonic 1 - Text Code Generator. The actual programming of this took 4 days, even though day 2 and 3 I didn't really do anything but a few artistic things.

But enough of the moaning, here's the program itself:

[​IMG]

The usage is very simple, however, you will have to read the Setup Guide first, which contains a disassembly like file, that uses the code and is damn hard optimized to work with this program.

Oh yeah, the output of the picture above looks like this in-game (thanks to Spanner):

[​IMG]

Download (v3.0 - 2013 Hg update)

Please report any problems, bugs, suggestions, etc. =)

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  2. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

It looks pretty cool! Gonna put it in your sig?

3. Selbi

Small fix (v1.0.1)

Due to data shift the level result screens are messed up. I had to seperate the Setup Code from the Mappings.

Thanks to Irixion for reporting.

4. theocas

theocas #! Member

Wow, this really is awesome! Hopefully you will add support for other Texts like the intro screen and the Credits, right?

5. Selbi

I planned it, yes, but be sure I will not be doing the Level Select Text, as it works with plane mappings, and is therefore best for PlaneED.

6. theocas

theocas #! Member

A thing that would be cool is a button that simply opens up PlaneEd with the Level Select Mappings automatically. Maybe you can even include PlaneEd as part of this app, but I think you ought to check with the creator(s) of PlaneEd first.

7. SamplingMastersNix

SamplingMastersNix 64-bit Sonic Hacking Novice Member

Hotshare link, please?

8. Selbi

9. MAXXX309

MAXXX309 Newcomer Exiled

That's going to be really helpful, thank you very much! Also, I want you to provide "SONIC GOT THROUGH" text editing next time. B)

10. Selbi

Due to continues request by a very certain Tech Member, I've actually decided to give my tool a little update after almost three years.

Sonic 2 - Text Code Generator (v3.0)

Not much has changed and those who use Xenowhirl's 2007 disassembly will probably not feel any difference at all. That's because the biggest part of this update is about adding support for the modern Hg Disassembly in Retro's Mercurial. I personally don't like that version very much, but then again, I'm not a Sonic 2 hacker and I don't want to put certain people at a disadvantage just because of my personal preferences.

What else to say? Some GUIs have been redesigned (especially when it comes to the setup tutorials) and the project files received a few improvements (mostly converting all the byte arrays to words). Listing everything would be pointless gibberish for most of you, so I'll just leave it at that.

Have fun making interesting zone names. I guess.

Special thanks to MainMemory!

11. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Fixed that for you.

12. Smellycupcakes

Smellycupcakes Newcomer In Limbo

thanks man now i can do my hack without any problems

ill also need helpers to make this hack possible it will almost like robotnik's revenge except its only sonic 2 and 3 bosses(final bosses not included) ill make a post about this hack after i am fully ready to make it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.