Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Battle Race

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by MarkeyJester, Nov 10, 2018.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

[​IMG]
    Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

Some years ago, ColinC10 released a wonderful hack called Sonic 2 - Battle Race and while me and Natsumi were playing it, we couldn't help notice the series of bugs and problems with the hack. Now, this is by no means an indictment on Colin, as programmers ourselves we understood that the hack was not built to be flawless and if anything was merely a proof of concept, and probably made for just a bit of fun. We are sure that if he had continued it, he would most definitely have made it flawless.

Regardless, we wanted a version of the hack that was fixed, with improved routing and winning direction detection, and perhaps some minor things added here or there, so one day Natsumi said:

[​IMG]

...and so it began.

We carefully plotted out how we would handle such a thing, looked at the good things and bad, and Colin's hack supplied us the perfect insight and lessons learned to clean it up. We came up with a box system, and it seems to work pretty well, not perfectly, but pretty well. Of course, there were a heap of bugs to fix with the original Sonic 3 title, these took quite a lot of time to hunt down and fix, and because of the time it took, we ended up adding more to this hack than we had originally planned and even now we still have more we want to add. Likewise, bugs will no doubt still be present, though, compared to the bugs that were in place originally which Natsumi has spent countless hours hunting and fixing, it's not too shabby if you ask me.

We did have plans for some extra game modes, gimmicks, options/museum, and a brand new level, and a slew of other things, but these will have to wait until the next release which we hope will be sometime early next year. We are actually getting a little fed-up of working on the project as it is taking up time we really don't have, so I doubt a few months will turn into a year (even though I have been wrong before).

Anyway, if you are not familiar with ColinC10's Sonic 2 - Battle Race, then we suggest you head over to SonicRetro's wiki page, download it, and give it a play yourself first, don't worry, our version can wait, we simply cannot thank Colin enough as our hack would simply not exist if his didn't.

For a download link, credits and more info, please see Natsumi's post below mine:

Angel X, Monitor, Jdpense and 8 others like this.
  2. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

Credits:
    • redhotsonic: Bounce Technology™ (from Sonic Bash) and testing the hack.
    • FoxConED: Helping create the music for this hack.
    • Vladicomper, Ozaleto, qiuu, djohe, LazloPsylus, Clownacy, VAdaPEGA, & Jorge: Testing the hack.
    • MainMemory & Neo: For their amazing work to make Sonic 3 & Knuckles easily editable. It has and will help us and many more for years to come.
    • Cinossu & flamewing: Few inspirational ideas we've "borrowed" (without asking of course d=) so to speak.

A few notes about the hack:
    • This hack is a 2-player only hack. This does mean, that you must play with your friends.
    • KEGA Fusion is recommended if you wish to play with someone over the internet. There are probably other emulators that can do it as well.
    • This hack does not work on Gens, or any Gens-derivative emulators. Unfortunately, we were not able to work around these limitations, and you should use another emulator, or real hardware.
    • This hack is going to see updates in the future. As it is not complete, there will be missing features and there may be some unforseen bugs. Please be patient while we create the final version.

DOWNLOAD ON THE WEBPAGE
    (mirror)

If you find any bugs, please report to my PM's or Discord~

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  3. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

While I currently don't really have anyone to play with right now, I must say, this is a really sexy looking hack with all its awesome effects for the menus and stuff and the gameplay does indeed look like fun.

Now to look for someone to play with...

NiphFM likes this.
  4. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

If people are looking for partners they can always drop a message in the SSRG Discord / IRC and see who's interested. I'm sure there will be many who will be looking for someone.

AURORA☆FIELDS likes this.
  5. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

Very promising and talented, despite is a WIP hack, have got a great potential, I like the Splash Screens, menus and animations.
    The game it's funny and impressive. I will search another friend for play this, really both have got a good reputation with this project.
    I love the musics and especially the Street of Rage music port, good job and I hope than this project will continue and, I'm sure someone will join with this ambitious project.

6. FохConED

FохConED Join to Digital Resistance! Member

I am very glad that I was able to invest my part in your project! Hack was very interesting and fun. I managed to play this hack with a large company of 10 people on a pirated Sega Mega Drive (by the way, everything works stably on it, we alternated between each other). Although I managed to find a few shortcomings and bugs, but they almost did not spoil the gameplay experience. Hope to see the final version soon!

NiphFM likes this.
  7. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

This is incredible. I love how this community has found new ways to change up one of my all time favorite games.

The website and amount of detail and polish put into it is incredible. While it seemed too extravagant at first, I completely understand why all the effort was put in, as it shows off how different it is to be able to play through the whole campaign with two characters. I spend every weekend playing games with my little brother, so it is disappointing that, out of all the 2D Sonic games, Sonic Mania is the only one to have a worthwhile multiplayer mode. Even then, plenty of levels are missing from that version and I would prefer a campaign mode. Anyway, I'm very excited to try this out with him when I get the chance.

Though seriously, by the amount of effort put into the menus, you'd expect this to be an entirely new game, and the effects are outstanding. I'm deeply interested in seeing how stuff like the rotation of the logo and transition effects are pulled off.

Edit: The mini game is cool, too.

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Thank you very much, that is ever so kind of you to say!

We were worried about over-hyping the hack and didn't intend to create a site, we know the hack is just S3K but shined up and doesn't really merit a site.

We had concerns the menus and mini-games were too complicated, so the site was made for a manual, but I guess we went slightly overboard ^-^

9. Razor

Razor Active Member Member

This hack was hell of a fun. Hope to see the full version someday.

10. Nick46

Nick46 Resident Moron Member

I will most certainly be trying this out when I find the time to do so, and the people to play it with.

11. Super Electric

Super Electric Newcomer In Limbo

Should've been Sonic 3's Competition, but of course, Sega was like IT'S THE BIGGEST GENESIS GAME EVER!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Trickster likes this.
  12. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Please stop bumping old threads. There has not been an update in this thread for nearly a year.

Clownacy, AkumaYin and kenny0989 like this.