Widescreen emulator!

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Trickster, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Trickster

Trickster Well-Known Member Member

Well I'm not gonna say too much, I didn't make this but it savagely catched my eyes enough to make this thread
    What's the next step? Widescreen Sonic hacks? It's a dream coming true!!! ;u;

[​IMG]

Credits to @heyjoeway and @greendev123 (A.K.A. Cuckydev) they're responsible for this insane achievement!
    Also, be sure to check out their stuff :3

Crimson Neo, RouRouRou, KCEXE and 4 others like this.
  2. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

First, there was compatibility with wide-screen support with GameCube, then with N64. Heck, there was a 3D NES. Now this?! Game and emulation vastly grew over the years. I can't wait for this to release.

Trickster likes this.
  3. This seems like the next step to emulation! Who knows whats next, 4K widescreen lol

Although if emulators start havin' all this crazy stuff i'm fine with it as long as you can disable it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2020
  4. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

Buddy, you just wasted 2 of 10 of your posts. After this, the staff will decide if you're a member or not depending on how you are on the forum. Be wise with posts, please.

5. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Please don't backseat mod. =P

Widescreen emulation is a *very* shaky ground. This is intentional breaking of hardware compatibility that really blurs the lines between where this is a hobby of working with hardware we love and making some new system that arbitrarily follows old rules only when convenient. A lot of thought needs to be put into how this progresses. Additionally, no standards established, so even if this was a standard adoption, implementations could vary, causing further fragmentation.

I'm naturally *very* cautious about such a development, as it very much can open up a box of controversy that can't be undone. I wouldn't recommend just simply leaping into it, but really taking a step back and considering the consequences of embracing this.

Misinko, PokeTogeKiss, Kilo and 3 others like this.
  6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

In my opinion; the emulator should have a unique identification method, let's say for example the hardware version number at address A10001 being set in a way whereby hardware (and other emulators) will not possibly have. That way, games and hacks can be programmed to identify and support rendering for the wider screen for this emulator, however, can still be compatible with original hardware, without wasting CPU time on rendering further than expected.

7. PokeTogeKiss

PokeTogeKiss That one plonker who draws green hedgehogs. Member

I agree with Lazlo and Markey - we shouldn't go in head-first, but we shouldn't close the door, either. Maybe have widescreen be toggleable by the player?