Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

have you edited the Obj87 code & have up Nemesis compressed Tails art, mappings & animations?

Obj87_Main2: ; XREF: Obj87_Main
    addq.b #2,$25(a0)
    move.l #Map_obj87,4(a0)
    move.w #$3E1,2(a0)
    move.b #4,1(a0)
    clr.b $22(a0)
    move.b #2,$18(a0)
    move.b #0,$1A(a0)
    move.w #$50,$30(a0) ; set duration for Sonic to pause

Changes can be made here for maps (i think art too)

Obj87_Animate: ; XREF: Obj87_Index
    lea (Ani_obj87).l,a1
    jmp AnimateSprite

animations here

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I mistook the jsr for a jmp. Disregard.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  3. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Not a Hacking question, but rather a Hacking contest question.

I know Beta hacks have been submitted. My question is if one with only extra characters, Custom Music, very little level editing & some errors is allowed to be submitted, or are those errors to be fixed first, Characters Complete, all levels changed to submit?

4. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

It doesn't have to be bugless; my entry of S2: TRoC this past year was terribly incomplete and I could still submit. All that consisted of was the first two acts of Frosty Dusk, only playable as Sonic. :V

edit: Bad me, quoting the post above.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  5. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

If you think its bugginess detracts from its quality, you can suggest for it to be partial private, so that it will be entered and judged, but not offered to the general public.

6. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

Hey, it'd be good if you asked near the next Contest. You can submit it anyway, just make sense that bugs aren't game-breaking. If you want people check your hack immediately, do it. If you don't want people playing buggy incomplete product, don't do it. And, like Pacguy said, you can just make Partial-Private.

7. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

If you think its bugginess detracts from its quality, you can suggest for it to be partial private, so that it will be entered and judged, but not offered to the general public.

PacGuy, You could say mine does...

...  Partial-Private? Ok, I was thinking of submitting mine  in 2015, there's only lagging in Labyrinth Zone & SBZ3, & a LockUp after the first checkpoint taking the bottom route in SBZ1. There's a possible game over in Demo Sequence & Credits. I'd probably submit mine once Richter's complete.

8. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

[​IMG]

I have this bug in my hack where I can not go through a hole in the wall. For some reason Sonic just pushes against it. 

Help is appreciated.

9. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

Judging by the screenshot, your use of object 44 is the issue. You've got 1 above the tunnel entrance where it isn't needed(unless you've edited the original chunk's collision), which may make the gap too small to fit through or the one in the ground is too high up and you're clipping the top of it.

10. DumbLemon

DumbLemon am back Member

It works now. Thanks. Never knew that the chunk had its own wall.

11. Pacca

How would I add code to skip the drowning sequence in S3k (github disasm)? It's so badly labeled that I can't tell where I should add the branch to skip the code :/

12. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Hmm...

*Opens sonic3k.asm, searches 'bubble', finds reference to a 'Obj_Air_CountDown', goes to label Obj_Air_CountDown, scrolls down, finds branch to 'Player_TestAirTimer', goes to Player_TestAirTimer, reads code and how it is bypassed when a bubble shield is used, or if player is Hyper, among other situations*

You sure about that?

13. Pacca

I wasn't able to find the part of Player_TestAirTimer that checked if you were hyper or had a bubble shield. Ideally, every branch that's specific to hyper sonic should say "Branch if hyper".

14. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

I guess this is kinda basic but kinda not but I feel a need to ask, because this particular question has me more than a bit stumped.

If following nineko's MIDI to XM to SMPS guide, does a Time Signature event (event 88) count as a Set Tempo event (event 81) (i.e. should I delete it)? I say this because FL Studio spits out the former when exporting a song as a MIDI, as opposed to spitting out the latter.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  15. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Time Signature events are ignored when you import a MIDI in Mod Plug Tracker. I just tried to set all the 4 parameters of a Time Signature event to invalid values, and Mod Plug Tracker still imported the MIDI in the same way.

16. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Edit: second thought, help needed

I started over again to erase all kinds of bugs & now am using Project Sonic 1 Two-Eight kraminator special release 2 fixed for Incbins & evens instead of Bincludes & align 2s.

I overwritten almost everything & since i don't use sonic 1's Art, Anim, Map & Dplc, & use Sonic 2's instead for Super Sonic & Spindash. I copied all character data from the backup asm to s1.asm,

Went through with porting spindash making sure to exclude sound things due to making it address music. Overwritten the entire LoadSonicDynPLC with the asm files i has before for each character (SPLCDMA.asm, RPLCDMA.asm, & NPLCDMA.asm)

Build it & Sonic is not there. I commented out character branches to see if that was the problem & nothing. I must've done something wrong.

Edit: Will get pics up to compare Sonic with DmaQueue & Without DMAQueue

Final Edit: All i'm gonna say is good thing for backups

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  17. Pacca

How do you edit S3Ks' title card mappings? I've searched all through out the disassembly and the asm file, and have found nothing :(

18. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

It appears that each zone has a unique set of kosm-compressed tiles, referenced by the array TitleCard_LevelGfx in sonic3k.asm, and the sprite mappings are in General/Title/Map - S3 card.asm. So getting a particular name to display is a combination of putting the correct tiles in the art file and arranging the mappings for that level.

19. Pacca

How would I get the art to line up with the mappings? The entire mappings file doesn't display the proper art at all, and loads gibrish in SonMapEd (although I can see where the level names are supposed to go, due to the arrangment of the garbled graphics). Also, does this lets you edit all the title cards from S3 and SK?

20. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

PacGuy - If you tried everything to get it to load in SonMapEd (load uncompressed, load nemesis compressed, load kosinski compressed) and nothing works, try using the sega data compressor to uncompress it, load in SonMapEd as Uncompressed, Save as originally compressed.

On another note, question concerning Porting the DMA Queue to sonic 1.

First off I had to start over somewhat. Now using Sonic 1 Kram 2-8 Address to try to Port HPZ to sonic 1. I have the Spindash completely ported (keep in mind using Sonic 2's Art,Map,DPLC, anim in Sonic 1) and notice something about the points. Before Porting DMA queue, I noticed the points were fine, but when I ported is when i seen it bugged out.

[​IMG]

this is from a scrapped sonic project of mine when I was using ESE2, you can see the points art loads fine.

[​IMG]

Now here is the one I've started over on & readded Sonic 2's Art, Map, DPLC  Anims and Spindash - Dust & lamppost fix with the DMA queue ported.

Where does this problem lie?

Edit: Just seen as more badniks were destroyed & the points racked up,

Hit 1 - Bugged

hit 2 - somewhat bugged, at least 00 is seen

hit 3 - 500 points

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014