Path swapper visuals for SonED2?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by sparks2004, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparks2004

sparks2004 Newcomer Member

This is my first post so I'm not sure if I put it in the correct section. I'm looking of the path swapper visuals for SonED2 that was made by Thorn. It seems that the link on

Sonic Retro is broken. I was wondering if someone could donate that to me. This would be greatly appreciated!

2. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

Are you sure the link on Retro is broken? I just tried and it worked absolutely fine.

This is the url I got it from, not ten seconds ago, it definitely works.

If it were down, wouldn't it be more prudent to post in Thorn's topic to tell him that his link is down, than have someone else find you a link?

3. sparks2004

This is what I get when I check the url you just gave me. Well if I had to guess, I say it won't let me download it since I'm not a member of that forum.

4. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

5. sparks2004

Patched up my SonED2 and it's working like a charm. Just gotta figure out how to use them, thanks a million SOTI

6. Thorn

Thorn wroar Member

^ It's easy enough. To read them, a 0 on the left means you'll go to plane 0 if you pass through them by moving left, and the same for a 1 or values on the right, or top or bottom, etc. A red value means that you'll display behind any high-plane art, and a yellow value means that you'll show above all art. Note that a subtype of 80 or more means that you have to be on a surface to trigger it (you'll mostly use these for loops or running on walls), and mirrored path swappers do NOT work as shown by the visuals -- those are used few and far between, though.

I frequently follow a route with my eyes, and every time I change to plane 1, I press E to view Plane 1 solids, and W if I change into Plane 0. It's that simple.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2009
  7. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

You wont need the path swappers visuals things its easy to work with them.

Path 0 is low plane and Path 1 is high plane. High plane is like you set a window to be on top, the toppest layer. Low plane is below the high layer.

Basically the path swappers tells the size and horizontal/vertical switching. It also checks how to change character's layer depending on the position so its either left and up or right and down. You could also select both left up right down.

To check the plane, create a ring and move it with the mouse cursor (in soned2) and if its below everything, its low plane and if its above, its high plane. You can also set objects to be in high or low plane. There is a small bug in my hack where big sonic in the title screen is above the banner, basically he is switched to high plane for some reason.

8. Thorn

Thorn wroar Member

^ Seeing if rings and objects are in front of or behind scenery doesn't tell you if Sonic will be, because if he's hit a path swapper that forces him into high plane, he'll show up in front of things while rings and objects (or at least most of them; I'm aware of the priority bit) show behind things. Also, it's nice that you've explained what path swappers do, but what you haven't done is given an explanation as to which path swapper subtypes change planes in what ways. Without the visuals, you have to rest the cursor on each swapper to see its subtype and how it works. The visuals tell you instantly how major swappers work, and the only things they don't tell about are mirrored swappers, and if you must be on a surface to trigger a swapper; however, these are special cases and it's pretty easy to tell when to use a swapper of these two types.

I find it easier to memorize two numbers and two colors and then look at the level layout than to rest the cursor on each one individually. But, hey, to each his own.

9. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

You can hover the cursor on the pathswapper and read the subtype, you dont have to be lazy and just look at the colour. If he just wants to know what plane he wants to send sonic to, he could use a ring to check the plane and put the approciate path swapper.

10. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

Apparently, efficient now means lazy.

Dragging a ring under it indeed...

By all means, keep using your backwards, stone-age-man-banging-a-rock-against-his-knee methods of making fire. We'll just stay up here and use our zippo's, m'kay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.