Unused memory locations, Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Unspoken, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unspoken

Unspoken Well-Known Member Member

Hi does anyone know if there any unused RAM locations in Sonic 1? and if so can I have them?

2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

There are far over 9000 unused RAM adresses. The way you need to look for them is to press Ctrl+F and type in $FFFFFXXX (while you need to replace XXX with any random hex number. And if this number doesn't exsists, you can use it.

Just keep 2 things in mind:

1. There is RAM code which is going over like $100-$1000 RAM adresses (like $FFFFD000, which is Sonic). I would only search at RAM adresses starting at $FFFFFFA0.

2. Only search for even numbers. Because if you for example look for $FFFFFFA5, you might don't find anything, but maybe $FFFFFFA4 is a word, which means it also uses $FFFFFFA5. This may causes errors

At least, this is the way how I'm doing it and I never had any problems. :)

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFF90) - ($FFFFFF91) - ($FFFFFF92) - ($FFFFFF93)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFF94) - ($FFFFFF95) - ($FFFFFF96) - ($FFFFFF97)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFF98) - ($FFFFFF99) - ($FFFFFF9A) - ($FFFFFF9B)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFF9C) - ($FFFFFF9D) - ($FFFFFF9E) - ($FFFFFF9F)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFA0) - ($FFFFFFA1) - ($FFFFFFA2) - ($FFFFFFA3)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFA4) - ($FFFFFFA5) - ($FFFFFFA6) - ($FFFFFFA7)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFA8) - ($FFFFFFA9) - ($FFFFFFAA) - ($FFFFFFAB)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFAC) - ($FFFFFFAD) - ($FFFFFFAE) - ($FFFFFFAF)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFB0) - ($FFFFFFB1) - ($FFFFFFB2) - ($FFFFFFB3)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFB4) - ($FFFFFFB5) - ($FFFFFFB6) - ($FFFFFFB7)

; [[[sonic Team]]] ->> ($FFFFFFB8) - ($FFFFFFB9) - ($FFFFFFBA) - ($FFFFFFBB)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFBC) - ($FFFFFFBD) - ($FFFFFFBE) - ($FFFFFFBF)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFC0) - ($FFFFFFC1) - ($FFFFFFC2) - ($FFFFFFC3)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFC4) - ($FFFFFFC5) - ($FFFFFFC6) - ($FFFFFFC7)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFC8) - ($FFFFFFC9) - ($FFFFFFCA) - ($FFFFFFCB)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFCC) - ($FFFFFFCD) - ($FFFFFFCE) - ($FFFFFFCF)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFD0) - ($FFFFFFD1) - ($FFFFFFD2) - ($FFFFFFD3)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFD4) - ($FFFFFFD5) - ($FFFFFFD6) - ($FFFFFFD7)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFD8) - ($FFFFFFD9) - ($FFFFFFDA) - ($FFFFFFDB)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFDC) - ($FFFFFFDD) - ($FFFFFFDE) - ($FFFFFFDF)

; [[[sonic Team]]] ->> ($FFFFFFE0) - ($FFFFFFE1) - ($FFFFFFE2) - ($FFFFFFE3)

; [[[sonic Team]]] ->> ($FFFFFFE4) - ($FFFFFFE5) - ($FFFFFFE6) - ($FFFFFFE7)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFE8) - ($FFFFFFE9)

; [[[sonic Team]]] ->> ($FFFFFFEA) - ($FFFFFFEB) - ($FFFFFFEC) - ($FFFFFFED)

; [[[sonic Team]]] ->> ($FFFFFFEE) - ($FFFFFFEF) - ($FFFFFFF0) - ($FFFFFFF1)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFF2) - ($FFFFFFF3)

; >>>Free Space<<< ->> ($FFFFFFF4) - ($FFFFFFF5) - ($FFFFFFF6) - ($FFFFFFF7)

; [[[sonic Team]]] ->> ($FFFFFFF8) - ($FFFFFFF9) - ($FFFFFFFA) - ($FFFFFFFB)

; [[[sonic Team]]] ->> ($FFFFFFFC) - ($FFFFFFFD) - ($FFFFFFFE) - ($FFFFFFFF)

;

; >>>Free Space<<< = Go Wild!

; [[[sonic Team]]] = DO NOT TOUCH!

(I recommend copying this into your source somewhere for future references)

Space lower than $FFFFFF90 appears to get wiped every time the game mode (Or at least level) is restarted/changed, just so you're aware, and that's one reason I never bothered checking them spaces.

If you're desperate for more space, I say try shortening spaces used such as the Object ram (SST), OK, it's not recommended I know, but it's an idea.

4. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

5. MrSpade

MrSpade It's meant to be Mr_Spad3 but y'know... Member

[​IMG]

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

[​IMG]

But no, seriously now, I'm not a member of staff and this isn't for me to deal with (Plus I noticed by your profile, you're 13 years of age), so I'll be subtle with this. Basically on the forums you're expected to be a bit more mature with what you post, post something that relates to the topic at hand and that's valid with a point. But something like..

..Isn't exactly clever, nor does it help anyone in this thread, it hasn't really anything to do with Memory locations in Sonic 1, which makes it.. well... pointless to say the least, and a waste of a post. sure everyone likes to express their happiness or hilarity of something in the topic, but they take the time to back that up with something valid that stays involved within the topic to compensate for it. Think before you post, ask yourself, will anyone benefit from it? is it a good point? does it work with what the topic is asking?

(OK, truth be known, I'm no better with posting on forums, I can think of a million people who could post better points than me, so I'll stop right here.)

On topic now: I've found that if you reduce the amount of chunks you use in the levels of Sonic 1 to 3F chunks, you have ram space from FFFF8000 to FFFFA800. which is about 2000 to 2800 bytes of free space (Lets hope you're all good at laying out in S1 with 3F chunks though =P)

7. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Am sorry ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
  8. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Replying with only a emotion icon. Where the hell this guy think he was?? In MSN Messenger?

Oh, shit. :)

Thanks MarkeyJester for the locations, I added it to my source. Now I have a bit more of free space for new stuff. ;)

9. RandomAvatarFan

RandomAvatarFan Well-Known Member Member

Wow, I must thank you guys for bumping this topic. I thought I was going to have to hunt through archives to find 'em, but now it's right on top of the forums. Thanks Markey for the locations, I need them.

10. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Talking about Archives, I think this deserves to be moved there!

11. MrSpade

MrSpade It's meant to be Mr_Spad3 but y'know... Member

Fix'd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.