Putting a song in each act

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by sonicstheman, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonicstheman

sonicstheman Active Member Exiled

Same as title.

2. Thorn

Thorn wroar Member

Your title AND your post are both sentence fragments. Given that there's no question to answer, I get the three points, right?

...unless you're asking "How do I put a song in every act?", which you'd do via the following:

1. Open up music slots 94 through 9F, giving you exactly 12 extra tracks (six for act 2, six for act 3, and you use the original slots from 81 to 86 for act 1). There's tutorials around on how to do this, although it's such a small change that a tutorial isn't absolutely necessary.

2. Create all of the tracks you want, and fill the extra slots with them.

3. The game knows which music to play in a given act based on the files "misc/muslist1.bin" and "misc/muslist2.bin". First, make copies of these that replace the music IDs inside with the IDs you want called for Act 2. Repeat the process for Act 3. You'll need to go to where these files are called in the ASM file and make checks for if the current act is two or three (if they both fail, you're in act one, of course). If an act check succeeds, have it call your respective custom files.

Done! There it is in plain English. I propose that nobody start spilling ASM unless sonicstheman gets hung up and shows what he/she tried, at the very least.

This tutorial makes a big assumption; namely, that you're modifying Sonic 1. You didn't even say which game you were using... smooth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  3. sonicstheman

sonicstheman Active Member Exiled

Yeah I am asking How do I put a song in every act in Sonic 1, and I don't understand.

4. Thorn

Thorn wroar Member

It's a shame that you don't understand, but that's the logic behind it. If you can't at least make an attempt to turn that logic into ASM, then I'll tell you what I tell everybody else: if you're bad at thing x but good at thing y, load your hack with enough y to show that you're competent, and you're more likely to get help with x.

Truth be told, I don't actually think you have 12 music tracks in Sonic 1 format that can be added to the game, but I can't prove that, so I won't say anything more about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  5. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

actually I gave him a fair bit of my music ports so this is probably why he's asking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.