Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

Thanks Markey, that has made me understand how the PLC's work. But I still have the problem of missing signpost art

Edit: Nevermind problem was this:

Code:

dc.l Nem_Lamp  ; lamppost

dc.w $F400

Had to change it to the value from the spindash guide.

Code:

dc.l Nem_Lamp  ; lamppost

dc.w $D800

[/CODE]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
  2. Pokepunch

Sorry about the double post, but I have a new problem. I have ported the Shield from Sonic 2 to my hack and it works like it should:

[​IMG]

But when I get an Invinciblity the art is messed up:

[​IMG]

I am aware that they are the same object but I have tried making them each load there own animation and mapping with no success.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  3. ProfessorRenderer

ProfessorRenderer Certified Bear Scientist Member

Ok, I was going back to my Sonic hack (from SRB2) and I remembered that my Centiseconds were still messed up. Like I said on the IRC, It only shows 00:00:. Anyone know how to fix it?

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

cookietheguineapig: It's random sprites all over the screen, so I would say that either you have no mapping list address written to $04 of the object (or an incorrect location was moved to $04), it could also be the value in $1A being higher than the number of entires available in the mapping list (this might also mean that if it's animated, then the animation script has frame ID's which are higher than the number of entires available in the mapping list).

Can't tell much from this angle though, you'll need to provide more information.

Jake92: I'm sorry if I sound ignorant here, but your post looks like it's basically asking someone to provide you with a fix, no questions asked, but written in the context to try and mask or hide that factor.

Perhaps show us what "you've" tried doing so far to fix your issue, if we can see how hard you've worked to get what you would like, then it would persuade more of us to shed you in a good direction.

Another (and more important thing) is; Could you show us exactly what you mean by "messed up"? You haven't given us enough information for us to help you.

Remember People: Provide more information, sometimes a screenshot isn't enough.

5. ProfessorRenderer

I mean it's not working to count the seconds on them. And when I finish the level, it said that I got 50,000 points due to the time not working.

6. Pokepunch

Ok then here is a rom for you to test.

EDIT: I moved the shield to a differnt object and fixed things for that. Now when I get an Invincibilty this happens:

[​IMG]

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Your shield art is too big, it just about spills over the first 4 star tiles in V-Ram:

Original (Sonic 1):

[​IMG]

Your rom:

[​IMG]

It looks as though you've moved the stars, if so, have you re-arranged the V-Ram read address of the stars object? Even if you did, the rabbits art would display with the stars.

To the point, your shield art cannot fit in that V-Ram space without something being removed.

8. DarkLeach

DarkLeach Well-Known Member Member

I'm putting a new font in Sonic 1 and I need help on how to edit the SCOR, RINGS, and TIME. Are they compressed? I edited the things that were uncompressed such as the Level Select Text, Life Count, and the HUD in the "artunc" folder. Where could I find the SCOR, RINGS, and TIME?

Here's a screenshot showing the font I imported:

/monthly_01_2012/post-1593-0-00756100-1326657282_thumb.png /monthly_01_2012/post-1593-0-47363900-1326657372_thumb.png

Any help would be appreciated. :(

EDIT: Please don't worry about what the Level Select says, it is no longer valid, as I haven't updated it yet, I just wanted to show the font.

Attached Files:

9. Pokepunch

Well the animals can go then, They are not even used. So how would I go about removing them?

Edit: DarkLeach7 the HUD art is in the artnem folder, It is called HUD.bin

10. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Cookietheguineapig: You could just deleate the file of the animals, then remove any instances of it being loaded in Asm. Or, considering I got the sonic 2 shield in with no problem, you proberly have unecessary amount of shield art not needed. You could look at how the sonic 1 shield is displayed so you wouldn't use anymore art space than the original shield. But anyways alternately, open up the animals file in sonMapedED, go to edit, tiles, delete select tiles. Repeat until all of the art is gone.

DarkLeach7: I'm really sorry but, this is something I found almost instantly when I was new to sonic hacking. Hud.bin in artnem for the score,time,rings. Hud.bin in artunc for the numbers. Self explanatory.

11. DarkLeach

Alright I now know where it is, so how do I decompress it so I can edit it in TLP? It is compressed right?

12. Pokepunch

Ok I deleted the animal PLC's and now this happens:

Shield art:

[​IMG]

Invincibilty art:

[​IMG]

Now what should I do?

PS: DarkLeach you should use SonMapEd its the best.

13. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

This is a clear problem of VRAM space. You could make their art to load uncompressed, then you could write a code wich would be responsible of use the same VRAM address for the different objects by loading the shield art when the shield gets activated, same for the invincibility. Similar procedure seems to be used on Sonic 3 for loading the art of the different shields used in the game.

14. DarkLeach

Thanks! I was able to un/re compress the art with SonMapEd! I'm still going to use TLP to Edit it though, I can't figure out how to edit things in SonMapEd.

I just have to find the file that has the GFX for the BONU at the end of the level!

/monthly_01_2012/post-1593-0-00150800-1326661137_thumb.png /monthly_01_2012/post-1593-0-56051000-1326661144_thumb.png

EDIT: I found it! :(

/monthly_01_2012/post-1593-0-96891000-1326661779_thumb.png

Attached Files:

15. Pokepunch

@Eduardo Knuckles: I dont think I could do such coding, I dont have enough knowledge of ASM yet. But I have removed all the animals from the PLC's, how would I change the VRAM postion of the Stars?

@DarkLeach: Here is a simple guide that teaches you how to use SonMapEd for art and mapping editing.

16. ProfessorRenderer

Uhhh, are you going to answer to my reply MJ?

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I'll reply to a thread when I want to reply, you haven't even given me a chance, I have a life you know, I have work, I have stuff to do outside of the internet, you need to be a little more patient, how you expect to understand the logics of assembly mathematics and machine specifics of a Mega Drive with an impatient motive is beyond me =$

I'm not sure what you've done, we still have little information on your problem, all we know is that your results give you 50,000 points regardless of time, but there could be millions of reasons why, it could be that you've messed with the end of level results card object, it could be that you've moved the timer somewhere else that the HUD object can read, that the end of level results cannot, it could be that you're clearing the timer before the results can read it, there are oh so so so so sooooo many things that it could be, as I said before, you need to give us more information.

18. DarkLeach

I used this tutorial: and I have an issue. I followed the tutorial and whenever I try to build I get things like this:

C: ... S1HIVESONIC1.ASM<38771> : Error: Symbol 'music75' not defined

There's more errors with more line numbers with other Music Numbers but the whole process goes too fast for CamStudio to Capture.

Any Help Would be Appreciated. :(

19. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    This is a simple fix really. Go to the asm and look for

Code:
    Music81:

Next, Copy this whole piece

Code:

Music81: binclude sound/music81.bin

align 2

and paste it right above it.

Next, edit the said copy to

Code:

Music75: binclude sound/music81.bin

align 2

Do it over and over, but change the Subname. (ex- Music76, Music 77- Music7F)

That should fix it.

[/CODE]

20. DarkLeach

My Music81 Says this:

Code:

Music81: incbin soundmusic81.bin

even

Not this:

Code:

Music81: binclude sound/music81.bin

align 2