• Please log in to reply
3386 replies to this topic

#2179 Animemaster

Animemaster

Lets get to work!

• Pro User
  • 1035 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hm... couldn't be an emulator could it?(Don't ask me why I thought it). Though I would not know why, or maybe something to do with building a rom or disassembling it I'm not sure.

#2180 Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

The 8-bit games need more love!

• Pro User
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Hacking both the 8-bit and 16-bit Sonic games, collecting Sonic merchandise, cats, hedgehogs.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

So this is a preview of a hack me and another member on SR are working on. And this isn't a mockup. :V
Posted Image

@ MJ Looks like a ROM compiler, something you could make homebrew games with. I can't wait to see it when it's done. :D

#2181 StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear

• Administrator
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

My hack is nearly finished, and when it is, I'll have a new project I'll be working on, can anyone guess what it is?

Posted Image

Looks like a disassembler that runs in the MD, which would be amazing if it is. Btw, it should be Label, not Lable :D

#2182 MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

3 Super Emeralds

• Pro User
  • 1677 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Btw, it should be Label, not Lable :D

Oh bollocks, thanks for that (not that it matters considering it's only temporary). No, it's an assembler, I thought I'd give a go at trying to make one, and it seems to be going great so far, the main reason I've wanted to make one is due to wanting certain features that our current assemblers don't (or can't) have. If I make one, then I'll have full control over what I want it to do.

So this is a preview of a hack me and another member on SR are working on. And this isn't a mockup. :V
Posted Image

@ MJ Looks like a ROM compiler, something you could make homebrew games with. I can't wait to see it when it's done. :D

VERY cool, do you plan on giving him tails and the ability to fly? That would be so awesome if you could!

#2183 Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

• Pro User
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Hacking both the 8-bit and 16-bit Sonic games, collecting Sonic merchandise, cats, hedgehogs.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

I've already ported most of the flying code from Sonic Chaos, but it looks strange since I don't have the flying animation yet. xD It's only missing a few more lines of code, such as his flying counter. As for his tails, I need to figure out how the animations work and such, something I don't know well yet. :V

#2184 SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum

6 Chaos Emeralds

• Pro User
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

@MJ: next step is to build your own megadrive from scratch. xD
(What features are you talking about btw?)

@Ravenfreak: That's just exactly what the 8-bit S2 always needed. It was a huge disappointment to see Tails in the title card screens but not in game.

#2185 Professor Neo

Professor Neo

• Trialist
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:art, computers, video games, basketball, Sonic, Mario, Pokemon

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

These four backgrounds shown below were made for the first zone of an upcoming hack that DeoxysKyogre and I have started. Honestly speaking, some of the graphics used were rips from other Sonic games, but I altered their palettes.The first BG (for Act 1) is original, except for the bushes that are from SYZ. This BG has a GHZ-like touch to it--especially with the loop you see in the horizon.The second BG (for Act 2) has a nice sunset touch to it, and the mountains shown are from Sonic CD's title screen, if you happen to ask. The rocks in the lower area of the BG are from S3K's Icecap Zone.The third BG (for Act 3) has a nightlife touch to it that fits well with the mountains, unless you say otherwise.The last BG (for the boss act) uses the same mountain used in Act 2 and it uses the clouds and water ripped from Sonic Advance 1.Posted ImageI am open to any suggestions/feedback. In case you ask for the name of the zone, the zone's name is Splash Island. The BGs are not 100% final unless I receive some feedback and make necessary adjustments. Being an artist myself, it is quite practical that I show off these pieces of eye-candy art.

#2186 TheEchidna

TheEchidna

6 Chaos Emeralds

• Exile
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Man, these looks GORGEOUS! I'm really impressed with the potential of background mixing you applied on these. I see also a big effort applied. Congratulations!!

#2187 GalliumGrant

GalliumGrant

The Sega Genesect

• 383 posts
  • Interests:Playing Sonic Hacks / Spriting / Composing and Remixing

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

Wow, I'm in LOVE with these! The first two take the cake! My favourite would have to be the Act 2 Background.Those ice - floes that you recoloured to look like rocks add some awesome depth! Nice going!Offtopic: Those backgrounds are so epic I downloaded them (I gave you credit in the title).

