UnFair Sonic One (sonic hack)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Joshwoakes, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

So anyway, as you can tell by the title of the hack the main idea is that it is designed to frustrate and annoy you, so yeah not much to say there. 

So if your wondering why i decided to make a sonic hack like this and what made think of this kind of idea well  i have seen some unfairtrolling sonic fan games and modshacks (mainly sonic generations mods that are unfair) and i decided to base some parts of this idea on them and if your wondering yes this kind of a mini hack for its current state but when future builds come it will be more than a mini hack 

Things you will notice: (hidden in spoiler)

(spoiler alert)

Gimmicks:

• When you try to hit an enemy it will instantly kill you no matter what.
    • Hitting a Monitor will reset the level
    Changes:

• Editedremixed music
    • Changed title cards
    • Edited level layout
    • Edited special stage rotational speeds (Noticeable at some points)
    Features

• Selection screen: allows to select weather you want to start with collecting all 6 chaos emeralds or to jump straight to normal levels
    Sorry There are no screenshots or  gameplay videos i don't want to spoil it to much but posting your own screenshots and gameplay videos is optional. Also I highly recommend you use save states when playing this hack and if your up for a challenge then try to beat this hack without being hit (speed running is also optional) . 

Current Build Download: 

Version 1.09 First pubic release (beta 1) (green hill zone acts 1 and 2 only)

Download Here

(Note: you will get a black screen for a few seconds before title screen comes up)

please tell me what you think of this hack (please don't rage at me when doing so)  and if you have any suggestions on how i could make this hack even harder or if you find a bug please let me know.

Credits:

Thanks to KosmoF for helping me with bug testing before this official release

Unfair Sonic One Logo (1) (hidden in spoiler)

[​IMG]

2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Okay, I'll give it that, it was actually somewhat enjoyable. Granted, it took like two minutes before I started using save states, but it was still fun to see where you tried to piss into the player's shoes and finding the way through the acts Kaizo Mario-style.

It was a little rough around the edges though. Of course it was meant to be like that, but I don't really like random cut-off chunks and floating objects, no matter the circumstances.

Props on actually trying to be original though! I expected a ten-minute hack, but this actually feels like a first well done effort!

3. KosmoF

KosmoF Masochistic epileptic FEMALE gamer! Member

Thanks for the credits spoiler :dancing:

Side note: Sincere apologies for the above remark showing up as a double post (#4); my internet's crapping out and I've been needing to perpetually press on confirmation buttons in an attempt to post ANYTHING, no matter what website I've been visiting lately.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  4. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

What we have here is a puzzle a la Sonic 1. I did get frustrated at first but then I was Like "A Puzzle?" so then quickly calming down I was like "What am I to do & what am I Not to do?" However that switch at that platform for it to move upward to death, at first I figured that was the way seeing I glitched through it & walked on an invisible floor, seen the second route & needless to say it became a KRABBY situation (they are as far as I went without save states, I play some hacks save stateless) Well done. I look forward to seeing this finished, kinda has me wondering on Labyrinth's puzzles.

5. Joshwoakes

@selbi and warr1o2: thanks for the feedback. 

6. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Ok I must even admit that this was pretty fun and challenging to play (took me about 20 tries within almost 40 minutes to beat actually). As simple as this hack is and seeing as you have more to do, it's a pretty good start.

Just a bit of a warning to everyone else who may come around into playing this, but whatever you do, Don't... I repeat... Don't jump on any red springs if you know what's good for ya. just putting that out there as a little hint for everyone.

7. Joshwoakes

thanks for the feed back. 

Also a response to the spoiler:

There some red springs you can trust and some you can't. thats all going tell you. as i don't want to give too much away.

8. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

This was quite fun indeed, it left me with a smile :3 I especially enjoy the waiting animation, its nice to see how much thought went into this. Can't wait to see Razor get his way through this one!

P.S. Reminds me of Pantufa the cat, but believe it or not, I like this better!

9. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

As Selbi said, enjoyable finally having a kaizo-esque hack, if a bit rough around the edges. I would love to see those edges neatened up, however, as this could be really good.

There's a couple of things I don't agree should be used here, or if they are should be implemented slightly differently, in my opinion. The tiles that you just pass through I feel should either have the slightest of tells, or disappear as soon as you touch them so you know you're screwed, similar to how the invisible blocks just appear out of nowhere to taunt you. Similarly, the invisible crushing/hurt sections should have some visible appearance when you die, again as a taunt. I know this then gives away the entire section, mayhaps some form of selective visibility for only the small area?

Either way, 'twas enjoyable indeed.

10. Joshwoakes

Once again. thanks for the feedback. 

i will post only major updates on this hack every now and then, same with new releases of this hack when they are ready.

11. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

I just played this hack, and it was HARD.

As hard like Sonic Erazor (This hack was fun.)

But i like it, and it's a great challenge for Hardcore Players.

12. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

It may just be me because I only just downloaded Regen due to recommendations from someone, and upon falling in the first invisible pit it cleanly fades to literally, a blue screen with an error on it?

Is it just me getting this, or is anyone having troubles too? Also, I tested it on Fusion to make sure it wasn't on purpose and it worked fine. Here's a screenshot of the Error.

[​IMG]

Also, on an extra note, the x in exception seems to be missing. Nothing important.

Edit: Sorry, I was an idiot and didn't test it any further. It appears that any time I die, that error pops up. Not just from the pit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  13. Joshwoakes

Thanks for the bug report i will look into the problem to try and get it fixed. 

and if your wondering why it fades to a blue screen and display the error like that is because i programmed it do that when ever an error occurs to make it easier for me and anyone else who comes across an error screen like this to see the error clearly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  14. Joshwoakes

Sorry if this counts as topic bumpdouble post. but anyway there is a new updaterelease for unfair sonic one. yes i know it's only be a short  amount of time or a month but i feel that this current build is ready to be shown off to the pubic. Once again as i don't want spoil too much of it there are no screenshots or gameplay videos. posting your own screenshots or gameplay videos is optional.

Reminder: this hack is designed to frustrate you also i highly recommend you use save states.

Updates:

• difficultly increased even more (Mainly object placement changed)
    • Added Unlockables
    • Added, Edited and changed some of the music
    • Updated Selection screen controls (up, down to switch main selection, A to jump to sound selectsound test, B and Start to play soundmusic in sound selectsound test and start to level or special stage)
    • Monitors now officially kill sonic instead of just resetting the level 
    • Unable to pause game bug fixed
    • New Gimmick: "S" monitors and "goggles" monitors are the only monitors that don't kill sonic
    • updated title cards 
    • Rings only count as bonuses in end level results screen

Version: 1.45

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?upqw1r03n2gb9px

Feel free to give out your opinions on this build and please report any issuesproblems and bugs you find in this build of unfair sonic one. if you have any suggestions for later builds feel free to let me know.

Credits:

Once again. special thanks to kosmof for helping with beta testingplay testingbug testing.

Edit: update link with checksum fix

Edit2: Sonic Death Error bug should be fixed

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  15. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

The ROM hasn't been padded to an even value, meaning that the checksum will return incorrect.

16. Joshwoakes

Whoops, i'll quickly fix that and update the link.

Anyway on your emulator you should have a setting that bypasses the checksum. 

Edit: link in the one post up (the one above the one above this one) is now updated

17. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I know.

Anyhow, your error:

move.w #0,$899(a0)

It's at address 0001B12A. 68k can't write words or longwords to odd addresses. I imagine it can't read them, either. Check the listing file.

RaideinSlash's error screen first shows you the ROM address of the responsible instruction (it actually point at the instruction after it), and then the odd address that was being written to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.