Ultrawide support for Sonic Generations

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by HyperPolygon64, Oct 25, 2018.

1. HyperPolygon64

HyperPolygon64 Newcomer Trialist

I'm surprised I haven't found anything online yet discussing this topic. With 21:9 monitors and ultrawide configurations becoming more of a thing now, some games just flat out don't support it. Sonic Generations in particular will run fine using Flawless Widescreen, but the HUD will be stretched (and the loading screen will stay on-screen with the patch enabled to fix the stretching).

T̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶,̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶c̶u̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶b̶j̶e̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶e̶r̶a̶'̶s̶ ̶v̶i̶e̶w̶p̶o̶r̶t̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶o̶n̶-̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶d̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶. EDIT: I have figured out a way to disable culling and will be creating a mod for players with ultrawide setups, this doesn't fix the stretched HUD and the loading screen being stuck on-screen, however, so it doesn't elminate the main purpose of this thread.

Here's a few examples of Sonic Generations struggling with a resolution of 4320x900 (24:5 aspect ratio).

Flawless Widescreen: Aspect Fix and Movies Fix Enabled.
    [​IMG]
    I've used Rithik58's HUD removal mod to disable the HUD in this screenshot.

Flawless Widescreen: Aspect Fix Enabled, HUD Fix Disabled and Movies Fix Enabled.
    [​IMG]

Flawless Widescreen: Aspect Fix, HUD Fix and Movies Fix Enabled.
    [​IMG]

Notice how some geometry to the left and right of Sonic is missing, this being the main issue of running the game on an ultrawide resolution (to be precise, I'm using three monitors with NVIDIA Surround).

I'm just curious to see if anyone has actually been able to disable this feature, unless it's hard-coded which would be unfortunate.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018