#2188 ValleyBell

ValleyBell

2 Chaos Emeralds

• Pro User
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Actually it's a bit off-topic, because it's neither a screenshot nor a movie, but I want to show you what I worked on last week.I learned Z80 ASM and wrote my own DAC driver for S2 Recreation.Click here to download an MP3 that demonstrates all its features. The 68000 CPU does nothing more than sending the commands for a drum beat and I used the debugger to send the Sega sound.Features are:
  • Automatic bank switching
  • adjustable volume (10h levels in 1.5 db steps)
  • override the pitch value
  • reversed playback
  • looping
  • flip-flop mode
  • "low pass filter" (sort of)
  • music (drum beat) and SFX (Sega sound) priority
All features can be combined.If you want to hear the DAC driver in action, here is an MP3.What do you think?

#2189 MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

3 Super Emeralds

• Pro User
  • 1677 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

The water effect isn't "great", but it works for me, promotion dear sir!

#2190 ValleyBell

ValleyBell

2 Chaos Emeralds

• Pro User
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

Thanks.

I know that the water effect doesn't sound too good. Maybe I'll try to improve the sample quality, but I expect that the additional calculations slow it down a bit.
At its current state, the driver's maximum sample rate is 24.2 KHz, btw, which somewhere between Sonic 1 (23.8 KHz) and Sonic 2 (24.9 KHz).

#2191 redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS

• Pro User
  • 1878 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Should of used a song that everyone recognised instead of using Gem Runway's song so people would be able to tell the difference more, but anyway, very good work on what you've done. Especially that PCM (like SEGA) runs on the Z80 now instead, giving me more ideas to do to S2R.

And congratulations to Pro User, I knew it wouldn't take you long to get there =P

#2192 Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

• Pro User
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

So as you know i've been working on a S3K hack, and I gave Knuckles and Sonic a new move. But I wasn't sure what to give Tails. I suck at sprite art, so giving him a completely new move would be out of the question, because then i'd have to make the sprites. :V So instead, I thought "Why not give him the elemental shield moves?" Though so far I gave him the Lightning Jump, though it's kind of pointless since he can fly. :V Here's a video, not much but meh.

What do you think? Should I give him all the shield moves, just the flame dash or think of something else?

#2193 MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

3 Super Emeralds

• Pro User
  • 1677 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Interesting, how does it work? i.e. What buttons are required to press? Due to Tails having A, B or C pressed twice for flying, I'd assume there's a control change somewhere.

#2194 Psycho RFG

Psycho RFG

3 Chaos Emeralds

• 196 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yes, MarkeyJester, you are right because if you can't fly with the shields it wouldn't be good :S

#2195 SuperEgg

SuperEgg

Say what again Mutha Fucka! I dare you, no I DOUBLE dog dare

• Pro User
  • 733 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

I'm working on something that has to do with this game.....

Posted Image

That I've edited to do this.....

Posted Image

and now is user (and soon SSRG repository) friendly to new folks and regulars alike that uses this code.....

;=================================================================
; Load Object Array Subordinates
;=================================================================

Load_Objects: ; Offset_0x00CFD0: ; Load Objects List Routine
lea ($FFFFB000).w, A0
moveq #$7F, D7
moveq #$00, D0
cmpi.b #$06, ($FFFFB024).w
bcc.s Load_Objects3
Load_Objects2:
move.b (A0), D0
beq.s Load_Objects2a
add.w D0, D0
add.w D0, D0
move.l ObjectListArray-$04(PC, D0), A1 ; Load Object List Array
jsr (A1)
moveq #$00, D0
Load_Objects2a:
lea $0040(A0), A0
dbra D7, Load_Objects2
rts
Load_Objects3:
moveq #$1F, D7
bsr.s Load_Objects2
moveq #$5F, D7

Wonder what it could be.....
(hint: check the spoiler if you really need :P )

Spoiler

#2196 redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS

• Pro User
  • 1878 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

So as you know i've been working on a S3K hack, and I gave Knuckles and Sonic a new move. But I wasn't sure what to give Tails. I suck at sprite art, so giving him a completely new move would be out of the question, because then i'd have to make the sprites. :V So instead, I thought "Why not give him the elemental shield moves?" Though so far I gave him the Lightning Jump, though it's kind of pointless since he can fly. :V Here's a video, not much but meh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwybwbVm32c&feature=youtu.be
What do you think? Should I give him all the shield moves, just the flame dash or think of something else?

What you should do is when he has these shields, let him do what Sonic does with these shields when you press A and/or B, but still let Tails fly when you press C?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users