Sonic The Hedgehog: The Secret Island

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Trickle, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Trickle

Trickle Newcomer Member

I started working on this back in 2017. It's my first hack ever. But I went on a hiatus for a while, got preoccupied with finishing my degree and other personal endeavors. In the wake of current events, I find myself with some extra spare time, and after playing on my Mega Everdrive earlier, I stumbled upon a build of my hack.

My goal is just to make a solid hack that will feature all original music, some custom artwork, and fun level design. I'd like to have two or three zones done by the end of Summer. Island Breeze is near completion and one special stage is done.

Music:

Main Theme (WIP)

Island Breeze Zone

Unnamed Second Zone (WIP)

Invincibility (WIP)

Speed Shoes (WIP)

While these were for a game I was working on outside of hacking, I think they may possibly fit. They are currently using a bunch of different Genesis SoundFonts.

Possible Boss Theme

I'd like to use this one too, but it may sound a bit too Megamanish.

The Rooftops

Island Breeze Zone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue checker boxes and top of the post are actually flashing.

Unnamed Second Zone:

[​IMG]

Unnamed Third one:

[​IMG]

Special Stage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. penPhobic

penPhobic Everything's all topsy-turvy now. Member

Where's the download link? I can't criticize your hack without a link. If it's the "Progress" thread, I can understand, but I don't see the word "Progress" in your thread. I just wanted to play your hack. That's all I wanted.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  3. Trickle

Trickle Newcomer Member

There isn't much to play at the moment, I just wanted to show off the presentation, music, and early art style in the meantime. I do intend on submitting a demo with the first zone finished soon :)

4. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I really enjoy your music. Do you have a Soundcloud or Bandcamp? Are the songs that you wrote for the hack in the game currently?

Trickle likes this.
  5. Trickle

Trickle Newcomer Member

Thank you! Yes, the first five I listed were dumped from the level select menu. It was so cool to hear the stuff I composed in a Sonic game for the first time on real hardware haha. I'm also involved in a Goldeneye 007 hack. It's called The Spy Who Loved Me and we plan to release a three-level public demo. I'm the main composer on the team and made a multiplayer level.

https://youtu.be/9LUIBV2DjOc?t=4202

This is an old showcase, but you get to hear the main menu theme and the first two levels.

I do have a personal SoundCloud and a Bandcamp for a band I am in. There isn't too much of my video game stuff on there, but I could post more Splatterblade songs and share it. That's a platformer I was building in Unity, where the last two songs you heard are from in the main post :)

I'm a fan of the stuff you have done for the community, along with ValleyBell!

Angel X and ProjectFM like this.
  6. PokeTogeKiss

PokeTogeKiss That one plonker who draws green hedgehogs. Member

It looks great! I see that those years have gone to good use. I like the music - it has a pop feel to it, but a good one. The art looks great - a lot better than I can do, that's for darn sure! I'm looking forward to a possible release!

7. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

From the first few pictures, your artwork is very good!
    However there is a particular:
    1.jpg

This blue color clashes a little, you could put another brown color.
    For the rest,excellent work to be your first hack!

its boomer and ProjectFM like this.
  8. Akogiri

Akogiri Newcomer Trialist

I like that a lot. A problem, though, is that Sonic's portrait in the title doesn't match his sprite as well as the "Secret Island" font looking kind of cheap.