help with loops "sonic 1"

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by sparks2004, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparks2004

sparks2004 Newcomer Member

In labyrith zone I've made a custom loop identical to starlight zone, but I can't seem to get to get i to work. I tried using the space bar but no dice. I could really use sone help. thanks in advance.

here's some screens if that help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. andlabs

andlabs Newcomer Member

My intuition is that you don't have the path set up right. When coming into the loop, Sonic should be in front of the wall. When Sonic crosses the path swap object at the top of the loop (you did put one there, did you?), Sonic should have collision detection with the wall, which should then be solid.

Hope that helps.

Also cool art.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
  3. sparks2004

I don't recall Sonic 1 having path swappers? or do it?

4. Thorn

Thorn wroar Member

@andlabs: Sonic 1 doesn't use path swappers.

You have to do three additional things on top of just pressing the Space Bar in SonED2.

1. Comment out the ASM code that checks if you're in Green Hill or Star Light before executing loop/tube code

2. Add loop and tube chunk IDs to the file that stores them (there should be room for two of each per zone)

3. Have a chunk with an ID one greater than your loop chunk, and set it so that the former chunk has bottom/right/top collision and the latter has bottom/left/top collision

I don't remember the file's name nor do I remember the name of the label for the code; I work extensively with Sonic 2 instead of 1.

5. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

The data for storing loops is loopnums.bin. Add the loop number(s) in a hex editor.

6. sparks2004

thank you everyone who help me with my loop problem i finally got it to work!! and one more question. Is it possible to make a giant loop made from four 256x256 chunks?

7. Oerg866

Oerg866 Well-Known Member Member

Hm.. it was at least possible like that in Sonic 2 (see Aquatic Ruin)

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

most stuff is possible (I guess people don't see how much power they have over the system =P), and yes this is possible, but how you'd like to go about doing that is another question, I'd say give it a go, at least attempt it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.