Super Sonic Odyssey Demo

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Pacca, Jan 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I decided that it would be fun to add the Cappy capture mechanic from Mario Odyssey in Sonic 2. Then this happened:

Only EHZ is supported, the game cuts to the Sega Screen after act 2.

Controls:

A: Capture nearby enemies/leave an enemy and become Sonic again

Coconuts:
    Up/Down: Move up and down tree
    B/C: Throw Coconuts

Masher (fish Badnik):
    Left/Right: Move left and right, jumps up and down automatically
    Controlled mashers will break when hitting the ground!

Buzzer:
    Left/Right: Move left or right
    Up/Down: Go up or down (only while moving side to side, also rises very slowly)
    B: Dash (makes you move faster, but you can't shoot while dashing)
    C: Shoot projectiles

Emerings:

These are something of a call back to the purple coins in Mario Odyssey. They're red, have a unique sound effect, and grant two rings instead of 1. There are 100 to collect in both acts, but they don't do anything other then being counted on the HUD. Can you find all 100? There are many that require usage of the capture mechanic.

Known Issues:

Buzzers can phase through walls:
    This is actually intentional. All you can really do with this ability is find secrets or get yourself killed, anyways :p

2 Player doesn't work:
    Some necessary changes broke artwork in 2 player. You can actually see some of the consequences of this in the title screen demo. Thus, I removed 2 player mode.

Tails can't capture stuff/Tails' artwork is overwritten sometimes:
    I disabled him by default, in part because of those problems. I left him as an option though, just in case someone wants to mess around in Coop.

Cheats don't work:
    I disabled them ;)

You can't get hurt while controlling an enemy:
    This is also sort of intentional... I figured it'd be more fun to have more freedom while capturing enemies, so I didn't implement this.
    It's been awhile since I worked on this, so there may be some issues that slipped under the radar.

There's a mostly finished port of GHZ in here, along with far more unfinished ports of all of Sonic 1. The can be accessed with the cheat FFFFE10:XXYY, where XX is a value between $10 and $1E, and YY is 00 or 01 (act number). Hidden Palace has also been restored, and can be accessed with the cheat FFFFE10:0800. I only mention all this because both GHZ and HPZ have some really buggy, unfinished Odyssey code that someone will probably find funny.

DOWNLOAD

Credits:
    Natsumi for some playtesting
    Clownacy for the Sound driver (which I fully admit I haven't used to it's fullest potential yet)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Now *this* is probably one of the most interesting things you've done. There's a lot of possibilities on where you can take this. Pick it back up, and see where the creativity can take you with it.

3. TruffledToad

TruffledToad Mushroom says, mushroom does. Member

Jesus christ, Super Mario 64, Mario World, and now Sonic 2! What's next, Mega Man 4?
    Might as well add Omochao guest starring as Talkatoo while you're at it!

(In all seriousness it's a neat idea, but it needs a bit of polish. There doesn't seem to be much reason to use the cap aside from novelty. Maybe with the right level design and enemy usage, we could have something that could stand up as one of the best of the year for SSRG.)

4. Pacca

5. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

I recall someone implementing this same mechanic into Sonic 1 but I'm not quite sure who or when they did it. All I remember was it was on Sonic Retro a long while back.

What you have so far is pretty cool though the red rings look a bit odd. Also I know they give you 2 rings at once but an idea I just had was what if they functioned like they did in Super Mario 64/Sunshine, where you have to collect 8 of them in order to complete the level? You could use the badniks to access certain areas you otherwise couldn't get access to.

Edit: I feel the red rings would look better like this, you don't have to use these but I'm offering them to you as I feel you might want them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  6. Pacca

I've never heard of anything like this being done before. That doesn't really surprise me, though, given that I can't even participate on Sonic Retro...

The red rings are actually just a palette swap. I never really intended to get too in depth with this, so I just left it at that, despite the fact that Sonic 2s' ring art uses an extra color that in Emerald Hill is a bright blue. I might give them custom art if I get back to this though. That collect 8 rings idea is great though; I might add a third type of ring or a custom gamemode off that idea, if I get back to this. It might be awhile before that happens though, I'm caught up in another project right now. I appreciate the feedback, though ;)

7. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

You know, this is so interesting that I'm almost tempted to come back from my hacking hiatus and convert "Jump Up, Super Star" to SMPS for your title screen. In fact, I hoped to attach it to this very post, but the only MIDI I could find had like 4237 channels and my laziness won :U

8. Roxurface

Roxurface Well-Known Member Member

This is SO DANG COOL! You've come quite a long way while I've been gone learning "actual" code that has so far been useless. :p

AkumaYin and Pacca like this.
  9. Pacca

As a celebration for my YouTube channel hitting 2000 subscribers, I've released the unfinished Sonic Odyssey beta that's been floating around my computer.

Keep in mind that all the new features are extremely unfinished. I haven't touched the code in ages, and don't plan too, so while I appreciate any feedback, it might not amount to anything in the near future.

Download

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Unused Account and ProjectFM like this.
  10. Pacca

I recently remembered something about the beta that I forgot to mention in the video:
    [​IMG]

So I guess this is also "Buzzer in Sonic 2" :p

11. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

I ended up thinking of a few silly concepts after playing this hack. I'm not sure if you're still going to work on this, but if you are feel free to steal any of these ideas.

super sonic odyssey.png

ProjectFM likes this.