Sonic 2 Time Adventure

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by HenryD3bby, Jan 31, 2024.

1. HenryD3bby

HenryD3bby Newcomer Member

Hello! This is Sonic 2 Time Adventure, a romhack Ive been developing with some awesome people for a while. Sonic 2 Time Adventure is a romhack that aims to make a complete version of the Simon Wai Prototype of Sonic 2, so to complete the intended Sonic 2 experience, while being as loyal as possible to the content from the various prototypes. This Public Beta includes the levels from the present time except Ocean Wind.

NOTE: This is a Public Beta, so some stuff is very glitchy, but soon to be fixed. Dont worry. Also, Quicksand in Sand Shower doesnt work, sorry about that... :/

TEAM CHAOS 2024
    HACK LEAD: HenryD3bby
    PROGRAMMING: Toilet Man
    Weneer
    HenryD3bby
    SOUND:
    HenryD3bby
    Weneer
    BETA TESTERS:
    SSZ Cat
    Xavier Kemplin
    Brandweer09
    sunshine123
    sanchiboy
    thehydro1
    GRAPHICS:
    HenryD3bby
    Ultrared (Free to Use graphics)
    E-122PSI (Free to Use graphics)
    LAYOUTS:
    SSZ Cat
    HenryD3bby
    Brandweer09
    SPECIAL THANKS: Toilet Man Diddly Donald Xavier Kemplin SSZ Cat Legobrickster Thehydro1

upload_2024-1-31_21-8-29.png
    upload_2024-1-31_21-9-17.png upload_2024-1-31_21-10-31.png upload_2024-1-31_21-11-55.png upload_2024-1-31_21-13-14.png

Attached Files:

Nieveria, Hame and Nik Pi like this.
  2. soupnuts6061

soupnuts6061 Newcomer Trialist

as someone who's played this before this public build, this hack is pretty promising, i just hope it doesnt get cancelled too soon

3. HenryD3bby

Thanks for your feedback

4. HenryD3bby

Quick Announcement. There have been some bugfixes, like Sonic and Tails' VRAM, and the checkpoints. We're currently working on the future time, and improving the already existing stuff. Here's some screenshots for Ocean Wind and Cyber City. We're getting as accurate as possible with Cyber City, with it quite literally using the level layouts found in the Tom Payne disks, and the original palette found there too.

s2TA001.png s2TA002.png

Hame and Dark Shamil Khan like this.
  5. Nieveria

Nieveria Newcomer Trialist

I love the idea, but there's a few snags that I'd really love to see fixed.
    In Wood Zone act 1, there is a collision error making it impossible to progress if you fall onto the bottom route that has a springboard, monitor containing speed shoes, and a backwards C-shaped runway that, try as I might to spindash up it, Sonic simply phases through in the middle section and falls to his doom.
    upload_2024-2-13_22-44-8.png
    upload_2024-2-13_22-44-36.png
    upload_2024-2-13_22-45-3.png
    Speaking of Wood Zone, act 2 feels like it gives the player little to no direction. A good example is this part of the level, where Sonic grabs onto a pulley that lifts him to a platform with two sets of spikes and a yellow spring. The yellow spring can only possibly bring you to the building that you, the player...have just left.
    upload_2024-2-13_22-52-44.png
    upload_2024-2-13_22-52-48.png
    The level design in act 2 feels a bit too messy and aimless, which I find to be entirely fair as this is a beta. The only thing more I'll say about it is that this Robotnik Monitor (already broken) is a little cheap since it's practically impossible to jump over and makes this small top path basically useless compared to the path just below it
    upload_2024-2-13_22-55-30.png
    I couldn't really play too far past this point because of the lack of checkpoints so far (well, that and the fact that, at least on Blastem as I've not tested on Gens+GS or Fusion, the game crashes on Game Over), which I assume is just due to it being an early version of the hack. Still it makes progression feel a bit sluggish for the purposes of the beta.
    I want to stress that I do see a lot of potential in this hack and would love to see its issues fixed, and I fully acknowledge that it is, in fact, in an early state of development and nothing is perfect as soon as it is created, I just hope to share a bit of a personal experience with the hack as far as I was able to play. From the screenshots of Ocean Wind Zone and Cyber City Zone I can tell that you're putting a lot of hard work into this hack, and I wish you well on your journey with it.

HenryD3bby likes this.
  6. HenryD3bby

I will fix these issues right away, thanks for the feedback!

Nieveria likes this.
  7. Rorryx

Rorryx Newcomer Trialist

Love the teaser for Ocean Wind and Cyber City. Speaking of fixing, I hope you touch up Sand Shower Zone as well. Especially the part at the end of Act 1 is frustrating.

I also came across a few graphical glitches while using the Fusion Emulator. The first one occurs when you get a Game Over and continue the game.

[​IMG]

8. HenryD3bby

Will fix, and replace, thx for reporting =P

Rorryx likes this.